PDA

View Full Version : Fellow Hiker Completing his AT HIKE Needs Ride to Gathering from Harpers Ferry WV

Twofiddy
09-28-2006, 11:48
:D Fellow Hiker and ALDHA member, trail name Plugger, from Sanbornsville NH will be finishing up his hiking of the AT finally in the days immdiatley prior to The Gathering.

I know that many of you will be travleing down the I81 corridor to get down to Pipestem, Cocord University, and The Gathering. I even know of a few of you who stop off at Bears Den for a night on the way down.

Can some one Pick Plugger up and bring him to The Gathering?

If anyone from CT, NH, ME, MA, or VT is coming to The Gathering and you have a seat in your vehicle Plugger will also be looking for a ride back north after The Gathering is over.

Plugger does not have real good Cell Phone Skills, and he is a tad bit forgetful, 10 years ago he was in a wheel chair after a stroke, but from 2003 through now he has hiked the entire trail in sections except for Duncannon PA to HF WV where he will finish in just a few weeks.

Anyone avaliable to help??

Contact me at [email protected] if you can help so that we can discuss how to get in touch etc. I will act as the go-between for right now.

Thanks!!

Alligator
09-28-2006, 12:18
If he doesn't find a ride, there is train service to Hinton, WV. But it's only a couple of days a week from what I've been told, so check the schedule. Hinton is about 10 miles down the road from Pipestem.

Alligator
09-28-2006, 12:27
I just checked, there is service at least from DC to Hinton on Friday, 10/13. Routing from HFY to HIN runs through Chicago, so a manual search from DC may be necessary.

Twofiddy
09-28-2006, 21:23
Thanks for the train suggestions.

However, the cost of 2 train tickets will be much higher than gas and fast food for the ride there and back in any 4 door sedan that some one might be driving down from HF area... plus Plugger would have to get off the train, on another train, and if one train is late then what...

Way to much for 1 person with some small memory difficulty to deal with.

Thanks for the suggestion though!!

Alligator
09-28-2006, 23:53
That's why I prefaced it with "If he doesn't find a ride...":-?
Best of luck!!

Long feet
09-29-2006, 16:53
I work out side of DC and will be going on Friday night after work. If he can take the commuter train down here I can give him a ride down and back. Let me know. It will probably be a little bit late when I get down. I think it takes about 6 hours to drive down there, correct me if I'm wrong.

Alligator
09-29-2006, 17:06
...I think it takes about 6 hours to drive down there, correct me if I'm wrong.That's about right, depending on how fast you get out of the city.

Sly
09-29-2006, 20:24
I work out side of DC and will be going on Friday night after work. If he can take the commuter train down here I can give him a ride down and back. Let me know. It will probably be a little bit late when I get down. I think it takes about 6 hours to drive down there, correct me if I'm wrong.

If you can, you should try to get that Friday off and drive down Thursday night or Friday during the day. The Fridays night welcoming ceremonies are the most inspiring and set the stage for the entire weekend.

Long feet
10-08-2006, 11:19
Too bad I have to work Friday. If I don't, I won't be able to take time off in the Summer for hiking in Spain... Does anyone know if dogs are allowed at the gathering? My wife is going up to Philly next weekend to visit her sister while I go down to WV. I think I will have to take our dog. A small Chihuahua mix (I know, don't say it. He is really sweet). Please let me know. Thanks.

Marta
10-08-2006, 15:36
I'm looking for a ride to The Gathering, too. I'm hiking SOBO, arrived in Duncannon today, am at a friend's house right now, and will be zeroeing in Duncannon tomorrow. I'd like to make it to Boiling Springs, PA, by Thursday night. Is there anybody in the area who could help me out with a ride?

There are a few other SOBOs in the area--Snapshot is just ahead of me; Beater should be just behind me; Chef should be back in Duncannon soon. I saw Gloworm at the Doyle earlier today. (Gloworm is a NOBO, but he's okay. ;-) )

trailangelmary
10-08-2006, 16:32
A lot of people, Billville members included will be at the Doyle Hotel in Duncannon on Thursday night, leaving Friday morning for the Gathering.
If you need a ride from this area be there!

trailangelmary
10-08-2006, 16:41
Marta,
I can give you a ride back to Duncannon from Boiling Springs but it would have to be first thing Thursday morning. Get my phone number from the bartender at the Doyle. I am not in Duncannon right now but will be this evening. We'll see if we can work something out.

Marta
10-08-2006, 20:43
Thanks, Mary. I'm at a friend's house right now, but will be in Duncannon tomorrow afternoon. I'll get your number and give you a call.