PDA

View Full Version : Grits

highway
09-28-2006, 09:05
i find that grits have become one of my favorite trail foods. It seems to give me considerably more sustained energy than oatmeal, is very light, cooks quickly(read, less alcohol to heat it), takes up little room and even comes in flavorful packages.

So, I was wondering just how difficult it might become to locate grits once a thruhiker walked north of the Mason-Dixon Line.

Gray Blazer
09-28-2006, 09:34
I know they don't know what they are in Boulder, CO.

jlb2012
09-28-2006, 09:52
side question about grits - is it OK to eat them without cooking provided one drinks enough water at the same time? I do this all the time with oatmeal and I suspect it would be OK with grits too.

SGT Rock
09-28-2006, 09:54
I never tried it, but I guess it could be done. You can also "bread" spam with grits and some olive oil.

fishinfred
09-28-2006, 10:00
Speakin of Grits .....
Try mixin a bit (half a packet) of flavored instant potatos with em ......mmmmm
Makes them really good!
RAW? Never tried it .
You can find grits in the North but you'll have to hit the larger grocery stores.
FF

highway
09-28-2006, 10:02
I dont recall having them when I was hungry enough to eat them dry but I suppose it could be done. It would sure be crunchy, though. Some have eaten much worse... and still do

But can you find them up north? I do know it is hard to find the in the west.

Fiddleback
09-28-2006, 10:07
While I haven't been back east in a while and, admittedly, they're not 'down-home'--quality grits, I've never had trouble finding Quaker Instant Grits in hot cereal sections. In fact, I bought a box last week in the Missoula, MT WalMart.

Here's something that may or may not be harder to find; Arrowhead Mills' 4 Grain Plus Flax. This cereal contains cracked wheat, steel cut oats, whole rye grits, whole barley grits and flax seed...all organic. Preparation is the same as the Quaker grits and it reconstitutes nicely in a baggie when near boiling water is added and it is left to sit for a while. Dry, one half-cup of cereal weighs 2½ oz and is 280 calories. While the 4 Grain hasn't subpplanted my love for grits it has knocked my oatmeal down a notch.:)

I bought this cereal in a store noted for its high quality fresh and/of organic food, The Good Food Store in Missoula. Check out similar stores wherever hippies, yuppies and backpackers shop.:p

FB

jlb2012
09-28-2006, 10:14
I have heard that you can find polenta up north which is just yellow grits - take this info with grain of salt plus I don't know if they have "instant" polenta or not

Kevin A. Boyce
09-28-2006, 10:57
You will find grits in the larger supermarkets in the Northeast... At least here in NY, as far as places near the AT, most of the supermarkets, Stop&Shop and A&P, both have them in stock. I have bought grits at both quite often, never not been there when I was looking and buying. There is a Stop and Shop located west of the Rte55 trailhead, and an A&P located on Rte 82... Both would be a hitch though as they are quite a few miles off the trail.

They are a great addition to your menu... You can always add a little plain grits to soups to make them more 'stew' like, I have used them as a thickener with musch success. Granted it does not work well with Ramen, but adding a little here and there to some dishes will thicken the stock or sauce.

Enjoy!
KevBoy

Skyline
09-28-2006, 15:24
In a previous life I lived north of The Line, and found grits available in inner-city super markets. Grits are standard fare in African American communities on both sides of The Line, and you should be able to find grits (long-cook, easy-cook, and instant) up north wherever there is a substantial black population. Maybe elsewhere too?

LostInSpace
09-28-2006, 15:26
I have heard that you can find polenta up north which is just yellow grits - take this info with grain of salt plus I don't know if they have "instant" polenta or not

I tried experimenting with polenta as a trail food, but I have not come up with a recipe that is appetizing for any length of use. The polenta seems to be ground finer than white grits. I can’t really define the difference between polenta and grits, but I love grits. At home, I cook quick-cooking grits in the microware, although I recognize the regular grits are better. I just don’t have the patience to cook the regular grits slowly. All the supermarkets around me carry grits, but very few of the restaurants serve them.

the goat
09-28-2006, 15:29
I never tried it, but I guess it could be done. You can also "bread" spam with grits and some olive oil.

dude, that's genious! i can't wait to try that one, and still, i'm disappointed i didn't think of it long ago....

SGT Rock
09-28-2006, 15:33
Hey, when you are living off MREs and the occasional "Country Captian Chicken" T-Rat you will try anything. You ought to try Spam sushi.

LostInSpace
09-28-2006, 15:42
Hey, when you are living off MREs and the occasional "Country Captian Chicken" T-Rat you will try anything. You ought to try Spam sushi.

Well, I 'spose some of us could say you are living in the lap of luxury with MRE's as compared to C-rats. :D:D:D ... but I can appreciate your point of view!

sherrill
09-28-2006, 15:43
Spam sushi? Man, that is hardcore! :D

SGT Rock
09-28-2006, 15:46
MREs or C-RAts. After a few months they are all the same - they suck. You should see what I did with a pellet rifle and some dove.

SGT Rock
09-28-2006, 15:49
Spam sushi? Man, that is hardcore! :D

It was actually pretty good. We had this LT from Hawaii that had the seaweed and the sushi rice. He did an excellent job on it. I actually miss it.

LostInSpace
09-28-2006, 15:50
Dove and grits ... that could be good!

SGT Rock
09-28-2006, 15:54
Sure, take 2 dozen breasts and bread then with some grits and olive oil. Add some Cajun seasoning and fry them up over a camp stove until done all the way through. Serve on a bed of wild rice with some tortillas and you are in high cotton.

atraildreamer
09-28-2006, 19:27

"Spam spam spam spam. Lovely spam! Wonderful spam! Spam spa-a-a-a-a-am spam spa-a-a-a-a-am spam. Lovely spam! Lovely spam! Lovely spam! Lovely spam! Lovely spam! Spam spam spam spam!"

http://www.mailmsg.com/SPAM_python.htm

Say, Rock, grits are made of corn, which is what Ray J. eats all the time! He might approve of the grits, but condemn the Spam as being overprocessed! :eek:

Are you going to make a mylar covered umbrella next? :-?

springerfever
09-28-2006, 20:06
Grits are my FAVORITE breakfast on the trail. The Quaker Instant variety w/butter bits and some chunks of pepperoni or ham simmering while sipping on some fresh coffee gets all eight cylinders firing.

Grits will definately be in my bouce box on my Thru a few years down the road......Happy trails !!

StarLyte
09-28-2006, 20:12
To be serious, I would be fearful of eating grits without cooking them, the fact that they are grits says enough, and HARD-uncooked grits could be even worse. If you're joking, then I'm more gullible than I thought.

I LOVE cheese grits, cheese with butter, salt and pepper, or grits with a fried egg on top.

I wouldn't even mind breading a slice of spam with them Rock-excellent suggestion-especially in olive oil!

I live in Cleveland Ohio and grits are very common here-grocers and restaurants everywhere--I would imagine in your more metropolitan cities and where ethnicity is abundant is where you'll mostly find them.

And Fiddleback-your avatar is AWESOME!

ed bell
09-28-2006, 20:15
I LOVE cheese grits, cheese with butter, salt and pepper, or grits with a fried egg on top.

Count me in on that fan club!:sunSounds delicious.:)

jlb2012
09-28-2006, 20:39
To be serious, I would be fearful of eating grits without cooking them, the fact that they are grits says enough, and HARD-uncooked grits could be even worse. If you're joking, then I'm more gullible than I thought.

Not joking - the idea is to get on the trail faster by not cooking breakfast.

I am wondering however why you would be fearful of eating uncooked grits? To my mind it would not be that much different from eating a bunch of corn chips for breakfast only with much less oil and salt.

Skyline
09-28-2006, 22:08
Well I see most folks here are going for savory-flavored grits of one kind or another. That's the way God intended.

I've met Yankees who mixed honey, sugar, cinnamon, raisins, and all kinds of sweet concoctions in their grits and insisted that was the "proper" way to fix 'em. No, it's not. :-)

Ewker
09-28-2006, 22:10
anyone tried the red-eye gravy instant grits

sarbar
09-28-2006, 22:17

I am wondering however why you would be fearful of eating uncooked grits? To my mind it would not be that much different from eating a bunch of corn chips for breakfast only with much less oil and salt.
Just thinking of my teeth crying as they grinded them ;) My dentist would beat me if I did that. Or maybe not. He has already earned $2100 in the past 3 weeks :p
I'll stick with the packets of instant grits/hot water and some cheese and onions!

ed bell
09-28-2006, 23:25
anyone tried the red-eye gravy instant gritsYes, tasted OK, but the red part of the raw product was a little scary.:eek:

SGT Rock
09-29-2006, 05:01
Grits with butter and hot sauce. The best way I know to eat them.

SGT Rock
09-29-2006, 05:04
"Spam spam spam spam. Lovely spam! Wonderful spam! Spam spa-a-a-a-a-am spam spa-a-a-a-a-am spam. Lovely spam! Lovely spam! Lovely spam! Lovely spam! Lovely spam! Spam spam spam spam!"

http://www.mailmsg.com/SPAM_python.htm

Say, Rock, grits are made of corn, which is what Ray J. eats all the time! He might approve of the grits, but condemn the Spam as being overprocessed! :eek:

Are you going to make a mylar covered umbrella next? :-?

Well I read old RJs book and my guess would be he wouldn't approve of my grits either since they are processed and probably don't have the endosperm.

Interesting thing about him and his whole diet section. It seems he advocates highly raw-natural foods as being the only kind that is good for you, and then at the same time he also says he and Jenny tried it backpacking and it doesn't work. Anyway, I take what he says about a lot of things with a grain of salt when he starts talking about curing malaria with magnets.

highway
09-29-2006, 09:14

Some dont like running on empty. Now, if you can start some part of the morning with a hot concoction of your favorite grits combo you will find yourself running with a full tank, and can go further, faster. And eating grits is an excellent and tasty way to gather in all those needed carbs to fill the tank.

I discovered the Spanish dry sausage called chorizo, hanging in packaging outside refrigerated areas, usually in the "ethnic" section of the market. Cut up one of those little sausages into your heating grits and it will make you smack your lips. Get a little of that upon your forehead and your tongue will slap your brains out trying to get to it:D

SGT Rock
09-29-2006, 09:16
Gotta have breakfast. That is where you get coffee. Since I am going to make hot water for coffee I may as well mix up some grits.

Fiddleback
09-29-2006, 09:32
And Fiddleback-your avatar is AWESOME!

Thanks.:D (but it's not my artwork:o )

jlb2012
09-29-2006, 09:35
Some dont like running on empty. Now, if you can start some part of the morning with a hot concoction of your favorite grits combo you will find yourself running with a full tank, and can go further, faster. And eating grits is an excellent and tasty way to gather in all those needed carbs to fill the tank.

note I am not talking about not eating breakfast - I am talking about eating grits (actually sort of drinking grits and water) without cooking them.

not eating breakfast for me is a fast way to bonk on the first long climb.

Happy
09-29-2006, 09:39
Two packs of cheese grits, add real bacon bits...sprinkle with butter flakes and hot sauce...breakfast of champions!!

highway
09-29-2006, 09:51
Two packs of cheese grits, add real bacon bits...sprinkle with butter flakes and hot sauce...breakfast of champions!!

Now there is an idea. I like the packages of grits and bacon ( I like them all;) )
And i liberally sprinkle the bacon bits (is it, really or does it just taste like it?) on my salads, but never considered carrying some while hiking to add to the grits (or anything else, for that matter). Great suggestion:sun

scope
09-29-2006, 10:08
I've never seen them in any stores and I don't know what the hell they are.

From the Quaker site... "Grits date as far back as 1607, when the colonists came ashore at Jamestown, Virginia. They were met by friendly Native Americans offering steaming hot bowls of "rockahominie," which was softened maize seasoned with salt and animal fat."

Grits are ground hominy, and hominy is the dried meat of the the corn kernel (sans hull).

scope
09-29-2006, 10:27

First, have you tried this? I don't believe you can 'eat' dry grits. You can swallow them and then drink some water, but I'm not sure this process is at all the same as 'hydrating' the grits in the cooking process. Plus, I enjoy eating grits and you would be depriving yourself of this activity for the sake of time. You'd be better off with gels or some kind of powdered drink additive.

And I don't think you can compare it to eating dry oatmeal. I've eaten dry oatmeal, but I think its more more absorbent than grits. I think what's likely to happen is that the hard grits will find their way into your intestinal tract before they have had a chance to absorb much water/digestive juice, etc., and that its likely you'll get some irritation as a result.

As far as the same as eating corn chips, I would bet that the corn meal used in making chips is ground finer and perhaps processed in a way to make it easier to digest.

No, I'm not a doctor, but I did stay at the Plumorchard Hilton last night. ;)
But seriously, if you want to give it a try, please let us all know how it worked out.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
09-29-2006, 10:28
HOI, I doubt drinking instant grits would be much different than heating and eating them. Both would fill your tummy and provide an abundant amount of complex carbs. However, I wouldn't try this method with regular grits.

I eat grits almost every morning as part of a weight and cholesterol reduction diet - the yellow kind used to make polenta. They provide vast quantities of energy and fill me up without adding fat or cholesterol. I use fat-free cheese, ham or bacon flavored soy (TVP from a food coop) and a few drops of instant smoke (a liquid seasoning found near the spices)

Krewzer
09-29-2006, 10:29
Yep, you can get them up north.

We might of lost the war, but won the food fight.

Eat More Grits!!!

Dances with Mice
09-29-2006, 10:33
From the Quaker site... "Grits date as far back as 1607, when the colonists came ashore at Jamestown, Virginia. They were met by friendly Native Americans offering steaming hot bowls of "rockahominie," which was softened maize seasoned with salt and animal fat."

Grits are ground hominy, and hominy is the dried meat of the the corn kernel (sans hull).Almost. Kinda. Sorta. There's confusion because there are hominy grits (True Grits) and corn grits, and they are related but are two different things.

Corn grits are the dried meat of the corn kernel (sans hull). They are used to make polenta. If they were ground smaller they'd be cornmeal and could be used to make cornbread.

Hominy Grits are the dried meat of alkaline-treated corn kernels (aka hominy corn) (sans hull). They are used to make breakfast grits. If they were ground smaller they'd be Masa Harina and could be used to make tamales.

Happy
09-29-2006, 10:33
Now there is an idea. I like the packages of grits and bacon ( I like them all;) )
And i liberally sprinkle the bacon bits (is it, really or does it just taste like it?) on my salads, but never considered carrying some while hiking to add to the grits (or anything else, for that matter). Great suggestion:sun

I purchase the packs of plain cheese grits and then purchase a resealable package of REAL bacon bits...made by oscar mayer, I believe, and located in the imitation bacon bit section of the grocery store.

They are great with grits, instant potatoes, pasta, tortillio wrap sanwiches, etc. They do have a shelf life so look at the date on the package.

Good eating...

scope
09-29-2006, 10:44
HOI, I doubt drinking instant grits would be much different than heating and eating them. Both would fill your tummy and provide an abundant amount of complex carbs. However, I wouldn't try this method with regular grits.

Yeah, she's probably right here. Certainly the instant grits are made to be more absorbent so they can be enjoyed instantly. I still think its a bad idea. I mean, they're instant grits, how much extra time would you be saving? Cleanup time maybe.

johnny quest
09-29-2006, 11:02
i dont feel like trying it but i can imagine that eating instant grits right out of the package would, at best, be like eating flavored sawdust...at worst, stop up your colon so bad it would take a quarter stick of tnt to clear it. i cant imagine being in that big of a hurry. eat a breakfast bar or bagel if you are.

highway
09-29-2006, 11:05
From the Quaker site... "[FONT=Arial]Grits date as far back as 1607, when the colonists came ashore at Jamestown, Virginia. They were met by friendly Native Americans offering steaming hot bowls of "rockahominie," which was softened maize seasoned with salt and animal fat."

Jamestown wasnt the first possibility for gathering corn (grits?) from the indians, in our northern hemisphere. Excluding the 10th century Norse, the Spanish beat the Jamestown bunch by establishing a settlement in Florida (St Augustine) in the latter of the 16th Century, 40-50 years or so earlier. And they began eating cornmeal, too, I have heard.

Doctari
09-29-2006, 11:07
Grits are great, taste better than oatmeal & (I think) cook quicker. I'm not a big fan of sweet stuff & most oatmeal is sugar PACKED.

Don't think I'll try them raw tho.

Doctari.

Ewker
09-29-2006, 11:07
I had breakfast last night for dinner..bacon, eggs and regular grits (not instant). I doctored up the grits with some bacon and shredded cheese...yum it was good.

johnny quest
09-29-2006, 11:15
I had breakfast last night for dinner..bacon, eggs and regular grits (not instant). I doctored up the grits with some bacon and shredded cheese...yum it was good.

that brings back fond memories. we had breakfast for supper a couple times a week when i was growing up. i never knew it was because we were poor. we had eggs from chickens there on the bayou, and fish and oysters we caught and bacon from a neighbor. momma's cathead bisquits and real grits cooked on the stove. on second thought, i guess we werent poor, at that.

sorry to take the thread another direction.

highway
09-29-2006, 11:16

We do that at my house, too occasionally. I especially used to like it with good 'ole country ham and red-eyed gravy. The problem is, it is getting so difficult to find good country ham anymore, the hard variety, salt and dry-cured somilar to the Italian variant known as Prosciutto or the Spanish jamon serrano (which I believe is better). I guess it is disappearing because of the salt and cholesterol thing. Its a shame, too

Kevin A. Boyce
09-29-2006, 11:18
Hmmm... Maybe next summer at our work weekend/hiker feed I will have to organize a grits cook off... Some tasty recipes are floating around here! Personally I enjoy both sweet and savory recipes, but prefer the savory in the am since I like to combine two of my favorite food groups, grits and pig...LOL :)

highway
09-29-2006, 11:21
That does brings back memories. Grits really wasnt just for breakdafs back then. I grew up in a rural area and many times i enjoyed squirrel and gravy and grits for dinner, sometimes fried catfish and grits, too. Now that was even great for breakfast too. But those were far different times back then..and not altogether bad, either

atraildreamer
09-29-2006, 13:58
Anyway, I take what he says about a lot of things with a grain of salt when he starts talking about curing malaria with magnets.

Google "Beck machine" (Dr. Robert Beck), I think that is what he was talking about.

Fiddleback
09-29-2006, 14:02
Hominy Grits are the dried meat of alkaline-treated corn kernels (aka hominy corn) (sans hull). They are used to make breakfast grits. If they were ground smaller they'd be Masa Harina and could be used to make tamales.

Ummmm...I learned to eat grits in Maryland just before I moved to Texas and learned to eat tamales. Too bad I couldn't pass on the learning to Bush I who, during his visit to San Antonio, bit into his tamale before removing the corn shuck.

But Texans are a forgiving people...he still carried the State. :D /:mad: /:confused:

FB

Dances with Mice
09-29-2006, 14:18
Ummmm...I learned to eat grits in Maryland just before I moved to Texas and learned to eat tamales. Too bad I couldn't pass on the learning to Bush I who, during his visit to San Antonio, bit into his tamale before removing the corn shuck.Right story, wrong President. That was before the Bush era and was in fact President Jerry Ford (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Square/9598/Presidential/FordTamale2.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Square/9598/Presidential/Presidential.html&h=564&w=450&sz=37&hl=en&start=4&tbnid=AiHWXC4eEWfoJM:&tbnh=131&tbnw=104&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dford%2Btamale%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den% 26lr%3Dlang_en%26sa%3DG), unfortunately during a time when he was trying to shake his image as a bumbling stumbler. In the photo Anne Richards looks like she's about to give him the Heimlich.

I don't know who his handlers were but nobody should hand someone from Michigan an unwrapped tamale.

I think that's Anne in the photo. She's definitely got Texas-sized hair. Don't know why she'd be hanging out with a Republican President during a campaign but Texas politics has always been funny.

Brrrb Oregon
09-29-2006, 15:05

So if I get this right, yellow grits=corn grits=polenta....meaning just ground up dried corn,

while grits=hominy grits, which are made by soaking field corn (hominy) in lye water, like they do for masa harina (tortilla and tamale corn)?

Has anybody tried using masa to make grits?

I'm not the one to ask, because I'm an ignorant left-coaster. All cornmeal mush tastes great to me, as long as its fresh!

Alligator
09-29-2006, 15:26
Has anybody tried using masa to make grits?
It's too fine, it wouldn't have the same texture.

One of the things made with masa is a tortilla.

Alligator
09-29-2006, 15:30

I am wondering however why you would be fearful of eating uncooked grits? To my mind it would not be that much different from eating a bunch of corn chips for breakfast only with much less oil and salt.Corn chips are fried in oil for several minutes, so they are not technically raw.

Some things do need to be cooked to be digestable. I don't know one way or the other whether grits falls into this category.

I wonder if instant grits are cooked first then dehydrated? I wonder that about instant cream of wheat also?

jlb2012
09-29-2006, 15:30
masa is used to make Ultralight Joe's Moose Goo

Dances with Mice
09-29-2006, 17:28
I'm surprised nobody's written that eating uncooked grits might make you blow up like a fire ant.

(which isn't true (http://www.pestproducts.com/grits.htm))

Alligator
09-29-2006, 17:30
I'm surprised nobody's written that eating uncooked grits might make you blow up like a fire ant.

(which isn't true (http://www.pestproducts.com/grits.htm))Is that related in some way to feeding alka seltzer to seagulls?

johnny quest
09-29-2006, 17:38
so it was ford and not bush. i didnt think that sounded right. bush surely knows his way around a tamale.
none of the women in the picture are ann richards. just regular drt ladies

Frolicking Dinosaurs
09-29-2006, 17:59
....Ultralight Joe's Moose GooRecipe please

SteveJ
09-29-2006, 18:21
That does brings back memories. Grits really wasnt just for breakdafs back then. I grew up in a rural area and many times i enjoyed squirrel and gravy and grits for dinner, sometimes fried catfish and grits, too. Now that was even great for breakfast too. But those were far different times back then..and not altogether bad, either

gettin' into the grits thread late...

quaker's instant grits w/butter always make my pack (at least 'til last week when doc put me on low sodium diet :( )

one of my favorite restaurants has a fried seafood on grits platter - good stuff! :D

http://www.upthecreekusa.com/html/index.shtml

sigh....low sodium diets suck!

jlb2012
09-29-2006, 19:07
Recipe please

here is the link to Ultralight Joe's recipe: link (http://www.ultralightbackpacker.com/moosegoo.html)

SteveJ
09-29-2006, 19:32

quaker's instant grits w/butter always make my pack

forgot to mention - i love to share grits w/ my favorite hikin' buddy, who also loves 'em - esp w/ a couple of slices of pre-cooked bacon!

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=9360&c=517

Fiddleback
09-29-2006, 19:54
Right story, wrong President. That was before the Bush era and was in fact President Jerry Ford (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Square/9598/Presidential/FordTamale2.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Square/9598/Presidential/Presidential.html&h=564&w=450&sz=37&hl=en&start=4&tbnid=AiHWXC4eEWfoJM:&tbnh=131&tbnw=104&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dford%2Btamale%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den% 26lr%3Dlang_en%26sa%3DG),

OK...my face is red. What excuse can I use?:o As I was typing I was thinking about '76 and where I was at the time...now I'm not even certain that was the year...darn! Lot's of years as a Texan...lots of years of political involvement...I just can't come up with any good reason why I typed that.

Mexican food withdrawal...yeah, that's the ticket!

I don't think any of those in the pics look like Ann Richards but after the above gaffe I'm not betting on anything today. Ann was running a hard race in Travis County in '76 as a liberal Democrat...it is unlikely she's in the pic...unless she said, "Here...eat this!";)

FB

sarbar
09-29-2006, 20:49

quaker's instant grits w/butter always make my pack (at least 'til last week when doc put me on low sodium diet :( )

one of my favorite restaurants has a fried seafood on grits platter - good stuff! :D

http://www.upthecreekusa.com/html/index.shtml

sigh....low sodium diets suck!

Steve, head over to my page of low sodium recipes :)
http://www.freewebs.com/healthytrailfood/lowsodium.htm

I have been on a low sodium diet for the past year. It does get easier!

SteveJ
09-30-2006, 00:35
Steve, head over to my page of low sodium recipes :)
http://www.freewebs.com/healthytrailfood/lowsodium.htm

I have been on a low sodium diet for the past year. It does get easier!
thanks, i needed that - it's been a tough month!

Heater
09-30-2006, 08:26
i dont feel like trying it but i can imagine that eating instant grits right out of the package would, at best, be like eating flavored sawdust...at worst, stop up your colon so bad it would take a quarter stick of tnt to clear it. i cant imagine being in that big of a hurry. eat a breakfast bar or bagel if you are.

I have instant grits. I used them to kill the fire ants.

Heater
09-30-2006, 08:48

(which isn't true (http://www.pestproducts.com/grits.htm))

Worked for me. Sprinkled instant grits around there. They were gone a few days later. I was surprised.

Ewker
09-30-2006, 20:14
masa is used to make Ultralight Joe's Moose Goo

HOI, when making Joe's Moose Goo it calls for corn flour. I was at a International market today and found some. Way more than I wanted so I passed for right now. Question is which corn flour. I found yellow and white in fine, coarse and powdered. Then there was yellow and white sweet corn flour. Any ideas on which one? I am guessing it doesn't matter.

jlb2012
10-01-2006, 08:03
masa harina is what is reference in Ultralight Joe's site which I would think would be white and either fine or powdered - I would probably try the powdered first

in actual fact however I suspect that any of the corn flours would work OK

Happy
10-02-2006, 09:29
Hey the previous posts...have me thinking...a layer of cheese grits and topped with a packaged mesquite grilled tuna steak...layer of grits with garlic powder and clams...layer of grits with some vegetables, summer sausage and olive oil...what else?

highway
10-02-2006, 09:48
Hmmmm....It's not just for breakfast anymore. Theres more possibilities than I thought. Plus it is so quick to heat water to cook it...water doesnt even have to come to a good boil ...just 1/2 oz alcohol...Hmmmmm

johnny quest
10-02-2006, 10:43
i was stranded in a wallyworld this weekend and spied an 88 cent container of "quick grits" that claimed they cooked in a minute. i got them home and found that nowhere in the actual cooking instructions did they repeat the claim. now they wanted 3 to 5 minutes. but i pulled out the gigapower and did some experiments anyway.

i found that getting the water to a rolling boil then placing the grits in the water and leaving on the stove for 30 more seconds, stirring, then pulling off the stove to continue cooking would give you good cooked grits after about a 4 minute wait.

why not just eat instant? well i noticed the ingredients list for quick grits versus instant was very different. all that is listed in quick grits is hominy grits. so if your worried about ingredients there is that. also, three tablespoons of quick grits made quite a good serving.

Happy
10-02-2006, 14:02
i was stranded in a wallyworld this weekend and spied an 88 cent container of "quick grits" that claimed they cooked in a minute. i got them home and found that nowhere in the actual cooking instructions did they repeat the claim. now they wanted 3 to 5 minutes. but i pulled out the gigapower and did some experiments anyway.

i found that getting the water to a rolling boil then placing the grits in the water and leaving on the stove for 30 more seconds, stirring, then pulling off the stove to continue cooking would give you good cooked grits after about a 4 minute wait.

why not just eat instant? well i noticed the ingredients list for quick grits versus instant was very different. all that is listed in quick grits is hominy grits. so if your worried about ingredients there is that. also, three tablespoons of quick grits made quite a good serving.

You have a point...it does not matter...however; the instant grits come in many flavors and unlike oatmeal in packets, not full of sugar...but the quick grits do taste better, as that is what I eat at home.

I favor the cheese grits, and so I go with the instant grits for convenience and packageing and to save time, but I admit the quick grits taste better but you save nothing in health, like with oatmeal!

With oatmeal, I always take the rolled, or stone grain oats and add my own spices, olive oil, butter, or fruit!

Gray Blazer
10-02-2006, 14:07
I have instant grits. I used them to kill the fire ants.
Works best on Yankee Fire Ants.

Fiddleback
10-02-2006, 19:09
(Quaker) Quick Grits, the kind that direct 5-7 minutes of simmering do just fine in a baggie. In a test of a new cozy, I added not-quite-boiling water to a baggie with a serving of dry grits. I left the baggie & cozy in the 'fridge for 15 minutes and the grits came out just fine (and hot:) ). No need to 'cook' 'em over a flame.

Ref the post above, there's Yankee fire ants?:eek:

FB