PDA

View Full Version : Gregory Shasta owners-need input

Cuffs
09-28-2006, 17:48
I like my Gregory, heavy as it is... but for what I paid, I cant complain. I am in the process of "trimming the fat" off of it, to see if I can lose a pound or 2... When I hike, I dont use the top/lid, thats just extra weight I dont need.

My question is this... in my trimming, since I dont use the lid, do I dare cut off the straps and buckles that attach the lid? (in case I want to sell it later) If I dont cut them off, the straps in the back just hang down like spaghetti, what do I do with them?

If I cut them off, a new owner of this lovely pack would never be able to use the top/lid...

What do I do? HELP!!:eek:

Skidsteer
09-28-2006, 18:00
You could rip the stitches out and save the straps and buckles to be sewn back on in case you sell it later. If you don't sew yourself you can do what I do-develop a good relationship with an alterations shop!

Footslogger
09-28-2006, 18:09
I have a Shasta - late 90's vintage. Plenty of miles on it but new shoulder straps and hip belt. My guess is that if you wanted to sell it as a "Shasta" you'd be best to leave the straps on. For a pack of that caliber and base weight I'm not sure you'd really benefit that much from removing the straps.

My suggestion would be to detach the lid and just roll up/secure the straps.

I don't carry my Gregory packs any more and have both the Shasta and the Reality. Both are in original condition, albeit a lot of hiking miles on both. Might be interested in selling mine and that's why I kept them original.

'Slogger

jasonklass
09-28-2006, 18:15
I sold my Shasta a while ago and replaced it with a ULA pack. I loved the Shasta but it's soooo bloody heavy. I'm really glad I was able to save a few pounds by going to the ULA. If I were you, I'd just sell it now and get a lighter pack. Cutting off a couple of straps and removing the lid isn't going to make any significant difference in weight since the bulk of it is in the suspension system.

Cuffs
09-28-2006, 18:23
I ask for this input because buying a new pack at this point is not an option... I have to use this pack for my hiking. I know what lighter packs Im interested in, but they will have to wait (a long while!) before I can get one. Until then, the Shasta will have to do. I have to live with this pack for about another year (ewww!) hopefully less, but til then...

Butch Cassidy
09-28-2006, 18:37
Yes I too was determined to go all the way with my pack but by the time I got to Daleville I would have hocked the family farm to save 2 lbs. The easy carry of the Vapor Trail won me over. Update us on how that Extra weight is doing about the time you climb out of Lehigh Gap about the middle of June?

jasonklass
09-28-2006, 18:39
Ahhh. Got it. I know the feeling. Well, if I were you I would just leave the straps on. A lot of people don't like to buy gear that's been modified (even if you replaced them later). Then, you can take the money you get from selling the Shasta and put it toward something lighter. Is the problem with the straps more of an issue of them just dangling there?

Footslogger
09-28-2006, 18:43
[quote=Chopper Dave;250490]Yes I too was determined to go all the way with my pack but by the time I got to Daleville I would have hocked the family farm to save 2 lbs. The easy carry of the Vapor Trail won me over.
=============================================

I made it to Pearsiburg in 2003 and fell victim to the same fate. Carried the Vapor Trail the rest of the way to Katahdin and it's still got quite a bit of life left in it.

'Slogger

Cuffs
09-28-2006, 18:45
I debated for days/weeks before deciding to trim the excess off this pack. I know that in doing this, I lose value. I can live with that. The last remaining "issues" are the straps that secure the top/lid.

There are 2 buckles near where the shoulder straps attach to the pack. They are not in the way, just extra weight.

There are 2 straps with buckle "receivers" on the outside/back of the pack. they are approx. 12" long. With nothing to secure them, ,they just hang there...

So that the top/lid will sell with the pack, I think they should stay. Could/should I just roll them up and wrap a rubber band around them?

Skidsteer
09-28-2006, 18:53
I debated for days/weeks before deciding to trim the excess off this pack. I know that in doing this, I lose value. I can live with that. The last remaining "issues" are the straps that secure the top/lid.

There are 2 buckles near where the shoulder straps attach to the pack. They are not in the way, just extra weight.

There are 2 straps with buckle "receivers" on the outside/back of the pack. they are approx. 12" long. With nothing to secure them, ,they just hang there...

So that the top/lid will sell with the pack, I think they should stay. Could/should I just roll them up and wrap a rubber band around them?

There is also a strap in the middle of my Shasta.

I'm on the road at the moment so I can't verify this but as I remember the long ends are on the top pocket and the straps that would be left on the main pack are very short. :confused: Rats, I wish I were home.

bigcranky
09-28-2006, 21:49
I went through this with my Shasta, and more recently with my Keeler. I couldn't bring myself to cut off the lid connectors, even though I never use the lid. I cut pretty much everything else out of these packs, so I'm not sure what's holding me back -- just the nagging idea that I might want the lid pocket one day.

I have a couple of lighter packs, but they don't have the capacity for winter trips, so I keep these on hand. The Shasta is from '93 or '94, and it's getting a little beat up. No elastic left in the mesh side pockets, that sort of thing. But the suspension system still works like a charm.

If you know you'll never, ever need the lid pocket, hey, you could cut the buckles, but I don't think it'll save more than a couple of ounces.

Oh, and with all my cutting and trimming on my Keeler, I only saved 12 ounces, and that includes the lid pocket. Not a great savings.

rockrat
09-28-2006, 22:28
I own a Palisade, and one of the fellows down at Mt Rogers Outfitters was telling me that he took some seconds of carbon fiber and used them as stays on his Shasta or Palisade, I can't remember. Anyway he said he dropped about two pounds off his pack weight by doing this.

Natchez
09-28-2006, 23:29
I have one a could not cut the straps off. I use my Shasta as a travel pack or lend it out on hiking trips. They still sale for like 150 on ebay or put an ad up at Alabama Outdoors. I bought my Zpack for like 100$ I have also seen Vapor trails for 100$ you could do an even trade. That being said the Shasta carries well for a heavy pack.

bigben
09-29-2006, 14:18
Personally, I can't see me cutting the straps of any pack I ever own. I own and love my Shasta, and if it came down to a "I want to trim packweight" dilemna, I would just buy a newer, lighter pack. Take the lid off and cut all excess straps off and it's still going to be a 5 pound backpack. And while it may be easy for me to say just go drop another two bills on a new pack, one of these days you'll REALLY need to stuff your Shasta for a winter trip or kids BPing trip where you're carrying 2 sleeping bags, tent, everything, and you'll either have to re-buy a big pack or borrow someone else's.