PDA

View Full Version : Need advice for easy day-hike in GA.

Jeffj229
09-28-2006, 13:38
Hello! My wife and I would like to do some relatively easy day hikes. Maybe 4 miles round-trip. It needs to be something where we can hike one way for a couple or 3 miles and then hike back to our car. My wife has never hiked, so I don't want to start her off going up Blood Mountain or anything really strenuous. Can anyone suggest something? I've thought about the DeSoto Falls Trail, which I understand is a bit under a mile...but thought that might be a little short. Thanks!

Dances with Mice
09-28-2006, 14:14
Hello! My wife and I would like to do some relatively easy day hikes. Maybe 4 miles round-trip. It needs to be something where we can hike one way for a couple or 3 miles and then hike back to our car. My wife has never hiked, so I don't want to start her off going up Blood Mountain or anything really strenuous. Can anyone suggest something? I've thought about the DeSoto Falls Trail, which I understand is a bit under a mile...but thought that might be a little short. Thanks!

You've just described the "Three Forks Loop" (http://www.mountaintravelguide.com/Hiking%20Trails/georgia/fannin/Three%20Forks%20Loop.htm) - a combination of the AT & Benton MacKaye Trails.

Also an interesting hike is from Three Forks to Long Creek Falls (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=6090&c=665&userid=1030), (the opposite direction of the 3 Forks Loop) continue north to the first gravel road past LCF and turn LEFT. You'll see a picnic pavilion. Behind it is an ancient graveyard, beside it is a homemade merry-go-round (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=7074&c=665&userid=1030)to play on. Maybe 5 miles round trip, probably less. Easy walk.

Panther Creek (http://georgiatrails.com/trails/panthercr.html) or Raven Cliffs (http://georgiatrails.com/trails/raven.html). Both are pretty, lots waterfalls, little climbing (if any at all).

Or combine stops to make a nice day in the mountains with a short hike: Stop at Three Sisters Vineyards (http://www.threesistersvineyards.com/)in Dahlonega, sit for a tasting and buy a bottle to enjoy at Dukes Creek Falls (http://georgiatrails.com/trails/dukescr.html). Don't forget corkscrew & glasses. Then dinner & a show (http://www.blackbeardinnertheatre.com/public/)in Helen.

Footslogger
09-28-2006, 14:22
Another option would be the Bear Hare trail out of Vogel State Park. This is a shorter trail that shares the same trail head as the Coosa Backcountry Trail.

'Slogger

floyd242
09-28-2006, 15:29
I've done the Raven Cliffs falls trail 8 or 9 times, it is always the trail I take people on if they are interested in hiking but have never really tried it.

-
Chris

FanaticFringer
09-28-2006, 16:54
Bear Hair Gap is a neat hike. I would not suggest Panther Creek (the one down from Tallulah Falls). I've done a couple of overniters on it recently. I enjoyed it and had no problems but it does say at the parking lot that the trail is closed due to trail erosion, etc.It has a few tricky spots that are kinda dangerous until it gets fixed. This is one of the prettiest little hikes you are going to find in Georgia.

FanaticFringer
09-28-2006, 21:59
Did an overnite at Ravens Cliffs this past Labor day(Sunday). I was shocked to see the whole parking lot full. That is not a good thing to see when your going to hike. We must have past a person every 3 minutes or so. Luckily it was raining a little and all these people were on their way out. Besides 3 other campers that nite, we had our choice of camp spots. We chose the huge one closests to the cliffs. This is a great trail to introdeuce someone to hiking. Can be a little muddy if it has recently rained. A week day hike would avoid much traffic as I have read this is the most popular trail in Georgia. Not sure if that is true or not.

Dances with Mice
09-28-2006, 22:08
Did an overnite at Ravens Cliffs this past Labor day(Sunday). I was shocked to see the whole parking lot full. That is not a good thing to see when your going to hike. We must have past a person every 3 minutes or so. Luckily it was raining a little and all these people were on their way out. Besides 3 other campers that nite, we had our choice of camp spots. We chose the huge one closests to the cliffs. This is a great trail to introdeuce someone to hiking. Can be a little muddy if it has recently rained. A week day hike would avoid much traffic as I have read this is the most popular trail in Georgia. Not sure if that is true or not.It wouldn't surprise me if it were the most used trail in GA. For a more secluded spot: Count bridges. Immediately before the fifth bridge take a trail to the right (away from the stream). There is a campsite clearing maybe 20 yards back. There's usually a Scout troop on the site you stayed. If you lose count of bridges: The correct bridge will be the first one with handmade dovetail joints holding the spans together, it's a real nice piece of backwoods engineering.

Skidsteer
09-28-2006, 22:11
It wouldn't surprise me if it were the most used trail in GA. For a more secluded spot: Count bridges. Immediately before the fifth bridge take a trail to the right (away from the stream). There is a campsite clearing maybe 20 yards back. There's usually a Scout troop on the site you stayed. If you lose count of bridges: The correct bridge will be the first one with handmade dovetail joints holding the spans together, it's a real nice piece of backwoods engineering.

Crap. You beat me Dances. :)

pedal
09-29-2006, 14:49
The last time I was at Hickory Flats, I looked for the merry go round and unless I don't remember where it sits, it's been removed. I was there in July and maybe someone who's been there since can confirm or deny my recollection.

Pedal

Dances with Mice
09-29-2006, 15:00
The last time I was at Hickory Flats, I looked for the merry go round and unless I don't remember where it sits, it's been removed. I was there in July and maybe someone who's been there since can confirm or deny my recollection. PedalOh no! That's terrible news.

max patch
09-29-2006, 15:51
The last time I was at Hickory Flats, I looked for the merry go round and unless I don't remember where it sits, it's been removed. I was there in July and maybe someone who's been there since can confirm or deny my recollection.

Pedal

The base is still there, but the merry go round part has been gone for at least a year.

Footslogger
09-29-2006, 16:21

Pedal
===============================

That old thing was an accident waiting to happen. Used to take the Boy Scout troop there on hikes out of 3 Forks in the late 80's/early 90's. That said ...the covered pavillion was sure a welcome site back then when we hiked into the area in a downpour.

'Slogger

Mother Nature
09-30-2006, 23:30
I might suggest trying the Helen to Unicoi Trail. It is 3.1 miles to Unicoi Lodge from Helen. The trail has been newly reworked and a pretty walk with portions parallel to a running stream. It is not used heavily and I have found even on weekends I rarely see more than two or three people. You might time it to hit the lunch buffet before returning to your car.

The trailhead can be found off the parking lot on White Street behind the gazebo in Helen (beside Hofer's Bakery/Restaurant).

Mother Nature

Tha Wookie
10-01-2006, 01:44

High shoals falls is the place that turned me on to hiking. the trail is only 1.2 miles in, and goes to two amazing waterfalls. It's up near Helen, 12 miles west, right near the AT on the other side of Unicoi Gap.