PDA

View Full Version : Tricks for chafing...

mdionne
09-26-2006, 22:50
of the nuts? :eek: :D

Blue Jay
09-26-2006, 23:22
1) Stay as clean as possible in the areas that chafe. I use a collapsible (sp??) bucket, well away from water source.
2) Some type of lubricant like Body Glide.
3) When it rains wear a skirt (kilt if you are not macho enough to wear a skirt). You do not need a wet diaper of material between your legs.

the goat
09-26-2006, 23:27
A+D Ointment (the medicated kind)

lubes and heals at the same time.

MedicineMan
09-26-2006, 23:33
i carry a small film canister with cotton balls soaked in alcohol, at night before sleep i'll wash the crotch and pits wiht a cotton ball.....in the morning i use gold bond powder and reapply maybe after lunch....this prevents for me.

Earl Grey
09-26-2006, 23:56
You get used to it after a while and your body adjusts.

Just a Hiker
09-27-2006, 00:04
Try Bag Balm....it's used for cows udders. It's great stuff for chafing.

Tinker
09-27-2006, 01:53
Unscented baby wipes and Body Glide - no undies, loose shorts.

Tinker
09-27-2006, 01:55
Oh, yeah, loose shorts with fairly long legs.:rolleyes:;):o

dirtnap
09-27-2006, 06:41
sidestep to avoid chafing.

gibsygoldtop
09-27-2006, 06:52
i swear by body glide

mrc237
09-27-2006, 06:57
I use Witch Hazel at night and corn starch for day time. Cheapest dryest way to avoid/treat problem. Look at any powder the active ing. is corn starch. BTW anyone know where and how corn starch is produced?

bigcranky
09-27-2006, 07:01
NO COTTON UNDERWEAR. That's the most important thing.

I like to wear tight fitting shorts. Golite makes two shorts that work, one Compression short and one looser, but still fairly close-fitting. (Stride shorts and Terrain shorts.) The idea is that the nylon rubs against itself, rather than having your skin rub. These shorts have mesh liners, so I don't need to wear or carry underwear, and they weigh about 4 oz.

For me, loose fitting shorts just make the problem worse. I can't imagine wearing a kilt, but I know that some hikers are happy with them.

Skidsteer
09-27-2006, 07:06
I use Witch Hazel at night and corn starch for day time. Cheapest dryest way to avoid/treat problem. Look at any powder the active ing. is corn starch. BTW anyone know where and how corn starch is produced?

Byproduct of making whiskey?

FHThiker
09-27-2006, 07:23
NO COTTON UNDERWEAR. That's the most important thing.

I like to wear tight fitting shorts. Golite makes two shorts that work, one Compression short and one looser, but still fairly close-fitting. (Stride shorts and Terrain shorts.) The idea is that the nylon rubs against itself, rather than having your skin rub. These shorts have mesh liners, so I don't need to wear or carry underwear, and they weigh about 4 oz.

For me, loose fitting shorts just make the problem worse. I can't imagine wearing a kilt, but I know that some hikers are happy with them.

x2...I also carry a small container of baby powder...works like a champ for me. Oh, and I own a kilt, but it's the wool (expensive!) type...much too heavy & nice for hiking, but I'd hike in one if I could find a microfiber kilt :banana

peter_pan
09-27-2006, 07:32
Baby powder works fine.

Pan

highway
09-27-2006, 09:08
stretch boxers, shorter version of the stretch shorts cyclists use, made of something like lycra and poly. Wearing them while walking you now rub slick material against slick material instead of sweaty thigh against sweaty thigh. Get them in black. Get them from Asics, which is what I use, because they are so light, or anymajor company selling running shoes, etc, or good clothing items. Ex Oficio makes one but it is heavier and the legs are longer, which means they may stick out beyond your hiking shorts..

This way you forget having to lug around the oils, balms, creams, body glide, etc., to deal with the affliction after you get it. With these runner's tight boxers you eliminate the chaffing before it can develop. It sure works for me. And I sure hate the chaffing of those nether regions. I almost stops most forward motion. But to cure it once you have it...wash well, apply zinc oxide ointment and it is gone next day

Kerosene
09-27-2006, 09:09
Body Glide works well to prevent chafing, although I'm looking into Hydropel.

highway
09-27-2006, 09:26
my only objection to something like an oilish bodyglide on a long distance hike (or even a short one) is that if you apply it each morning to your upper thighs before hiking, it would seem to become a very unsanitary place after a number of days hiking and applying it without having the opportunity of washing it off. It must even accumulate upon ones cloths in that area as well and has to begin breeding the 'nastys' until it all can be washed. I think body glide must have been designed for the runner who could come home and shower and put on clean clothes each night, a luxury the long distance hiker may not always have. It does burn if you do put it on after your chafing develops, though. For me anyway and I use it, but not while hiking, for the above reasons. But those are just my thighs...someone else's might be different!

Old Grouse
09-27-2006, 09:41
Oh, yeah, loose shorts with fairly long legs.:rolleyes:;):o

Tinker, are you bragging?

Kerosene
09-27-2006, 09:43
my only objection to something like an oilish bodyglide on a long distance hike (or even a short one) is that if you apply it each morning to your upper thighs before hiking, it would seem to become a very unsanitary place after a number of days hiking and applying it without having the opportunity of washing it off. It must even accumulate upon ones cloths in that area as well and has to begin breeding the 'nastys' until it all can be washed.Hmmm, I haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary, on my clothes or skin, after using Body Glide periodically for 5 days.

Blissful
09-27-2006, 10:49
Anyone ever use this -

Two Toms Blistershield

Campmor sells it. Says its good for blisters and for chafing. My hubby gets chafing pretty bad.

white rabbit
09-27-2006, 11:44
Underarmor makes some good boxer-briefs. For me they have to be fairly tight.

mdionne
09-27-2006, 15:23
my only objection to something like an oilish bodyglide on a long distance hike (or even a short one) is that if you apply it each morning to your upper thighs before hiking, it would seem to become a very unsanitary place after a number of days hiking and applying it without having the opportunity of washing it off. It must even accumulate upon ones cloths in that area as well and has to begin breeding the 'nastys' until it all can be washed. I think body glide must have been designed for the runner who could come home and shower and put on clean clothes each night, a luxury the long distance hiker may not always have. It does burn if you do put it on after your chafing develops, though. For me anyway and I use it, but not while hiking, for the above reasons. But those are just my thighs...someone else's might be different!

i'm not a big fan of the "fromunda cheese" either.

i'm wondering about "sliding pants" or tighties like those bicycling shorts.

i did try goldbond and a skirt on my hike and it only works as long as there is good ventilation and no sweating. i remember taking some really careful steps on those days. i think the best thing for me was to take a couple days off to heal.

springerfever
09-27-2006, 17:48
Hydropel is great stuff....primarily designed to prevent blisters when wearing lightweight running shoes, but also is ideal for chafing issues.......

RedneckRye
09-27-2006, 19:51
ExOficio Boxer-Briefs, some baby wipes, and the awesome power of Gold Bond.