PDA

View Full Version : Stratton Mntn. Ski Hut

hikerat2002
04-29-2003, 06:16
Hikers still welcome to overnight use the warming hut on Stratton? It is a mile or so sidetrail but was a great relief on rainy summit while cold and hungry.

celt
04-29-2003, 06:42
Its unclear whether the hut is available to hikers this year. Stratton Resort finally started to move ahead with its plans to build a lodge of sorts on the summit last year and asked the offical sources of trail information like the Green Mountain Club to list the hut as offically closed to hikers. The word on the trail last fall was that the construction still hadn't made much of an impact and that some hikers had been aloud to stay. I believe the person I spoke to hiked to the summit to just visit or to get a mail drop (Stratton still accepts mail drops) at the bottom of the mountain and spoke to an employee who said the hut was open. I would call the GMC or maybe Stratton, the ski patrol handles the mail drops they might be a good source of info.

www.greenmountainclub.org

RagingHampster
04-29-2003, 08:25
Those bastards. Stratton is becoming a disgusting sore. Pretty soon we'll have a highway paralleling the Long Trail, as was proposed once or twice before. I'm planning a NB thru this september, hopefully I won't have to get a ski-pass or lift ticket to hike stratton :rolleyes:

You can already here the music they blast down the short spur trail to the ski-lifts. I need to move to alaska.

hikerat2002
04-29-2003, 08:29
Colin is hiking in '04?

DebW
04-29-2003, 09:01
I was hiking the AT SOBO through Vermont in summer 2001 when there was an "incident" at the Stratton summit hut. A couple days before I got there a thruhiker had gotten drunk at the hut and caused alot of damage, both to property and good will. The hut was therefore closed to hikers, I think for the rest of that season.