PDA

View Full Version : Dogs and the Gathering

Tamarack
09-26-2006, 21:01
So I'm getting excited about the gathering. But I've got one issue on my mind. While I'm in sessions what to do with my dog? I guess I'm just concerned about the day time she'll get bored and destroy the tent.:eek: She's very good at shredding paper (10pg term papers too!) I'm sure that nylon, mosquito netting would not be a far stretch. My other option is to keep her in the car durring those sessions with the windows down but again she is nic named Razer Beak for a reason. I might have no interior car to return to. I think she would be fine in the evening hours and overnight in the tent with me. Its just durring the day that she needs to be kenneled er go to the babysitters. She is a therapy dog in training so some places (home depo, hardware stores, nursing homes) I can get her in just fine. Classrooms in a university umm dunno.:confused:

anyone know a good kennel/babysitter who could look after my Golden Retriever? I'll be in Canada the week before and will be going to the Gathering straight from there. I've gotten info about one Kennel;
W B Kennel & Boarding House (http://www.amazon.com/gp/yp/B000CT9E8S/103-4684020-5478251?ie=UTF8&n=3999141&qid=1159285507&sr=60-3)
37 Green Acres
Princeton, WV 24740
Phone: (304) 487-6501
anyone use these guys? Suggestions? or do I just bring an extra tarp and tie her to a good strong stirdy tree with a lean-to tarp shelter and say oh well dog, get over it, see you in a few hours.

frieden
09-28-2006, 23:44
So I'm getting excited about the gathering. But I've got one issue on my mind. While I'm in sessions what to do with my dog? I guess I'm just concerned about the day time she'll get bored and destroy the tent.:eek: She's very good at shredding paper (10pg term papers too!) I'm sure that nylon, mosquito netting would not be a far stretch. My other option is to keep her in the car durring those sessions with the windows down but again she is nic named Razer Beak for a reason. I might have no interior car to return to. I think she would be fine in the evening hours and overnight in the tent with me. Its just durring the day that she needs to be kenneled er go to the babysitters. She is a therapy dog in training so some places (home depo, hardware stores, nursing homes) I can get her in just fine. Classrooms in a university umm dunno.:confused:

anyone know a good kennel/babysitter who could look after my Golden Retriever? I'll be in Canada the week before and will be going to the Gathering straight from there. I've gotten info about one Kennel;
W B Kennel & Boarding House (http://www.amazon.com/gp/yp/B000CT9E8S/103-4684020-5478251?ie=UTF8&n=3999141&qid=1159285507&sr=60-3)
37 Green Acres
Princeton, WV 24740
Phone: (304) 487-6501
anyone use these guys? Suggestions? or do I just bring an extra tarp and tie her to a good strong stirdy tree with a lean-to tarp shelter and say oh well dog, get over it, see you in a few hours.

Tamarack,

If she is a therapy dog in training, she can go anywhere. If she is quiet, and behaves well when with you, I don't see why you can't take her. If you leave her home or in a kennel when you think people would be bothered by "a dog", then she'll never be any good as a service/therapy dog. You have to take her everywhere you go, so she'll learn how to behave in all situations. It isn't easy, and I know you feel badly about imposing on some people sometimes, but the ADA law is in place for people without patience. There are some bad apples, but many people are understanding. I can't believe how dog-friendly they are here in CA! It's great! Good luck!

Long feet
09-29-2006, 16:49
While I was living in California there was a very prominent dog-mauling case in the papers. My wife worked on the case. Anyway, there is a lot of fear of dogs out there. Some cultures are more sensitive than others as they have a different concept about and identify differently to dogs. I love them. My little dog is great, but I can understand that certain people don't want anything to do with dogs and they should not be forced to interact with them.

On the other hand Tamarack, if your dog is a therapy dog she should be allowed anywhere. In my opinion, and as far as I know in a legal opinion (which unfortunately counts more than mine), therapy dogs are allowed anywhere. Can you find out about ALDHA's policy beforehand so it is not an issue? If I make it down to the gathering I would be happy to watch your dog for short periods of time, but I will want to be in the sessions as well. I don't think that I will bring mine, as he is overly friendly, barks like crazy until he gets to play with everyone, and my wife dosen't like being left alone without the dog.

Sly
09-29-2006, 18:09
Maybe I'm wrong but it seems to me there's a huge difference between service dogs and therapy dogs. Service dogs are nesessary to help people with physical disabilites and are certified, while, if I'm not mistaken, therapy dogs aren't covered under the ADA.

hikerjohnd
09-29-2006, 18:17
therapy dogs aren't covered under the ADA.

You are correct, therapy dogs are not covered by ADA. However, therapy dogs do have a few more rights than their K9 friends. If you are in a public place and working on therapy related training then reasonable accomodations must be made. Now - defining reasonable is up to the facility. Contact the Gathering folks and see if you can bring Razor Beak along - agree to leave a session if there are any problems, but getting you pooch in public and in groups is important to therapy dog training.

Tamarack
09-29-2006, 21:31
Thanks all, but I will be Kenneling her. I have gotten some info about local places to babysit the 4 legged kid. I just have to call them. Thank you for your input. See you there :D

Long feet
10-08-2006, 11:22
It looks like I will have to bring my dog to the gathering. Tamarack, did you ever find out about the rules? Are dogs allowed? I bring my dog everywhere when I go out to do errands. I put him in a little bag, and he is fine unless I put the bag down, or he sees other dogs, he will then bark like crazy until he gets to play. Hopefully he can sit in my lap while in sessions. Please let me know if you found out anything. Thanks.

Sly
10-08-2006, 14:19
Straight from the Gathering coordinator, "Dogs are welcome at the Gathering on leashes, but not in buildings."

LIhikers
10-28-2006, 11:55
She is a therapy dog in training so some places (home depo, hardware stores, nursing homes) I can get her in just fine. Classrooms in a university umm dunno.:confused:

Having raised a dozen dogs for the local guide dog school here on Long Island, we were told that a service dog in training does NOT have to be let in, because it isn't actually a service dog yet. Many places will co-operate by letting them in either because they don't know the difference or they want to be helpful.