PDA

View Full Version : Tinker Cliffs 28 mile loop?

wilconow
10-02-2006, 10:57
Looking for a good loop on Columbus Day weekend. Never been to McAfee's Knob before.

Is this a 28 mile loop? The details are a bit sparse in the article. I've the ATC maps for that area but can't check it now

http://gorp.away.com/gorp/activity/hiking/features/loops10.htm

Thanks

The Solemates
10-02-2006, 11:31
I've never done the loop, but the article says its a loop. I'd verify with maps though. But I would say that the Catawba Valley portion of the AT is the best section in VA in my opinion.

Creek Dancer
10-02-2006, 11:39
I haven't done the loop, but I have done that section of AT. You won't be disappointed! It's very beautiful and worth every up and down.

If you plan to stay at Campbell's Creek Shelter, note that the water source may be poor. When I was there in July we had nothing but a little pond of standing scummy water. I was glad to have my filter.

Have a nice hike!

Hikerhead
10-02-2006, 13:38
North Mtn is completely dry on top except for a sporatic spring about 2 miles from the northern end. Look for a sign high up in a tree. The spring is on the McaFee side of the mtn just before one of the longest climbs. Best to fill up when you cross the last creek crossing heading up North Mtn just before you really start to climb. North Mtn is a fun hike with a lot of little ups and downs but nothing major.

Hikerhead
10-02-2006, 13:40
Oh, for about 5 years or so, this was the AT while they were having problems on McAfee Knob with the guy that owed that. This was back in the 70's I think.

wilconow
10-03-2006, 09:32
checked it out on the map.. looks like a little more than .5 mile of road walking, but the loop should be great. i suspect that the home place restaurant is going be passed while doing the road walk?

thanks for the tip hikerhead

Hikerhead
10-03-2006, 13:34
There won't be hardly any rd walking. When you come off of North Mtn at 311, turn right and in about 100 yards you're at the Dragon Tooth trailhead. Go up the blueblaze a little ways, after the first creek crossing get on the Scout trail on the right. It takes you up to the AT>

jlb2012
10-03-2006, 13:43
There won't be hardly any rd walking. When you come off of North Mtn at 311, turn right and in about 100 yards you're at the Dragon Tooth trailhead. Go up the blueblaze a little ways, after the first creek crossing get on the Scout trail on the right. It takes you up to the AT>

Don't you mean the Scout Tr. on the left if you are going up the blue blaze toward Lost Spectales Gap?

Hikerhead
10-03-2006, 13:47
Don't you mean the Scout Tr. on the left if you are going up the blue blaze toward Lost Spectales Gap?

Your right, veer off to your left after crossing the creek. Thanks HOI

wilconow
10-03-2006, 14:09
thanks! i have to type more so it is more than 10 characters

wilconow
10-10-2006, 21:34
well, we did the loop. Seemed like a nice area, but for the most part, we couldn't see much. Fortunately it only rained overnight, but it was extremely foggy in the mornings...when we were on Tinker Cliffs and McAfee's Knob. Oh well, I haven't been out since July so it was nice to get away and get a good workout.

Photos:

http://www.terrapinstats.com/photos/categories.php?cat_id=13

Hikerhead
10-10-2006, 21:49
Glad you had a good hike. Was there any recent rd building on the southern end of North Mtn?

wilconow
10-10-2006, 22:02
on the southern end? I didn't see any roads once we climbed up from 311.

We parked at the Dragon Tooth parking, walked up 311 for just a tiny bit and then went north to Scorched Earth Gap. Then we just went .6 north to Lamberts Shelter, stayed there, and went South on the AT to 624, which we road walked a little bit back to the cars on 311.

Once we got close to the Andy Layne trail, you can really hear that factory. Is that the cement thing? Unfortunately the view of the factory was one of the clearer ones I had

Oh yeah, one more thing.. I posted this in the gallery. anyone have any idea what it is? It looks like a potato, but when we moved a bit of skin it resembled a mango. Someone in the gallery suggested a "Paw Paw"

Hikerhead
10-10-2006, 22:27
They may have relocated the trail on top of North at the southern end. The last time I was across there the trail skirted a dirt rd that had just been bulldozed in by the landowner who's land skirts the top of the mtn there. There's been talk of a cell phone tower.

Yes, that's the cement plant. I could kick myself in the head for this, I should had told you to continue on North Mtn about 1/2 mile past where you turned off the ridge, you would had came to the best view on the whole mtn, where the power line crossed over. Sorry.

The Andy Layne is a new trail (3 or 5 years old) from where you crossed the last creek. It used to run straight up the hollow along a beautiful creek up to Scorched Earth Gap. They took the fun out of hiking to Tinker Cliffs IMHO.

I saw your pick of the Paw Paw. I didn't know what it was. I did come across this (below) along the creek on Andy Layne that I posted. Found out from DebW that it was an Osage Orange. You might have seen some of these.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=797&original=1&c=member&imageuser=132

Blissful
10-11-2006, 08:53
well, we did the loop. Seemed like a nice area, but for the most part, we couldn't see much. Fortunately it only rained overnight, but it was extremely foggy in the mornings...when we were on Tinker Cliffs and McAfee's Knob. Oh well, I haven't been out since July so it was nice to get away and get a good workout.

Yeah that happened to us, pretty hazy without the great views. But I'm glad I get to do that section again on my thru next year.

wilconow
10-11-2006, 12:59
They may have relocated the trail on top of North at the southern end. The last time I was across there the trail skirted a dirt rd that had just been bulldozed in by the landowner who's land skirts the top of the mtn there. There's been talk of a cell phone tower

coming north on the n. mountain trail, we did see a lot of no tresspassing signs on the left.

I could kick myself in the head for this, I should had told you to continue on North Mtn about 1/2 mile past where you turned off the ridge, you would had came to the best view on the whole mtn, where the power line crossed over. Sorry.

So if you're coming north on the n. mountain trail, do you mean when you go down off the ridge to the right, eventually hitting the andy layne trail at the parking on i believe 779?

If we went straight, I think we would've hit that view you mentioned

I saw your pick of the Paw Paw. I didn't know what it was. I did come across this (below) along the creek on Andy Layne that I posted. Found out from DebW that it was an Osage Orange. You might have seen some of these.

thanks! yep we did see those.. my friend knew those.. but we had no idea about the paw paw

wilconow
10-11-2006, 13:00
But I'm glad I get to do that section again on my thru next year.

yeah, we're going back, and are going to take 3 days this time, and do dragon tooth too.

sweetpeastu
01-28-2008, 10:23
Can anyone tell me how far Tinker Cliffs is from the park-n-ride in Daleville, right near I81?

Thanks!

Lone Wolf
01-28-2008, 10:27
10.5 miles

sweetpeastu
01-28-2008, 12:01
uhhhh, Just to confirm its 10.5 miles from the base or start of Tinker Cliffs.....(as if you were coming from McAfees Knob)going northbound toooo the Park n Ride???

After you've hiked Tinkers Cliffs and are follwing the AT to the road in Daleville, do you know how far that is to the Park N Ride???

Thanks for the info. :)

Groucho
01-28-2008, 13:16
uhhhh, Just to confirm its 10.5 miles from the base or start of Tinker Cliffs.....(as if you were coming from McAfees Knob)going northbound toooo the Park n Ride???

After you've hiked Tinkers Cliffs and are follwing the AT to the road in Daleville, do you know how far that is to the Park N Ride???

It is 10.5 miles from Scorched Earth Gap, Andy Layne Trail intersection, to US 220 in Daleville. SEG is 0.6 mi. N of Lamberts Meadow Shelter on the AT. If you hiked S on the AT to SEG, you would have just finished the Cliffs at SEG.

The parking lot is about 0.2 mi. S on 220 from where the AT intersects 220; this means you would take a right to get to the lot if travelling S on the AT from SEG. I don't know if the AT has been rerouted since I was there.

Hikerhead
01-28-2008, 14:24
Here's the trail sign at Scorched Earth Gap, at the gap on the northern end of Tinker Cliffs.

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=337&catid=member&imageuser=132

Lone Wolf
01-28-2008, 14:27

10.5 miles