PDA

View Full Version : GA/NC Spring Section Hike

Grunt
10-01-2006, 20:39
My hiking friend and I just complete hiking from Springer to Dick's Creek two weeks ago. We intend to return next year to finish Ga and head into NC. He wants to do this in April (probably late)....my concern is the number of Thru-hikers in this section during the Spring. I'd like some comments on this and suggestions.

Thanks

Phreak
10-01-2006, 21:50
It'll be a zoo at and around the shelters. If you camp away from 'em, you'll be fine.

tiamalle
10-01-2006, 22:49
My hiking friend and I just complete hiking from Springer to Dick's Creek two weeks ago. We intend to return next year to finish Ga and head into NC. He wants to do this in April (probably late)....my concern is the number of Thru-hikers in this section during the Spring. I'd like some comments on this and suggestions.

Thanks3/1 til 4/15 there are from 10 to 50 hikers in these parts almost anywhere you are from Hiawassee to Franklin

orangebug
10-02-2006, 06:35
Late April will prolly be very good. The bulk of thrus will be further north. The trilliums and other flowers will be starting. You should be past any severe winter weather, although frost might still happen.

Go for it, It is a very nice walk.

bigben
10-02-2006, 13:52
I did the Approach Trail to Neels this past May 14-18th and it could not have been better. No mad rush of people. Room in every shelter, though I only slept in Gooch. Enough people to not think you're hiking on Mars, but not crowded by any stretch. The most people at one place including me and my friend was 11. No bugs at all, water a'plenty, leaves on teh trees cut down some views but kept you from needing SPF30. Great weather, but I was told May weather in GA is unpredictable. I'll probably do early to mid May again next year.

Grunt
10-02-2006, 20:55
Thanks for quick response to my question. Your comments were very helpful. As a 54 year old "rookie" to the AT this site is very useful. Thanks again.

Birddog
10-02-2006, 23:00
Grunt, maybe I will see you out. I am planning on doing Springer to somewhere around Franklin, NC in the Spring. Then plan on doing another 100 miles the following fall. BD