PDA

View Full Version : Boots or trail runners??

flagator
09-29-2006, 00:23
Hey all,I'm looking into either buying trail runners, BUT I CANT DECIDE. I've read some informing posts giving the pro's and con's of each. Let me just say that im a trail runner kind of guy. I wear trail runners to work, to the mall, etc. I ran crosscountry in HS so Im comfy wearing them and all. BUT! I have this feeling I'll be much more confident on the trail with BOOTS. I dont even own a pair or boots, and for day hikes here in FL i use my trail runners. And i know there are snakes EVERYWHERE in FL, but it doesnt phase me because its just a day hike and i watch where im going and all and I make plenty of noise to alert a snake anyway, as I usually run trails. But on a long section or thru-hike I think i might be more confident in boots not worrying all the time about snakes, or constantly scanning the ground for them. Im not afraid of snakes themselves but I am scared of being bitten, and in trail runners, my ankles are very vulnerable. I know about each and every one of you has their own preference, but is there a particular model one could suggest. Are their trail runner like shoes, with a high ankle? I want kind of a cross between the two. I am not really concerned with water proofing. I will be using gaiters (which is some line of defense) I just have this paranoia about my ankles! I would love some suggestions. Thanks

Bloodroot
09-29-2006, 00:40
Hey all,I'm looking into either buying trail runners, BUT I CANT DECIDE. I've read some informing posts giving the pro's and con's of each. Let me just say that im a trail runner kind of guy. I wear trail runners to work, to the mall, etc. I ran crosscountry in HS so Im comfy wearing them and all. BUT! I have this feeling I'll be much more confident on the trail with BOOTS. I dont even own a pair or boots, and for day hikes here in FL i use my trail runners. And i know there are snakes EVERYWHERE in FL, but it doesnt phase me because its just a day hike and i watch where im going and all and I make plenty of noise to alert a snake anyway, as I usually run trails. But on a long section or thru-hike I think i might be more confident in boots not worrying all the time about snakes, or constantly scanning the ground for them. Im not afraid of snakes themselves but I am scared of being bitten, and in trail runners, my ankles are very vulnerable. I know about each and every one of you has their own preference, but is there a particular model one could suggest. Are their trail runner like shoes, with a high ankle? I want kind of a cross between the two. I am not really concerned with water proofing. I will be using gaiters (which is some line of defense) I just have this paranoia about my ankles! I would love some suggestions. Thanks

First it all depends on how strong you feel your ankles are? I'll be honest......I started the trail but on heavy miles from the get-go. I have a very weak ankle so I wore Montrail mids. When I got to Damascus I got my Dad to bring my Trail Runners to me. Maybe it's because I wear a size 13 or that I am just 'club footed' but the trail runners I had didn't have a reinforced toe and my feet got banged all to hell. I mean to the point where I took a zero or two because the ends of my toes hurt so bad from stubbing them on rocks I could't stand it. Point I'm making is if you are planning on doing alot of hiking where there is rocks, IMHO I recommend shoes with reinforced toes for protection. I know there are trail runners out there that have 'em, but obviously I didn't at that time.....

flagator
09-29-2006, 00:47
I have never had any ankle problems. Never any ankle injuries from running, or day hiking. But thats a bit different than long distance hiking, I could be in for a supirse a week or two into a hike. Not only that but you have to realize I live in FL, our trails are flat and muddy. You make a good point about rocks, I hate having to scan the ground constantly, and not only do I have to look for snakes but for big rocks i might kick. I will definately take note of reinforced toes. And you say they make trail runners of them, which sounds good. But I here people say how the weight of boots will really get to you. Well trail runners are lighter, but I definately want a high ankle. not because of support, but protection against the elements. If a little copper head decides to strike my ankle, I don't want his fangs to go though, and they'll go right through my gaiters and socks. I know its silly, the odds of a snake bite are rare, but i do want to be confident and have a good time.

Bloodroot
09-29-2006, 00:53
I have never had any ankle problems. Never any ankle injuries from running, or day hiking. But thats a bit different than long distance hiking, I could be in for a supirse a week or two into a hike. Not only that but you have to realize I live in FL, our trails are flat and muddy. You make a good point about rocks, I hate having to scan the ground constantly, and not only do I have to look for snakes but for big rocks i might kick. I will definately take note of reinforced toes. And you say they make trail runners of them, which sounds good. But I here people say how the weight of boots will really get to you. Well trail runners are lighter, but I definately want a high ankle. not because of support, but protection against the elements. If a little copper head decides to strike my ankle, I don't want his fangs to go though, and they'll go right through my gaiters and socks. I know its silly, the odds of a snake bite are rare, but i do want to be confident and have a good time.

I wouldn't fret too much bout the snakes.....I would be more concerned bout the feet more than worrying bout the snakes. Like I said I had Montrail boots and the are very durable. If I had it all to do over again, I would have done the trail in Merrells. Merrells, IMHO, are easy boots to break in and still offer good mid ankle protection.

gumball
09-29-2006, 05:18
I switched to trail runners this year. I seem to attract snakes on our sections, but am more worried about the blisters I was getting in my boots than any darn snakes. Went over all of the PA rocks, up and down mountains in VA and not a darn blister this year. I did more miles and felt more comfortable than I ever have before. I won't return to boots, with perhaps (not sure yet) the exception of very cold weather with snow.

dirtnap
09-29-2006, 06:19
If you feel comfortable with trail runners, use them. Switching to something with more ankle support will only weaken your ankles and decrease their flexibility. Personaly, I would suggest sandals. It hurts when you stub your toe, but after a little while you learn to pay more attention, and it is no longer a problem. Also, sandals are lightweight, allow the feet to breath, and you don't have to worry about wet feet.

-dirtnap

reh1966
09-29-2006, 07:55
Let me first clarify that I don't have the experience that many others have. I just switched to trail shoes over boots and couldn't be happier. Most of my hiking is in the SW Virginia area so we do have some variety in the terrian. I plan to do some could weather hiking in them this winter to see how it goes. My opinion is that the trail shoes are the way to go.

highway
09-29-2006, 08:11
That appears to be a most serious phobia of snakes you have, one you treally dont need.

Snake bite is extremely rare in the United States and death from snake bite is rarer still, like 12-15/year.Florida does have all 4 types of the poisonous ones here but you will seldom see one, let alone become bitten by one and even if you do about one half are dry bites, meaning it want inject poison to kill you. Most snakes seem to be smart enough to realize you are far to big to eat, so why waste the poison on you. Just look where you walk and dont molest the few you may (and that is a very big MAY) encounter. I suspect they are considerably more afraid of you than you are of them, and, given the chance, will get out of your way. If you encounter one, walk around it and leave it alone. And, as far as the copperhead you mentioned, its venom is classified as relatively mild at best

But, if you want to direct that phobia towards something of better note and consequence, direct it towards a healthy fear of lightning, because your chances for getting struck by it are far higher than being bitten by any snake, and the chances for death or dibilitating side effects from the strike considerably higher even. Florida also has the dubious distinction of being the lightning capital of the country. Like snakes, learn how to deal with its prevention, too.

I have being wearing shorts and sandals through our palmetto encircled trails for many years, now, both summer and winter. It just doesnt make much sense wearing the heavy, clunky boots. Besides, they are far too hot and take far too long to dry:sun