PDA

View Full Version : First time hiking through SNP...

bmac
10-02-2006, 15:07
I am tentatively planning on an AT trip through SNP next spring. Although, I have hiked the AT before and I have been to SNP, I have never done any AT hiking in SNP. I was just curious to know how long it would take an average hiker in good shape to make it through the park. Also, once I make it to the southern terminus of the trail in SNP, what is the best/easiest way to make it back north to my car?

Regarding supplies, I plan on bringing my usual gear, however is getting food and water really as easy as everyone says? Is potable water plentiful, or should I plan on bringing a filter?

Also, if anyone is interested in going around April/May 2007, please let me know.

Lone Wolf
10-02-2006, 15:10
Plan on 6 days. Food and water is plentiful.

Creek Dancer
10-02-2006, 15:25
It's around 100 miles. The terrain is generally moderate. As L. Wolf said, 6 days is about average if you are up to around 16 miles per day. Check out the PATC website for information on shuttles. I think NOBO's are going through the SNP at that time of year, so you should probably bring a tent just in case the huts are full. (Somebody correct me if I am wrong about that.)

Have a great time!

jlb2012
10-02-2006, 15:25
better off hiking toward your car - ie get the shuttle first then you can be more relaxed in your scheduling

April/May - note Loft Mtn. campstore/wayside may not be open yet - tends to open mid to late may iirc

Water filter - personal choice but I would probably drink straight from the springs - "tap" water or bottled is probably not available enough for your needs again depending on the schedule of campground openings

with out knowing your speed I can't estimate but as a guess 6 to 9 days would be a reasonable range - thru hikers will often do it in 5 but they are in good shape by the time they reach SNP

Creek Dancer
10-02-2006, 15:28
Good points HOI!

bmac
10-02-2006, 15:48
Thanks for the advice!

Peaks
10-02-2006, 16:14
I don't know what your schedule is, but some of the best parts of Shenandoah National Park are off the ridge, and thus off the AT.

If your schedule allows, you might check out some of the blue blazes.

And another thing, while food is available at Waysides, it may not be backpacker type food. The Waysides then to cater more to those camping in the drive in campgrounds.

peter_pan
10-02-2006, 19:56
It may not be your favorite item or brand but there is plenty of backpacking suitable food items in the waysides.

Pan

Tamarack
10-02-2006, 20:34
When I was in the Loft mtn camp store the thursday before the Labour day long weekend, just as rains from the frontal ridge drenched the place and ernesto was to hit ground, they did have backpacking food. Backpackers pantry (i think) a good selection from what I glanced at, they have good fudge too.

Rain Man
03-22-2007, 14:34
I am tentatively planning on an AT trip through SNP next spring. ...
Also, if anyone is interested in going around April/May 2007, please let me know.

If you don't mind, post a report on your hike. My daughter, wife, and I plan to hike the SNP in July and I'd love to hear any updates, trail concerns, water conditions, and the like. THANKS!!!

Rain:sunMan

Kiyu
03-22-2007, 22:40
I am tentatively planning on an AT trip through SNP next spring. Although, I have hiked the AT before and I have been to SNP, I have never done any AT hiking in SNP. I was just curious to know how long it would take an average hiker in good shape to make it through the park. Also, once I make it to the southern terminus of the trail in SNP, what is the best/easiest way to make it back north to my car?

Regarding supplies, I plan on bringing my usual gear, however is getting food and water really as easy as everyone says? Is potable water plentiful, or should I plan on bringing a filter?

Darn. I'd love to go with you unfortunatly I am a manyyearsofftrail/pain in the butt hiker. It wil be a long ramp up for me and I am not sure I will be even ramping by then. It has been many years since my son & I hiked down the South Fork of the Moormans trail (the hemlocks were still around which was wonderful in the snow, what wonderful memories) but we were unable to find a way through. I've fished the North Fork of the Moomans up until it got hammered by a storm in '96 but prior to that we would see hikers doing the Moormans Loop regularly. The Big Run Loop was nice but I think the shelter that was there has been removed in the last 35 years. Also I nearly had my clams fried there trying to make the Big Run/Rocky Top loop. Big mistake for a moron newbie hiker.:)
The SNP, from what I have read out here, is the easy part of the trail and would be my starting point for any hiking in the future.

Kiyu

fredmugs
05-01-2007, 08:57
I intend to hike SOBO thru the park May 9 - 14. Here is a link to when stores and campgrounds are open: http://www.nps.gov/shen/planyourvisit/loader.cfm?url=/commonspot/security/getfile.cfm&PageID=119154

OHBob
05-01-2007, 09:15
I'm going to take a slow tour through SNP in June, wandering off and on the AT, down into the valleys for backcountry camping. Some places I haven't visited in a while, so I intend to just take my time. I'll be hiking down from Harper's Ferry to Waynesboro.