PDA

View Full Version : Booties?

oliander
09-26-2006, 22:23
Who here has tried lightweight booties?

Which ones are the best combination of water-resistant and breathable?

Do you hike in them, sleep in them, or both?

Thanks.

hikerjohnd
09-26-2006, 22:27
Do you have a link to any lightweight booties? I have no idea what these are...

Appalachian Tater
09-26-2006, 22:41
Oh, I thought it said "bootie". Never mind.

orangebug
09-26-2006, 22:48
I have a pair of down booties, which are only worthwhile for wearing in the tent or hammock. Walking in them would destroy them.

ZEKE #2
09-27-2006, 08:50
I will be bringing my down boots to sleep in. I find that the extra warmth to my feet really help in keeping warm at night. Mine also have nice thick cloth soles, so walking around camp in dry weather is not out of the question. I just pack them right in my sleeping bag.

hikerjohnd
09-27-2006, 08:56
OK - did a google search on these - I never would have thought to take something like this on the trail - based on what they look like I agree with orangebug - walking in them would shred them. Is the weight worth the warmth for sleeping???

Two Speed
09-27-2006, 09:10
Bought a pair of down booties back in the '80's. Still got 'em, but they've seen far more wear around the house than on the trail.

I don't think the comfort offered is worth the expense and weight for hiking in the southeast, even during winter; for me a good pair of heavy wool socks substitutes nicely. Could be a different story further north.

Kerosene
09-27-2006, 09:48
Down booties are certainly comfy and warm, but unless you're out in freezing temperatures I'm not sure that they're worth the additional weight. That said, I supplement my PossumDown Socks (http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/possumdown_socks.html) with a pair of mini-neoprene booties weighing less than 2 ounces that I found somewhere. The neoprene holds the heat in and cuts any breeze while walking in sandals or Crocs around camp.

Alligator
09-27-2006, 10:36
I have a pair of fleece booties with a hard sole that I carry in the winter. They weigh 11.6 oz compared to 10.1 oz for my Waldies. The difference is only 1.5 oz. They are not waterproof and I wear them in camp and often sleep in them. Totally worth it to me. They were $7 at what I think was an Ames store. Wish I had bought several pairs.

Happy
09-27-2006, 13:26
I discovered that for me...the best way to keep my feet warm in the winter is using the sealskinz socks...they only weigh 3.8 ounces and serve multiple purposes...hiking, at night in bag, use with crocs or sandles around camp, water crossings, third pair of socks, potholder, and are almost impossible to wear out!

trailale
10-02-2006, 12:11
I've found little use for these things on the trail. I recently decided not to pack them anymore. In the summertime, I usually end up wearing my tech amphibs around camp (I usually bring these as an extra pair of shoes and for water crossings, and for hiking in the rain). Booties would just get too mucked up. In fact the last time I used them in camp, I tore one open on a stick I was using as a tent peg. I've worn them in my sleeping bag in cold weather, but I'd rather bring an extra pair of heavy socks...which could be used on the trail if need be. I'd use booties again for winter camping in dry snow, but could definately do without them. The neoprene socks sound like a good idea.

Jaybird
10-02-2006, 12:50
Who here has tried lightweight booties?

you needs dem HEAVY-WEIGHT BOOTIES!
hehehehehehe:D