PDA

View Full Version : Big agnes

indyboys1
10-02-2006, 22:00
I was just wondering if any of you hammockers out there had a big agnes sleeping bag and how it worked for you

briarpatch
10-03-2006, 09:13
I've used a BA Encampment with an insulated Air Core pad in a Clark hammock a few times. It worked OK down to the mid 40's, which is a low as I've tried it. I've switched to a pair of No Snivellers, one as a top quilt and one as an underquilt. I like the quilt pair better, its more comfortable and I've used it in colder temps, plus I like being able to wear the quilt as a poncho on cold mornings.

c.coyle
10-03-2006, 13:17
I've used a BA Cross Mountain and non-insulated Air Core Pad in my Hennessey down to the high 30's and been very comfortable. I'm a warm sleeper. I think BA rates the non-insulated Air Core at 35 degrees, and that seems realistic to me. I only inflate it to 1/2 to 2/3 full, so it conforms to the curve of the hammock.

It takes a little squirming to get in the bag, but you'll figure it out.

I haven't gone to any of the over / underquilt systems because (1) I generally don't due sub-freezing overnighters and (2) having a bag and pad gives you the option of sleeping on the ground or in a shelter if your plans suddenly change.

I see that Western Mountaineering has introduced some BA style bags with a pad sleeve and no bottom insulation. My big problem with the BA Cross Mountain is its bulky synthetic insulation. It takes up more pack room than I'd like.

msupple
10-04-2006, 09:24
Just curious....Did you have the 20" or 25" wide BA sleeping pad. I'm thinking 25" would be better. I'm not too concerned about weight and would be buying just the mattress. Recommendations?

c.coyle
10-04-2006, 09:59
Just curious....Did you have the 20" or 25" wide BA sleeping pad. I'm thinking 25" would be better. I'm not too concerned about weight and would be buying just the mattress. Recommendations?

I have the 20" Air Core pad, which fits inside the bag sleeve, so you're always over the pad. Big Agnes stuff isn't the lightest, but I don't mind a little extra weight for a little better sleep. I don't have much experience using a pad outside the bag in a hammock, so I don't know if a 25" pad would be better.

I'm saving my pennies for a Western Mountaineering 30 Degree Pod. According to their web page, the total weight of the pad and the bag is 2#.

slowhike
10-04-2006, 23:24
i belive i`m through buying BA pads. i bought the insulated air core last year & it was great untill it started leaking.
after finding out that a lot of others were having the same problem, i called BA. i had to send it back to them & do with out until the replacement arrived.
earlyer this spring it started leaking too. this was suposed to be the new & emproved w/ a differant fabric, etc, so i put it in the tub w/ water, found the leak, & repaired it w/ thier kit & instructions.
ok for a couple weeks, then it leaked again.
i just let it lay there all summer until someone (not sure which forum now) said they had the same situation, but when they called BA they didn`t even make them send in the leaking pad the 2nd time. they just sent them a replacement.
so i called BA today. the warenty guy said i would have to mail the pad to them & they would repair or replace it. i asked the guy... you mean i`ve got to package this thing up again, take it to the post office, & pay shipping...again... because your product is failing? he said that`s the policy.
when i told him about the person on a backpacking forum that said BA had just went ahead & shipped the new pad (w/ differant fabric & valve), he said they dont do that. now i dont know whos liying, but somebody is.
he did finaly ask me if i wanted him to mail me a shipping label so i wouldn`t have to pay shipping.
but what it realy comes down to is this... any company can run into problems, but when they want me to keep taking on part of the cost of it after i`ve already bought thier product, i`m starting to really have a problem w/ that. mater a fact... i think i should call BA back & tell them not ot bother to send the shipping label. i sure don`t want them repairing the same pad, made w/ faulty materials & sending it back to me... or even suggesting that.
if you have questions about BA`s ongoing problem w/ leaking pads, look around on this & other backpacking forums. ...tim