PDA

View Full Version : Springer new years

Sundancekid
10-01-2006, 22:43
Hey guys I know there is most likely a different spot to post this but since it will be the start of our year i decided to put it here. With it being october already I was wondering who of my classmates would be on top of springer mountain for the new years and if you were looking forward to it as much as I am. 149 days untill the start of my hike.
The sundance kid.

Just Jeff
10-02-2006, 01:34
There's also a hammock campout at Springer on New Years...you'll have plenty of company!

gr8fulyankee
10-02-2006, 15:10
Yeah last year I believe I counted 36 people camping out, but there may have been more since some were camping over by the AT plaque. Even had one person who was starting their thru the next morning.

Almost There
10-03-2006, 09:19
It's been a tradition for the last few years for a New Years campout. Most are up for the night but there is usually at least a couple who are starting their hike on the 1st of the New Year. Oh yeah, and there are numerous hammockers and tent campers up there.

HapKiDo
11-15-2006, 20:14
The first "official" New Year's Eve at Springer occurred when 1999 turned into 2000. The New Year's Eve at Springer has grown from a few to a crowd and a good time is had by all.

Bring some sparklers, (bring some firewood), bring some New Year's noise makers, bring something warm to wear and your rain gear (because you can't trust the weather), bring your smiles and be ready to share trail stories.

Many who are 'of a certain age' do bring something to toast in the New Year. So whether it's hot chocolate or Capt'n Morgan or another drink, come to Springer for a good time with the best people you'll ever have the opportunity to meet.

Every year there's been someone who starts his/her Thru Hike on New Year's Day -- and who better to encourage and celebrate the first day of another hiker's Thru Hike than a crowd of hikers celebrating New Year's at Springer?

See you at Springer?:sun

generoll
11-15-2006, 20:26
Just don't come with the idea that you will get an undisturbed nights sleep. Unless you plan on camping away from the general merrymakers, that is. It is New Years Eve after all.

HapKiDo
11-15-2006, 20:32
In 1999-2000 I think I got 4 or 5 hour's sleep interrupted by the baby (yes five month old baby) whose parents hiked in via the Approach Trail (with a ten pound tent).

So you might be able to catch a few winks between midnight and sunrise.

Nean
11-15-2006, 22:18
Last year only 7-8 (which could mean 3-4) made it to 06..... as far as I can recall.

floyd242
11-16-2006, 10:51
I know nobody knows me, but I might show up for this. Sounds like fun!

Dancer
11-16-2006, 10:54
I've been looking for something cool to do for new years...
I might just see you all there.

Jan LiteShoe
11-16-2006, 11:07
I know nobody knows me, but I might show up for this. Sounds like fun!

If you show up with a well-seasoned oak log, or food or drink, you'll know lots of folks by the time the New Year dawns.

floyd242
11-16-2006, 11:45
I'll probably hike the approach trail up, but I could make a trip to hwy42 and drop off a load of firewood... Either way I'm sure I'll have a few liters of Bushmills in tow :D

Jan LiteShoe
11-16-2006, 11:49
You can pack a well-seasoned spilt or two up the approach trail.
You'd be surprised.

Lone Wolf
11-16-2006, 11:54
I'm gonna show up with nothing. I expect trail magic. That is my resolution.

max patch
11-16-2006, 11:55
Anyone who participates, posts, or otherwise advertises this group of 30-40-50 people camping on Springer forfeits the right to bitch the next time they run into a scout troop at a shelter/camp site.

Lone Wolf
11-16-2006, 11:56
Anyone who participates, posts, or otherwise advertises this group of 30-40-50 people camping on Springer forfeits the right to bitch the next time they run into a scout troop at a shelter/camp site.

No *****t! The hypocricy!:D

Jan LiteShoe
11-16-2006, 11:56
I'm gonna show up with nothing.

Won't you be... cold?!
:eek:
:)

floyd242
11-16-2006, 12:43

Is this directed at someone, just a general statement or are you against us getting together on Springer for New Years?

just curious

max patch
11-16-2006, 12:56
I'm not going to be there so I don't care what you do ;)

The only point I was making is everytime sometime runs into a scout troop on the trail -- a good thing for the future of the trail from where I'm sitting -- someone always quotes the ATC policy to limit group size to no more than 10; with 4 or 6 preferable.

Those that choose to ignore the ATC guidelines on new years can't bitch when its them that feels infinged upon when they run into a scout troop or other group.

generoll
11-16-2006, 13:58
I'm not going to be there so I don't care what you do ;)

The only point I was making is everytime sometime runs into a scout troop on the trail -- a good thing for the future of the trail from where I'm sitting -- someone always quotes the ATC policy to limit group size to no more than 10; with 4 or 6 preferable.

Those that choose to ignore the ATC guidelines on new years can't bitch when its them that feels infinged upon when they run into a scout troop or other group.

duly noted. by the way, could you provide a reference to the ATC guidelines on New Years? I wasn't aware that the ATC had a guideline on New Years, or any other holiday for that matter.

Lone Wolf
11-16-2006, 14:04
There are no rules or guidelines! It's gonna be a big, drunken soiree. Hedonism and anarchy will be the theme. Let's trash the mutha!:banana

generoll
11-16-2006, 14:19
Hmmm, big drunken soiree? I do recall a bottle or two of champagne circulating as well as various other intoxicants, but I don't recall anything being trashed. Did we meet? Maybe my mind and memory are worse then I thought.

floyd242
11-16-2006, 14:21
There are no rules or guidelines! It's gonna be a big, drunken soiree. Hedonism and anarchy will be the theme. Let's trash the mutha!:banana

Are you trying to convey a point through sarcasm? Or are you just bored?

Lone Wolf
11-16-2006, 14:23
Are you trying to convey a point through sarcasm? Or are you just bored?

Neither. No point. Lighten boys.:)

jlb2012
11-16-2006, 14:33
Only thing I remember getting trashed was one poor hammocker who was so trashed that he couldn't quite figure out how to get in the hammock and ended up sleeping/passed out on the ground under the hammock

floyd242
11-16-2006, 14:58
Neither. No point. Lighten boys.:)

No worries, wasn't upset. Just curious.

generoll
11-16-2006, 15:38
got it, LW. the absence of body language sometimes hinders communication.

max patch
11-16-2006, 16:11
by the way, could you provide a reference to the ATC guidelines on New Years? I wasn't aware that the ATC had a guideline on New Years, or any other holiday for that matter.

Since you axed; here is the ATC guideline, The guideline is for New Years, and also applies to the other 364 days of the year:

"Limit group size to no more than 10, or 25 on day hikes. Four to six is best. Traveling and camping in smaller groups reduces the physical impact to the Trail. Smaller groups also help preserve the sense of solitude and remoteness for other hikers who encounter your group."

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.jkLXJ8MQKtH/b.811341/k.A8E6/Groups_on_the_AT.htm

Alligator
11-16-2006, 16:18
Since you axed; here is the ATC guideline, The guideline is for New Years, and also applies to the other 364 days of the year:

"Limit group size to no more than 10, or 25 on day hikes. Four to six is best. Traveling and camping in smaller groups reduces the physical impact to the Trail. Smaller groups also help preserve the sense of solitude and remoteness for other hikers who encounter your group."

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.jkLXJ8MQKtH/b.811341/k.A8E6/Groups_on_the_AT.htm Since you've chosen to be zealous about this group on Springer, shall we expect the same fervor in regard to scout troops?

jesse
11-16-2006, 16:18
Spent last New Yers Eve freezing my ass off at Blue Mtn Shelter. Have not decided where I will be this year, only it will be way the hell away from Springer.

generoll
11-16-2006, 16:55
i'm disappointed. i was hoping that you could provide the specific guideline for New Years Eve which you referenced in your initial post. i'll be a group of two. guess i am under the limit then. wonder how many other groups of one, two or three i'll get to meet on Springer. lots i hope.

Happy
11-16-2006, 16:58
Spent last New Yers Eve freezing my ass off at Blue Mtn Shelter. Have not decided where I will be this year, only it will be way the hell away from Springer.

You are right...Blue Mountain is avoided by most hikers due to the wind and location...Springer is much better and the tent sites are protected by the small trees nearby!

max patch
11-16-2006, 17:19
Since you've chosen to be zealous about this group on Springer, shall we expect the same fervor in regard to scout troops?

I'm not zealous about the group on Springer. All I said was that anyone who participates in this large group gathering can't bitch and moan if they plan to camp at a shelter/campsite and a scout troop is there. To do so would be hypocritical.

Alligator
11-16-2006, 17:22
i'm disappointed. i was hoping that you could provide the specific guideline for New Years Eve which you referenced in your initial post. i'll be a group of two. guess i am under the limit then. wonder how many other groups of one, two or three i'll get to meet on Springer. lots i hope.Max does have a point, BTW. What he's concerned about is that by advertising here on WB, that perhaps a large number of people, say a group of WBers, will decide to head out to Springer on New Years Eve's. Now if this group, augmented by this thread, should exceed oh 10 or 12 people, then that would go beyond the LNT guidelines. Whether or not you feel you are a group is up to your interpretation. You all could go in a bus or arrive in separate cars (like those boy scouts do) but if you are deciding amongst yourselves what to bring for dinner, you ought to at least call it a pot luck:D. Have fun though and at least think about group size OK?

Maybe the thrus are leaving on 1/1 for the solitude:-? . Or maybe they are up there for a kickoff party, and hope to finish first:confused:.

Frosty
11-16-2006, 17:26
i'm disappointed. i was hoping that you could provide the specific guideline for New Years Eve which you referenced in your initial post.Don't quit your day job :D

Skidsteer
11-16-2006, 18:53
Last time I was up on Springer there was a group of college kids(@ 20) that left a trace worthy of 80-100 folks.

There were also a group of WB er's( @ 8) that left no trace so far as I could tell.

Education does make a difference.

Alligator
11-16-2006, 19:27
Last time I was up on Springer there was a group of college kids(@ 20) that left a trace worthy of 80-100 folks.

There were also a group of WB er's( @ 8) that left no trace so far as I could tell.

Education does make a difference.I've got one word to say about those kids.

DooooOOOOBBYYYYYY!

Skidsteer
11-16-2006, 21:39
I've got one word to say about those kids.

DooooOOOOBBYYYYYY!

No such luck.

Unless they were retreating way further from camp than the standard hippy toss dictated by common courtesy, they were 'clean'(and I have a good nose).

Nope. They were trashy, but not trash. ;)

Two Speed
11-16-2006, 22:00
I believe Alligator is refering to an arcane trail sport known as "hippie kickin'" which might be justified in this particular case.

Skidsteer
11-16-2006, 22:06
I believe Alligator is refering to an arcane trail sport known as "hippie kickin'" which might be justified in this particular case.

It was definitely justified in this case.

Hippies sans ganj = a PITA. :D

Two Speed
11-16-2006, 22:10
Hippies sans ganj = a PITA.I'd modify that to:
Hippies - ganj + trashed out site = PITA
but I think I get your drift. Smoke 'em if you got 'em but police the area up when you're done.

khaynie
11-16-2006, 22:15
Do most hike up from Amicalola, or do most park on USFS 42? Not sure I wanna lug all my studweisers up from the lodge...:eek: j/k

I would like to make it this year, but I've already got plans for the Smoky's. I'll be there in 08.

Skidsteer
11-16-2006, 22:19
I'd modify that to:
Hippies - ganj + trashed out site = PITA
but I think I get your drift. Smoke 'em if you got 'em but police the area up when you're done.

Exactly...

Alligator
11-16-2006, 22:20
In the true egalitarian spirit of hippies everywhere, the sport of "hippy kicking" shall be extended to all persons deserving of a good kick in the pants, litterers included. But to preserve the origins of the sport we shall retain the general alert of

DooooOOOOBBYYYY!

After all, I was known in various circles as "that Jesus looking dude.";)

Ewker
11-16-2006, 22:27
hey Skids, there was some nice looking females there.

Skidsteer
11-16-2006, 22:46
hey Skids, there was some nice looking females there.

True, true.

And they would've been a lot more attractive if I it hadn't been necessary to step over the piles of toilet paper on my hike out in the morning.

Besides, I'm taken; I don't notice such things as attractive females. :rolleyes:

Ewker
11-16-2006, 23:11
Besides, I'm taken; I don't notice such things as attractive females. :rolleyes:

in those short shorts..they were a little cold to say the least...lol

Nightwalker
11-16-2006, 23:35
True, true.

And they would've been a lot more attractive if I it hadn't been necessary to step over the piles of toilet paper on my hike out in the morning.

Heck, Skids, my darling wife points out cuties to me. She knows where I sleep, after all. Well, you know what I mean. Crap, nevermind!!! :banana

Mountain Man
11-16-2006, 23:38
in those short shorts..they were a little cold to say the least...lol

I don't remember seeing any females in short shorts.:D

Skidsteer
11-16-2006, 23:41
Heck, Skids, my darling wife points out cuties to me. She knows where I sleep, after all. Well, you know what I mean. Crap, nevermind!!! :banana

Yep. I know what you mean.

Hold on to that girl, Nightwalker. She sounds like a good 'un.

Skidsteer
11-16-2006, 23:43
I don't remember seeing any females in short shorts.:D

That's 'cause you're taken too! :D It causes us upstanding types to go blind. Mostly.

Sly
11-16-2006, 23:49

Whaaat? :mad: It seems like some need to carry a large ziplock to pack out their TP, or save it for burning. Some peoples kids.. :rolleyes:

MOWGLI
11-16-2006, 23:58
DooooOOOOBBYYYY!

Is that really you Alligator? That HTML formatting looks too familiar. Ridge's wife steal your password? ;)

Skidsteer
11-16-2006, 23:59
Whaaat? :mad: It seems like some need to carry a large ziplock to pack out their TP, or save it for burning. Some peoples kids.. :rolleyes:

Hell Sly, I even saw some large ziplocks scattered about.

Crazy. :rolleyes:

The WBer's, OTOH, were all considerate, conscientious, yet fun-loving folk.

Coincidence? Hard to say. :-?

Nightwalker
11-17-2006, 00:02
Yep. I know what you mean.

Hold on to that girl, Nightwalker. She sounds like a good 'un.

She's the best there's ever been. She lets me hike whenever I want. Nuff said.

Skidsteer
11-17-2006, 00:07
Is that really you Alligator? That HTML formatting looks too familiar. Ridge's wife steal your password? ;)

Aaaahahahahahahoooooooo...:p !

Thanks Mowgli. I needed that.

MOWGLI
11-17-2006, 00:29
Hey Lone Wolf! Drive By Truckers are playing the Variety Playhouse in Atlanta on 12/30 ond New Years Eve. (http://variety-playhouse.musictoday.com/VarietyPlayhouse/calendar.aspx)

Alligator
11-17-2006, 09:47
For the record, I just reset my password, and will be reviewing my last several hundred posts for discrepancies.

For starters
1. Can you imagine a balding guy like me ever having hair past his shoulders. Geez...
2. I am fed a little more than just Doritos down here.
3. I secretly voted for Bush. Twice.
4. I regularly run my bear dogs in the Smokies.

MrHappy
11-26-2006, 19:15
I'll be starting my thru on the 1st, but I shall revel in the revelry. I don't sleep anyways.

Smile
11-26-2006, 20:15
So where do most people park or do ya'll do the hike up too? !!!

peanuts
11-26-2006, 20:18
at the springer parking lot on fs42.

Smile
11-26-2006, 22:17
Thanks Peanut ;-)

MrHappy
11-27-2006, 13:10
Yep. Parking there just makes the hike shorter and the drive longer... about 45 minutes driving up a winding narrow road. The hike is easy though... 15-20 minutes, hardly uphill.

HapKiDo
11-28-2006, 21:38
I'm not zealous about the group on Springer. All I said was that anyone who participates in this large group gathering can't bitch and moan if they plan to camp at a shelter/campsite and a scout troop is there. To do so would be hypocritical.

On what page is the AT regulation about not being allowed to bitch and moan if a Hiker encounters a Scout Troop at a shelter or campsite?

Heck, if I can't bitch and moan when I want, why should I bitch and moan at all?

Or was that the point? :D :D :D Just a little free roaming sarcasm there.

max patch
11-28-2006, 22:29
If you screw up someones wilderness experience then you can't bitch and moan when someone else screws up yours.

Frosty
11-28-2006, 23:06

On what page is the AT regulation about not being allowed to bitch and moan if a Hiker encounters a Scout Troop at a shelter or campsite?
Have to agree with Max Patch here. Why would you think it is not hypocritical to participate in large group camping events and still bitch about other large groups?

Mr. Parkay
12-03-2006, 20:03
Looks like I might be on Springer Mountain on New years as well. I'm thinking about hiking the Benton Mackaye Trail Southbound starting in a couple of days and reaching Springer just in time for the Celebration. Looking forward to seeing some of you guys there!

Frosty
12-09-2006, 16:06
I'll be starting my thru on the 1st, Mrhappy, are you still planning on leaving Springer New Years Day? If my new (warm) bag arrives before Christmas, I may hike for a week and a half north from Springer on New Years Day. Anyone else you know leaving then?

MrHappy
12-10-2006, 18:33
Frosty, I know that G.H.O.S.T is planning on leaving that day. I'm still planning on it, but I haven't bought my tickets yet. My dad flies a small plane and has offered to fly me down if I pay for his gas. If I do that, I won't be able to say for an exact date since weather can easily deter his plane.

Frosty
12-10-2006, 19:58
Frosty, I know that G.H.O.S.T is planning on leaving that day. I'm still planning on it, but I haven't bought my tickets yet. My dad flies a small plane and has offered to fly me down if I pay for his gas. If I do that, I won't be able to say for an exact date since weather can easily deter his plane.Just wondering. I've always wanted to spend New Years Eve on Springer, and to start hiking north on New Years Day would be fun. I think. I have a chance to do that this year for 10 days if a couple of things line up right for me, but I'm not sure it is something that would b as much fun do alone. I enjoy hiking alone, but long nights in a solo camp have lost their appeal. We'll see.

Almost There
12-10-2006, 23:30
Hey Frosty,

You gotta come down, me and the missus will be up there for the festivities and a little loop hike on the BMT the next day.

Almost There
12-10-2006, 23:31
We'll be the ones with the Mutha Hubba, I know big tent, but if I'm gonna get the bug to bite her, comfort early on goes a long way.

Quindio
12-12-2006, 16:22
IS there really going to be a party up there? My self and possibly 4 others will be finishing our thru-hike on the last hour on the last day of 06. God I hope others are there; it will be one of the greatest nights of my life. I'm hiking up with a quarter barrel keg hope your'll thirsty. Rock on. Currently in Erwin.
Quindio

Lone Wolf
12-12-2006, 16:31
IS there really going to be a party up there? My self and possibly 4 others will be finishing our thru-hike on the last hour on the last day of 06. God I hope others are there; it will be one of the greatest nights of my life. I'm hiking up with a quarter barrel keg hope your'll thirsty. Rock on. Currently in Erwin.
Quindio

There will be 40-50 folks there if the weather is fairly decent.

Quindio
12-12-2006, 16:43
that rocks, I didnt think anybody would be there. And I just found out that a few might be comming form Miss Janet's also. After spending one week shy of 6 months on the trail a party will be just what I need. I look forward to meeting you all there.
Quindo, and my Partner in crime, Molasses.

MrHappy
12-13-2006, 01:30
Can anybody give me a ride down from MA? :-D

eventidecu
12-13-2006, 11:45
I've about decided to start walkin north this year with no "plans" or hurry's and thinkin about startin the 1st as I live in the area of NC/SC/GA/TN and can get off trail every week or two for bad weather or "zero's", Kind of section hike until weather breaks. Wana get a jump start on a thru ifin that what winds up happin-in. No plan for a full thru but no plan not too either. Just walkin. Well see. Hey Frank you up for some walkin?

MrHappy
12-15-2006, 23:44
Well my start date has been changed, so I won't be able to make the party. I'm kind of bummed.

Nean
12-16-2006, 17:37
Have to agree with Max Patch here. Why would you think it is not hypocritical to participate in large group camping events and still bitch about other large groups?

So no one who starts the AT in March or April can bitch either?:D

general
12-16-2006, 20:02
So no one who starts the AT in March or April can bitch either?:D

you gonna be there this year Nean? i got some more of those peaches.

Sly
12-16-2006, 20:55
If you screw up someones wilderness experience then you can't bitch and moan when someone else screws up yours.

Lousy argument. No one in their right mind is going to Springer on NYE for a wlderness experience. Also, BS set out in groups and share in responsibilties. Most folks that head towards Springer on NYE are on their own.

Frosty
12-17-2006, 11:59
So no one who starts the AT in March or April can bitch either?:DWhy do you ask? Did you hit a few hiker clumps at Neels last spring? Like about three days after March 1, March 17, March 21, Arpil 1? :D

Nean
12-18-2006, 15:56
you gonna be there this year Nean? i got some more of those peaches.

Naw, can't make it.:( Besides, them peaches got me in trouble last year.:rolleyes: :D :eek:

Nean
12-18-2006, 15:57
Why do you ask? Did you hit a few hiker clumps at Neels last spring? Like about three days after March 1, March 17, March 21, Arpil 1? :D

And a few days inbetween!;)

general
12-22-2006, 21:41
Naw, can't make it.:( Besides, them peaches got me in trouble last year.:rolleyes: :D :eek:

that's too bad, i got blackberries and apples too.

Sundancekid
12-24-2006, 00:16
Hey guys,
I'm really looking forward to the new years gathering with some fellow hikers. Me and butch plan on showing up with enough time to hike up with the camping gear and then hike up again with the celebration gear. What time are most of you folks planning on showing up? If i'm able to, i plan on walking the approach trail down to the lodge the next morning. So hope to see you guys there, if you partake of alcohol feel free to come by for a drink just dont bore us is the only stipulation. cya up the trail.

Sly
12-24-2006, 00:44
Hey, I'm thinking about hiking the Approach Trail to Springer for NYE. Any chance of getting a ride back to my car?

Butch Cassidy
12-24-2006, 19:33
Hi Sly, I have hiked the Approach trail twice and see no need to do it with a hangover? You can ride down with me to pick up the Sundance Kid and Your car. Butch:cool:

Sly
12-24-2006, 19:47
Hi Sly, I have hiked the Approach trail twice and see no need to do it with a hangover? You can ride down with me to pick up the Sundance Kid and Your car. Butch:cool:

Cool, thanks for the offer. I was thinking of hiking up to Springer on Sat/Sun or just Sun. and then catching a ride back.

Hopefully, we'll see you up there.

tiamalle
12-25-2006, 13:06
Cool, thanks for the offer. I was thinking of hiking up to Springer on Sat/Sun or just Sun. and then catching a ride back.

Hopefully, we'll see you up there.any idea how many will be there and is parking going to be a big problem?

wakapak
12-25-2006, 18:04
New Year's on Springer huh? I'm feeling the pull of the trail again.....maybe i'll be there...

Stix
12-26-2006, 18:50
I think I’m going to do it this year. Anyone know the legality of setting off fireworks on Springer? How was the parking last year?

general
12-26-2006, 21:09
I think I’m going to do it this year. Anyone know the legality of setting off fireworks on Springer? How was the parking last year?

it is illegal in georgia, and the caretaker (if he's up there) wouldn't like it too much, but i would enjoy some fireworks myself.

Skidsteer
12-26-2006, 21:28

Bring liquid fireworks and leave no trace.

Stix
12-26-2006, 21:59
:welcome
Yea, I can just see it now…people stumbling around all liquored-up shooting bottle rockets at each other while some George McFly type caretaker running around yelling,” Hey, you! Get your damn hands off those fireworks”! Hilarious…

Skidsteer
12-26-2006, 23:14
:welcome
Yea, I can just see it now…people stumbling around all liquored-up shooting bottle rockets at each other while some George McFly type caretaker running around yelling,” Hey, you! Get your damn hands off those fireworks”! Hilarious…

The Caretaker looks more like Gandalf than George McFly.

You might end up washing dishes Pippen. ;)

MOWGLI
12-26-2006, 23:33
Anyone know the legality of setting off fireworks on Springer?

It's been pretty dry until recently. It is DEFINITELY not advisable.

little_daddy979
12-27-2006, 02:29
Only thing I remember getting trashed was one poor hammocker who was so trashed that he couldn't quite figure out how to get in the hammock and ended up sleeping/passed out on the ground under the hammock

Sorry bout that... I remember a fella named bear who had a handle of Mr. Boston, then I awoke on the ground with a headache at sun up. I would call it sleeping, but it's a very liberal title.

Look forward to doing it again (going to springer that is) and seeing the sun go down this time. I'll get one of my buddies to be 'that guy'. they are peer pressured pretty easily.

HapKiDo
12-28-2006, 21:15
Considering how many hikers will start their Thru Hikes on the same day throughout the month of March, a friendly soiree on New Year's Eve by many individuals from WB should not be cause for alarm. Is it a group greater than 25? Is it two groups of 20? Is it five groups of 15? As long as each person minds his/her manners and cleans up after him/herself, remembers to use the Privy instead of a cat-hole and is discrete with other fluids, nature will forgive us -- by the 2nd of January 2007, no one will be aware of what transpired on New Year's Eve and New Year's Day on Springer Mountain.

Remember: What happens on Springer Mountain stays on Springer Mountain!

HapKiDo;)

HapKiDo
12-28-2006, 21:20

Sparklers are okay, though. And it's supposed to precipitate on the Mountain which could be rain or sleet or snow depending on the ambient temperature.

HapKiDo:sun

tiamalle
12-29-2006, 01:53
Considering how many hikers will start their Thru Hikes on the same day throughout the month of March, a friendly soiree on New Year's Eve by many individuals from WB should not be cause for alarm. Is it a group greater than 25? Is it two groups of 20? Is it five groups of 15? As long as each person minds his/her manners and cleans up after him/herself, remembers to use the Privy instead of a cat-hole and is discrete with other fluids, nature will forgive us -- by the 2nd of January 2007, no one will be aware of what transpired on New Year's Eve and New Year's Day on Springer Mountain.

Remember: What happens on Springer Mountain stays on Springer Mountain!

HapKiDo;) Here is a weather link I copied and taped from my web sitehttp://www.weather.com/outlook/recreation/outdoors/tenday/USGA0155?from=search_10day looks good :D

Lone Wolf
12-29-2006, 02:13
Hmmm. 90% chance of rain. Guess I ain't goin' to Springer.

stumpknocker
12-29-2006, 08:15
Hmmm. 90% chance of rain. Guess I ain't goin' to Springer.

Yeah, I don't think I'd drive from Damascus to stand in the rain either.

I was going take a couple days to walk there from home, but I may just drive up there and see what the weather is like, then decide what to do. :)

Nean
01-02-2007, 16:54
Howzabout an update from Springer.:-?

Quindio
01-03-2007, 00:59
[quote=tiamalle;293670] God I hope you are right.

Quindio
01-03-2007, 01:01
What happens on Springer stays on Springer.

Footslogger
01-03-2007, 09:52
What happens on Springer stays on Springer.

===============================

Me thinks this is a very wise philosophy ...

'Slogger

StarLyte
01-03-2007, 10:25
Glad to see a New Years Eve party and reunion on Springer.

I am very jealous!

Stump you walked up the approach? In the rain? You are my hero.

Poor 'Slog. Looks like he and I just dream about being there on New Years' Eve.

I look out at Lake Erie frequently and think.....someday I'm going to look out my window and see an Appalachian mountain. God help me when that happens.