PDA

View Full Version : Semi-Rectangular Sleeping Bags

vaporjourney
10-01-2006, 07:30
Does anyone use one of these? I've realized that I really don't like using a mummy bag since I toss and turn so much. My sleeping bag is a tad loose as it is, and when i turn, it's annoying to try and keep the hood around my head properly, and not sliding to the side of my face. I figure a semi-rectangular bag would allow me to wear a balaclava, and stay nearly as warm as with the mummy hood. However, i can't seem to find a good, lightweight bag like this that is good down to 20*. Western Mountaineering has a bag like this, but its really wide. Feathered Friends makes one, but its just outrageously expensive. Looks like I may have to bite the bullet and settle for a mummy bag, but I'd like to post this here first just in case there are other options.

Jaybird
10-01-2006, 07:36
Does anyone use one of these? I've realized that I really don't like using a mummy bag since I toss and turn so much..................etc,etc,etc,................ ...................................... Looks like I may have to bite the bullet and settle for a mummy bag, but I'd like to post this here first just in case there are other options.

Yo vaporjourney:

i've not seen too many rectangular sleeping bags that werent totally "TOO DAMN HEAVY". So, with that outta the way....i'd still go to a MUMMY BAG.
Try CAMPMOR.com....they have many synthetic & down bags in the 20 degree range that wont cost an "arm & leg"...they even have SALES from time to time on "last years models".

good luck.:D

Toolshed
10-01-2006, 08:22
Does anyone use one of these? I've realized that I really don't like using a mummy bag since I toss and turn so much. My sleeping bag is a tad loose as it is, and when i turn, it's annoying to try and keep the hood around my head properly, and not sliding to the side of my face. I figure a semi-rectangular bag would allow me to wear a balaclava, and stay nearly as warm as with the mummy hood. However, i can't seem to find a good, lightweight bag like this that is good down to 20*. Western Mountaineering has a bag like this, but its really wide. Feathered Friends makes one, but its just outrageously expensive. Looks like I may have to bite the bullet and settle for a mummy bag, but I'd like to post this here first just in case there are other options.

VJ,
I have 2 35d 550-fill down semi-rectangular sleeping bags that I have used since 1991. They each weigh about 24 Oz's. I really enjoy them for late spring through early fall. I also carry a balaclava with me whenever I go out.
The beauty is that these bags are lighter than a full bag but still taper at the bottom to allow for a closer fit as with the mummy bags.

Even better, both bags zip open completely like a blanket or zip together for a huge blanket. In summer I personally like to zip the bottom to make a foot pocket and then just drape the sleeping bag over me as a blanket.

The down side is that I have been out in 30 degree nights and shivered horrendously all night long as I tried to stay warm, so a bag without a hood does have its limitations. So for your purposes, if you are expecting to be out in weather that cold, either get the full bag or try to improvise with a Russian "Czar" style hat wit the ear flaps that pull down (great for below zero winter camping) and a good scarf.

hopefulhiker
10-01-2006, 08:22
I had a semi rectangular WM Ponderosa which was great for really cold weather but it was overkill for most of the weather on a thru hike..y It was also too big and heavy.. Consider the Big Agnes sleeping systems or even a blanket.. I really liked the blanket/airmattress combination...

hikerjohnd
10-01-2006, 08:39
Way back in the day (1990 or so) I had a Slumberjack bag that was semi-rectangular but still had a hood that could be sinched up if it got too cold. I really liked it and as I have bought bags, I have been sure the hood option either laid flat or was not very confining. So far the Kelty Light Year bags have filled that bill for me.

Heater
10-01-2006, 08:59

They have the Sycamore which is much like the popular Versalite bag. Same shoulder width. It's a 25* bag though.

http://www.westernmountaineering.com/index.cfm?section=Products&page=Sleeping%20Bags&cat=Microfiber%20Series&viewpost=2&ContentId=21

Is that the one you are talking about?

Peaks
10-01-2006, 09:47
For backpackers, the big three weight items are usually pack, sleeping bag, and tent. And usually mummy bags keep you warmer than other cuts. So, that's why mummy bags are preferred by most.

Want to keep your head warm, but not in the hood? Then just wear a stocking cap, knit hat, or helmet liner. That's what I do.

peanuts
10-01-2006, 09:56
Have you looked at the Montbell Ultra Light Super Strechy bags? They are awsome, but pricy. They do really strech with you and stay put while doing so.
Even tho I am a hanger, on the rear occasions when am ground dweling its good to have. It also makes a great balnket for my hammock....

Weldman
10-01-2006, 12:10
Vapor,

You may want to look at the Lafuma Sleeping bags, they have a warm & light 800 both a mummy and a semi-rectangular - 650fill Down weights 1lb 12oz good down to 30 degrees. I have seen this bag at Any Mountain during their year end sale. I know it not a 20 degree but a liner or extra clothes would work.

http://www.ccoutdoorstore.com/sleeping-bags-pads-liners.html

Good Luck,

Mike

blackbishop351
10-01-2006, 12:19
I've realized that I really don't like using a mummy bag since I toss and turn so much.

Get a hammock and a quilt set - no heavier than a tarp and a big bag, and I guarantee you won't toss and turn! :D

vaporjourney
10-01-2006, 13:37
They have the Sycamore which is much like the popular Versalite bag. Same shoulder width. It's a 25* bag though.

http://www.westernmountaineering.com/index.cfm?section=Products&page=Sleeping%20Bags&cat=Microfiber%20Series&viewpost=2&ContentId=21

Is that the one you are talking about?

I must have overlooked this bag while looking for one that is 20*. I find it strange that this bag without a hood weighs more than the Ultralite Super which is a full mummy bag. I guess I was expecting to see these bags also save weight, which isn't the case.

I have looked at the Montbell SuperStretch series, and am not sure what to think. I probably wouldn't be able to decide on one of those until I actually tried using one. The price and weight are negative factors for those however.

Does wearing some sort of stocking cap keep you as warm as using the mummy hood? I know that sometimes i've read people needing to wear both to stay warm enough. What a nightmare it'd be to be shivering uncontrollably while still wearing all warm clothing in 15* or under. This is especially worrying since I may possibly be hiking the IAT up to Quebec next fall.

Heater
10-01-2006, 14:26
I must have overlooked this bag while looking for one that is 20*. I find it strange that this bag without a hood weighs more than the Ultralite Super which is a full mummy bag. I guess I was expecting to see these bags also save weight, which isn't the case.

It's got a hood much like the ultralite. It actually used to be called the "Hooded Aspen" until the name change last year. It's wider at the shoulders and much wider at the foot. Has a couple of feet more zipper so it can open flat and uses the Microfiber shell which is a a litte heaver than the material used in the Extremelite Series.

springerfever
10-01-2006, 16:32
Good solution for me was :

The WM Aspen semi-rectangular..now called the Alder MF. Very roomy and great zipper arrangement. Converts to a full quilt or just unzip the foot for added ventilation. With zipper in the middle while reclining, its easy to read a book, etc. Can also be worn around camp with footbox open, lower section pulled up around your thighs. Extremely versatile and down can be shifted to maximize loft wherever.

I paired it up with a Nunatak bacalava which rotates with your head when sleeping on either side or your back. It can also be used when hiking under a softshell or raingear hood. When you don't need bacalava, it makes a great pillow in its own stuffsack.

None of this stuff is cheap, but the quality is exceptional and it will last a lifetime if cared for properly........

see links below:

http://www.westernmountaineering.com/index.cfm?section=Products&page=Sleeping%20Bags&cat=Microfiber%20Series&viewpost=2&ContentId=22

http://www.nunatakusa.com/Down_Balaclava.htm

dla
10-01-2006, 17:42
I bought a Campmor 20* mummy and use it as a quilt. Turns out that having a footbox is kindof nice. The hood doesn't really get in my way. I'm 3' 37" and I use the long. I probably turnover every 30 minutes. This has worked for me to 30 with just a single blue foam pad. I wear a good full-coverage cap when sleeping.

Tabasco
10-01-2006, 18:03
I am very very warm sleeper. I carry a 20/25 degree Marmot Wasatch semi-rectangular bag, in the long, it weighs 2 lb 15 oz. Not the lightest tool in the shed, but not the heaviest either. It compresses very well, opens up to a full quilt, has a two way zipper top and bottom to allow for full venting.

I think they have these on campmor now at about $ 140. New full retail is approx $ 225.

JoeHiker
10-02-2006, 17:46
Solution for me was WM Alpinlite. It's not quite rectangular but it's certainly not a mummy bag. And it is rated down to 20°

hiker33
10-02-2006, 18:13
Check out the semi-rectangular bags from Big Agnes. (http://www.bigagnes.com) I have the same problem as the OP and have used a Lost Ranger for three years. I have some issues with the bag but it works. These bags have no bottom insulation which saves a bit of weight. The pad slips into a pocket and serves as the bottom insulation.

The bag has a draft collar, so I seldom use the hood. I usually tighten the collar drawstring a bit but the collar holds the heat in even when side sleeping. I just got back from a trip where it dropped down to the 30's and I never closed the hood. I slept with a fleece cap and was warm enough to leave the bag partially unzipped.

These bags may not be the best solution but they're worth a look.

ES

vaporjourney
10-02-2006, 22:14
Good solution for me was :

The WM Aspen semi-rectangular..now called the Alder MF.

I paired it up with a Nunatak bacalava which rotates with your head when sleeping on either side or your back.

None of this stuff is cheap, but the quality is exceptional and it will last a lifetime if cared for properly........

I think this is the best solution yet, and oh so expensive. My only concern is that the 25* bag isn't quite as low as 20* as I wanted. This would probably be fine, but I havent decided if I'm going to hike into Quebec on the IAT or not after Katahdin...

cabana
01-13-2007, 00:56
I am a cold and restless sleeper. I bet I change positions every 1/2 hour, even at home. I use a wm aspen rect bag, and love it for the same reasons as the other poster. I was worried about the 20 deg rating, so I called wm and they added a 2oz over stuff. That should add a 2 to 4 deg of added warmth. I have been very warm in this bag, and I always sleep with a stocking cap and long underwear.

Another good thing is that in warm late summer/ early fall weather, the bag fully unzips to make a quilt that covers my wife and me. This save the weight of carring another bag. Good luck in your search!
cabana

Heater
01-13-2007, 02:33
I am a cold and restless sleeper. I bet I change positions every 1/2 hour, even at home. I use a wm aspen rect bag, and love it for the same reasons as the other poster. I was worried about the 20 deg rating, so I called wm and they added a 2oz over stuff. That should add a 2 to 4 deg of added warmth. I have been very warm in this bag, and I always sleep with a stocking cap and long underwear.

Another good thing is that in warm late summer/ early fall weather, the bag fully unzips to make a quilt that covers my wife and me. This save the weight of carring another bag. Good luck in your search!
cabana

This bag has been renamed from the "Hooded Aspen" to the "Sycamore".

I have one and it is a great bag.

NICKTHEGREEK
01-13-2007, 10:56
I have some mountaineering friends who swear by the half cut bag, down parka with hood, and gloves approach for staying warm at night. The bag is semi rectangular and reaches from your feet to about your chest, overlapping the parka and draws tight at the top.
Weight means alot to these guys too, and they believe in using all the gear they carry to stay warm at night. The thought of that 800 fill parka not working for them at night drives them nuts, so some have adopted that approach. I've noticed also that they don't cut corners on such weight savers as a 3/4 length narrow pad. They contend that beyond comfort, a thick full cut pad provides insulation where you need it the most, under you where all the high loft feathers in the world still get squashed flat and lose insulating efficiency. Personally, I haven't tried it but 2 friends comfortably slept cowboy in these rigs nestled up against a fallen tree on a 15 deg night while I was in a winter tent and 20 deg mummy and suffered.
A system like this isn't cheap -a good hooded parka costs about as much as high quality sleeping bag. You might save a bit using a thinsulate balaclava rather than buying the hood. Warm gloves are the one item you can get pretty cheap at home depot or the discount stores. Guys in the trades need to stay warm too.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-15-2007, 14:18
Being side sleepers who turn from side to side was what convinced me to make a double bag / quilt system loosely based on the Big Agnes design for us. I have a rectangular BA Insulated Air Core pad and he-dino has a semi-rec Thermarest Prolite 4. Our shared quilt zips to a nylon pad holder for two. I wear a hat at night (cold sleeper) he doesn't.

Pacific Tortuga
01-15-2007, 14:39
I'm sure you have your bag picked out already. My .02 cents worth, Feathered Friends S/R 20 degree Puffin. I do love this bag, I hope you enjoy your choice as well.

"In the mean time sleep well, and dream of large wemon", :D Princes Bride.