PDA

View Full Version : Homemade Speer Hammock

DebW
04-30-2003, 11:09
I made a hammock following Ed Speer's directions from his book "Hammock Camping". Used 1.9 oz breathable ripstop for the hammock bottom and polypropylene webbing straps for attachment. This is a very easy sewing project. I made it to fit my husband (he's 6'1""). Weighs about 18 oz without bug netting or tarp. I wanted him to sleep in it last night, but he didn't, so I did. Compared to the Crazy Crib hammock I have, the Speer is more comfortable in that you can more easily assume a diagonal position and get flat. Perhaps this is due to the greater width (about 55 inches). Also, the hammock sides do not wrap around you as tightly as in the Crazy Crib. I give the Speer Hammock two dancing bananas. :banana :banana I really like having no bug netting except when needed, as I enjoy breeze across my face and unimpeeded views of my surroundings.

attroll
04-30-2003, 11:13
Hey Deb I would like to see a picture of this hammock when you get a chance.

DebW
05-13-2003, 21:07
I put 2 pictures of the Speer Hammock in the photo gallery. I'm working on a second one now and a new bugnet design.

Streamweaver
05-14-2003, 15:35
Is there a reason my post was deleted??? Streamweaver

attroll
05-15-2003, 11:08
Are you talking about a post that was in this thread or one in the gear review?

JackW
05-15-2003, 11:45
Is the pattern for the Hammock available online? What would be the basic difference in Hammocks? Is there insulation from the cold sewn in or is that what the sleeping bag is for? In the event of rain how do you protect yourself?

DebW
05-16-2003, 22:19
The pattern is not available online. Ed Speer is a great guy and I don't begrudge buying his book for $20 to get the pattern. No insulation built into the hammock. Use a thin closed-cell foam pad on the bottom and a sleeping bag. Bugnetting can be sewn to fit the hammock. A silnylon 8x10 tarp is recommended for rain. I have yet to make my tarp.

Originally posted by JackW
Is the pattern for the Hammock available online? What would be the basic difference in Hammocks? Is there insulation from the cold sewn in or is that what the sleeping bag is for? In the event of rain how do you protect yourself?