PDA

View Full Version : Walmart Fabric!! Finally!

blackbishop351
10-01-2006, 19:12
I finally found some Walmart fabric!! I'm pretty sure it's DWR, but I haven't tested it yet.

It's dark gray ripstop, but it has a bit of stiffness and shinyness to it, compared with some green ripstop I found at a different Walmart. If anyone is interested, they had 3 more bolts - not sure of the yardage, but the bolt I bought was just under 15 yards.

blackbishop351
10-01-2006, 19:57
Update - Just got some water on this stuff. It's definitely resistant; running water beaded up and ran right off a single layer, with no bleed-through. NOT water PROOF; I filled a section of it with some water and it bled through after a few seconds, especially with pressure applied. I'm not sure if that makes it DWR or not, but I'm sure it has SOME coating on it. Not sil, but not plain 1.1 or 1.9 oz. either.

Just Jeff
10-01-2006, 21:31
I found some of the same stuff. It's 1.9 oz and I thought it was untreated, but it's stiffer than most untreated stuff. Doesn't feel quite as slippery as DWR, though. Obviously it's treated with some sort of DWR, I think. Should be great for a hammock body.

Tinker
10-02-2006, 02:06
As far as I know, all nylon is treated with a fire retardant, which usually contains a DWR element, usually Teflon or other polytetraflourethelyne additive.