PDA

View Full Version : Clothing and Weather for Section Hike Starting at Springer

waskelton4
09-27-2006, 10:41
whats up group?

I have a group coming up for a Section hike from Springer to probably Neels Gap Oct. 6th - 10th.

What will the temperatures be like and what sort of clothing will we need.

any ideas?

TIA

Will

Dances with Mice
09-27-2006, 10:51
It should be very nice. Be prepp'd for rain. Leaves won't be very colorful yet.

http://www.weather.com/weather/wxclimatology/daily/30572?climoMonth=10

Midway Sam
09-27-2006, 10:53
Hard to predict the weather, even the guys on TV have a hard time. This past weekend it was freakin' wet with more wetness falling from the sky. Temps were in the upper 60's/lower 70's.

Your best bet is to watch the weather trends leading up to your trip. Make sure to look at weather data from the same area/altitude. Use weather.com and watch Suches, GA or view the data from Buzzard Roost Ridge:

http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KGABLAIR1

waskelton4
09-28-2006, 12:45
great!
Thanks.

I'm not too worried about rain.. we'll be prepared for that regardless.

I"m most concerned that what weather reports we find will be for towns that aren't at high enough altitudes to give us an accurate idea of how cold it might get.

Would upper 30's be out of the question for some of the mountians?

ws

gr8fulyankee
09-28-2006, 14:22
The weather in that area is really kind of unpredictable. I was on springer for New years eve and it as 36 degrees F, while when I was on springer for St. Patties Day (night) it was 24 degress F, and April 14-15 it was between 28 and 34. I would think that if you planned on 35 degrees you should be safe, especially if you have more than one person per tent.

Also dont forget that it is hunting season!!!
Wear your Orange!!!
And if you hear a banjo playing forget it, its already too late to run.:D

Midway Sam
09-28-2006, 14:31
The link I supplied you above is for weather conditions at comperable altitudes in a relatively nearby area. Best you'll find.

Mountain Man
09-28-2006, 16:53
I'm a few miles south of Springer at the Hike Inn at 3200 ft. and we've had a few nights in the mid 40's. Usually you can expect anywhere from 5 -10 degrees colder than Atlanta.

waskelton4
09-28-2006, 17:15
The link I supplied you above is for weather conditions at comperable altitudes in a relatively nearby area. Best you'll find.

word..

thanks ya'll..
ws