PDA

View Full Version : Freezer bag tests

Earl Grey
09-30-2006, 10:27
I just tested from freezer bag meals and they went well. There are pint and quart sized bags so I got one of each and let me tell you, the pint sized versions are PERFECT for 2 packets of oatmeal or grits and water. The quart sized ones are good for lunch and/or dinner which are usually bigger meals anyway. I put all the meals into one gallon sized ziploc bag and labeled accordingly. Talk about a time saver. Oh and Im gonna use a small trah bag to keep used freezer bags in so at the end of a hike they can just be washed out and used again.

Ewker
09-30-2006, 11:39
just fold the freezer bags and put them in another freezer bag, no need for an extra trash bag. I always use the quart size bags. I might look into the pint size for grits or oatmeal

Skidsteer
09-30-2006, 18:01
Yeah that's a good idea Blackmath. I'm gonna check out the pint-size ones too.

Cuffs
10-20-2006, 13:15
I have been trying to conduct some not-so-scientific tests on different cozy types.

First I used some generic brand freezer rated zip locks... the seams failed in the corners...

I thought that maybe the "generic" quality is what failed, so I bought brand name (Zip-lock) freezer bags. They too failed and started leaking (ever so slowly) in the corners.

Is anyone else having this problem?

My second problem... The duct tape I use to keep the sides of my cozy together doesnt want to stay stuck. Now, granted, I did use generic brand tape (are you sensing a theme?!)

BUT! I discovered that by whip-stitching the sides together with craft yarn, I also shaved a bit of weight! Blue CCF pad cozy went from 2.1oz (w/ duct tape) to 1.4oz (sewn sides). And it seems more durable with the yarn vs the tape!

Ewker
10-20-2006, 13:23
only problem I have had with freezer bags leaking is when I have used them more than twice

jlb2012
10-20-2006, 13:24
wrt bags leaking - use a cozy where the zip part of the bag is above water level so that you can leave a bit of it unzipped to let out the hot air - without this pressure relief the air pressure in the bag can cause the side seams to leak/burst - the bags I use are as cheap as they get - store brand sandwich bags not even freezer bags - and so long as I leave a bit of the top unzipped I have very good luck with the bags not leaking

Nice idea of sewing the sides together.

Doctari
10-20-2006, 13:39
My cozy is (mostly) waterproof, it's closed cell foam held together with duct tape. And while I havn't had any zip locks leak, yet, I am prepared.

As usual, I suggest STRONGLY that you practice at home. My first time: not hot enough water (& likely too much water) so it never re-hydrated fully, I had to put it back in the heinekan pot to heat up more. Something I decidedly do not reccomend. 2nd time, I followed the directions, or so I thought, too much water. Now however, I is a "Pro" with the freezer bag cooking thing.

Doctari.

Cuffs
10-20-2006, 14:12
use a cozy where the zip part of the bag is above water level so that you can leave a bit of it unzipped to let out the hot air -

Did that... Hmmm, wonder where Im going wrong? My water, I havent been using my alchy stove, but instead, just heating it up in the microwave, to just about a boil.

If I can get these baggies to quit leaking, I can get back to my not-so-scientific testing! I had both the CCF pad and the bubble/foil insul. wrap available. Im just trying to determine which has better insulating powers (keeps water hotter, longer) vs weight and compactability....

neo
10-20-2006, 14:33
I have been trying to conduct some not-so-scientific tests on different cozy types.

First I used some generic brand freezer rated zip locks... the seams failed in the corners...

I thought that maybe the "generic" quality is what failed, so I bought brand name (Zip-lock) freezer bags. They too failed and started leaking (ever so slowly) in the corners.

Is anyone else having this problem?

My second problem... The duct tape I use to keep the sides of my cozy together doesnt want to stay stuck. Now, granted, I did use generic brand tape (are you sensing a theme?!)

BUT! I discovered that by whip-stitching the sides together with craft yarn, I also shaved a bit of weight! Blue CCF pad cozy went from 2.1oz (w/ duct tape) to 1.4oz (sewn sides). And it seems more durable with the yarn vs the tape!

go to the hardware store and buy a roll of aluminum duct tape use for taping flu gas pipe that will solve that problem,i use only glad heavy duty
freezer storage bags, they are great:cool: neo

Ewker
10-20-2006, 15:12
I havent been using my alchy stove, but instead, just heating it up in the microwave, to just about a boil.

IMO there is your problem

jlb2012
10-20-2006, 15:14
IMO there is your problem

I disagree - I do this often at home - its the easiest way to cook macaroni for one person

Footslogger
10-20-2006, 15:20
Jumping in here with a question. I repackage most of my trail foods in freezer strength ziplocks but I've never tried to use them for heating/eating a meal.

Are you all saying that you put your stuff (noodles, rice etc.) in the empty bag, then boil your water and add it to the bag ??

Thanks in advance,

'Slogger

jlb2012
10-20-2006, 15:22
yes that is exactly what I do - the plastic bag however is in a cozy before I pour the boilg water into the bag

Just Jeff
10-20-2006, 15:27
Yep, slogger - never any dirty dishes to clean that way. Well, except for the spoon, but that's lickable.

Footslogger
10-20-2006, 15:33
Well ...I don't do the whole Cozy thing but I am willing and interested in trying the freezer bag approach. I guess you could make sort of a "pita pouch" out of an old closed cell sleeping matt.

That would really change the way I do meals. I typically add water, fire up my pot and throw in the stuff. Once it reaches a good boil I douse the stove and just let it sit for a few minutes and then dig in. That has always worked well for me BUT ...I do have a pot to clean up after the meal though.

Oh boy ...something new to try !!

'Slogger

Ewker
10-20-2006, 15:41
Well ...I don't do the whole Cozy thing but I am willing and interested in trying the freezer bag approach. I guess you could make sort of a "pita pouch" out of an old closed cell sleeping matt.

That would really change the way I do meals. I typically add water, fire up my pot and throw in the stuff. Once it reaches a good boil I douse the stove and just let it sit for a few minutes and then dig in. That has always worked well for me BUT ...I do have a pot to clean up after the meal though.

Oh boy ...something new to try !!

'Slogger

go to www.freezerbagcooking.com (http://www.freezerbagcooking.com/) all types of meals listed

Just Jeff
10-20-2006, 17:13
I guess you could make sort of a "pita pouch" out of an old closed cell sleeping matt.

AKA cozy.

And it's really not that different from your current style. You're just dumping your water into your food instead of dumping your food into your water. And with nothing to clean, it's much more convenient. But you'll probably need a cozy of some sort - the bag gets pretty hot to hold w/o something between the hot water and your hands.

FWIW, I thought sarbar's book was a pretty good investment. I think you can get it from the FBC link above.

sarbar
10-20-2006, 19:13
Al, what you also might be seeing is a slight form of condensation. I have bags that at time seem to be leaking, but they aren't when I look closer. Usually I have about 1 tsp or less water sitting in my Oriska dish or my insulated cozies. Nothing to worry about overall in my eyes, but I still wondered, and yep, it was as if the bags had sweated a bit of water.

Now, as fer using the microwave to boil water? Sure. I do it often at home for lunch, and if I get a recipe idea :)

Skidsteer
10-20-2006, 20:42
Al, what you also might be seeing is a slight form of condensation. I have bags that at time seem to be leaking, but they aren't when I look closer. Usually I have about 1 tsp or less water sitting in my Oriska dish or my insulated cozies. Nothing to worry about overall in my eyes, but I still wondered, and yep, it was as if the bags had sweated a bit of water.

Now, as fer using the microwave to boil water? Sure. I do it often at home for lunch, and if I get a recipe idea :)

Yep.

If the cozy doesn't smell funny in a few days it's just condensation. :D

Cuffs
10-21-2006, 11:02
FS, i got introduced to freezer bag cooking on the hike of the Approach Trail a few weeks ago. I too was having the issue of cleaning the pot after eating... Thanks to HOI, Ewker, Egads, Skids... and the rest of the gang for this wonderful idea!

As for the water being "condensation..." Nope, its water from the baggie. I can tell, cuz the baggie is empty of water!

BUT, as of right now, I have found that the bubble/foil wrap tends to hold the heat better than the CCF pad... Still trying to conduct a full test, if I can get the water to stay in the baggies!

Topcat
10-21-2006, 12:12
I have not had that problem yet...but i think it is because i always use a size larger than seems needed and i stand the bag top up in my cozy.

While we are talking about this, i am having trouble figuring out how much water to use with the Zatarians rice and beans mixes in my freezer bag. I have gone through 4 boxes now and always end up having to dump the bag and cook the water out. Anyone have a measure they have used with this product?

highway
11-27-2006, 11:31
yes that is exactly what I do - the plastic bag however is in a cozy before I pour the boilg water into the bag

HOI:
Pls describe your 'cozy' you use...Thx

jlb2012
11-27-2006, 11:55
HOI:
Pls describe your 'cozy' you use...Thx

1.) the cozy I use is sized for a sandwich bag and not a freezer bag so if freezer bags are used the dimensions would need to be adjusted

2.) start with a 12 by 7 inch rectangle of closed cell foam pad - I used an old Army surplus sleeping pad - good insulation due to small bubble size

3.) symetrically make two cuts approx 1.5 inches long on each of the long edges of the rectangle - the cuts are 3.5 inches apart - 1.75 inches from the centerline of the long side of the rectangle

4.) fold the rectangle at the partial cuts - the area between the cuts is going to be the bottom of the cozy and the area from the cuts to the ends is going to be the sides of the cozy

5.) squeeze the sides together so they form an eye shaped opening at the top of the cozy and wrap duct tape around the sides to hold that shape - the size of the opening in the top is such that the bag is held open when placed in the opening

6.) turn the cozy upside down and press the bottom down onto the sides and trim off the excess CCF that sticks out from the corners of the bottom

7.) while holding the bottom pressed to the sides put strips of duct tape to hole the bottom in position then wrap a loop of duct tape around the sides of the cozy so that the loop covers the ends of the strips that are holding the bottom in place

8.) if necessary trim the top so that both sides are even with each other

9.) make a separate piece of CCF to act as a lid to the cozy - sort of roughly eye shaped with some excess to cover the cozy opening - in use this part is held down with a rock or water bottle or other weight

highway
11-27-2006, 13:01
1.) the cozy I use is sized for a sandwich bag and not a freezer bag so if freezer bags are used the dimensions would need to be adjusted

2.) start with a 12 by 7 inch rectangle of closed cell foam pad - I used an old Army surplus sleeping pad - good insulation due to small bubble size

3.) symetrically make two cuts approx 1.5 inches long on each of the long edges of the rectangle - the cuts are 3.5 inches apart - 1.75 inches from the centerline of the long side of the rectangle

4.) fold the rectangle at the partial cuts - the area between the cuts is going to be the bottom of the cozy and the area from the cuts to the ends is going to be the sides of the cozy

5.) squeeze the sides together so they form an eye shaped opening at the top of the cozy and wrap duct tape around the sides to hold that shape - the size of the opening in the top is such that the bag is held open when placed in the opening

6.) turn the cozy upside down and press the bottom down onto the sides and trim off the excess CCF that sticks out from the corners of the bottom

7.) while holding the bottom pressed to the sides put strips of duct tape to hole the bottom in position then wrap a loop of duct tape around the sides of the cozy so that the loop covers the ends of the strips that are holding the bottom in place

8.) if necessary trim the top so that both sides are even with each other

9.) make a separate piece of CCF to act as a lid to the cozy - sort of roughly eye shaped with some excess to cover the cozy opening - in use this part is held down with a rock or water bottle or other weight

it took a while to grasp, going from verbal to visual-I had to draw it out on paper. But once I did it fell into place so that even I can probably make it. I have some blue ccf from WalleyWorld, so I'll use that and give it a shot.

Thanks for your prompt, ample & thorough directions, HOI:)

highway
11-27-2006, 15:20
1.) the cozy I use is sized for a sandwich bag and not a freezer bag so if freezer bags are used the dimensions would need to be adjusted...

HOI:
What are dimensions of your sandwich bags? I have some that are labelled 'sandwich bags' size 6.25"X5.50" and the top folds over and is thin. You cant mean this do you?
The freezer bags I have (quart, size 7"X8") can seal but these sandich bags, no!

jlb2012
11-27-2006, 15:29
The size is about right but the ones I use have a ziplock type seal - they are rather thin which why its important to have the bag _IN_ the cozy before pouring the boiling water in the bag - the sides of the cozy support the bag and don't let it stretch too far out of its normal shape - also its important to don't close the top all the way - leave a little space for the hot air to escape or a side seam may pop on the bag - I get some leakage sometimes (maybe 1 in 10 or 20) so I always make sure the leakage has a place to go that is not going to make a mess - for example when using this technique at home the cozy is in the sink when I pour the water into it - even if it leaks however the food is usually cooked well enough.

highway
11-27-2006, 15:38
I cant argue with success so I'll go forward...

jlb2012
11-27-2006, 15:46
If you have enough CCF to experiment with the dimensions I would suggest resizing the cozy to use the freezer bags you already have

sarbar
11-27-2006, 20:57
Not that I'll recomend it on my website, but I have been known to be chaep and use the Glad sandwhich bags. They are NICE! Heavy duty also :)

hopefulhiker
11-28-2006, 10:08
I used a bubble wrap and duct tape cozy, and in real cold weather put the whole thing inside my fleece hat..
Also I used a cut down Country time lemonade container, (Sgt Rock's coffee cup) to rehydrate and cook, the cozy fit over the plastic cup with top.. Same principle as freezer bag, just the luxury of a cup..