PDA

View Full Version : Long Trail Bound

hammock engineer
10-02-2006, 23:28
I am taking off for the LT on Wednessday morning and wanted to share my excitment with people that would understand. I'm still getting the usual questions and comments. Some people will never learn what they are missing.

I also wanted to thank everyone on WB for answering all my questions and posting useful info. I could hike without WB, but it sure cuts down on the learning curve and mistakes.

:banana :banana :banana :banana

Kerosene
10-02-2006, 23:35
Have a great hike, and keep warm!

hammock engineer
10-02-2006, 23:45
Thanks, if anything else I will have my cold weather setup covered. Below is my clothes list if anyone has any suggestions.

2 pair mid weight tops/bottoms (1 only for sleeping)
3 pairs of socks (1 being worn, 1 only for sleeping)
100 weight fleece top
raincoat
rainpants
OR mittems
glove liners
windproof fleece hat
neck gator/face shield
OR gaiters
syn t shirt
syn shorts
new balance trail runners

sleeping
McCat tarp
HH Explorer ultra light
Montbell super strech #2
JRB nest
1/2" full cc pad

Thanks

Kerosene
10-02-2006, 23:54
For me, I would probably replace a pair of the mid-weight top/bottoms with a lightweight version, especially if I'm planning to hike in them. If it gets too cold for that, then I would simply layer on my raingear until I sufficiently warm up.

A-Train
10-03-2006, 00:02
Unless you really love being in your hammock/tarp, it's probably unecessary. I know this is pretty crappy advice, since there's always possibility of an accident/emergency, but this time of yr, and the amount of shelters on the LT, well you could definately rely on shelters. Could be a good way to save a couple pounds.

Have fun, the LT is awesome, especially this time of year!

hammock engineer
10-03-2006, 00:08
Unless you really love being in your hammock/tarp, it's probably unecessary. I know this is pretty crappy advice, since there's always possibility of an accident/emergency, but this time of yr, and the amount of shelters on the LT, well you could definately rely on shelters. Could be a good way to save a couple pounds.

Have fun, the LT is awesome, especially this time of year!

Thanks for the advice and suggestion, but the hammock is way to comfortable for me to leave home. My good nights sleep is worth the weight to me. Although the warming huts I keep reading about may look pretty good if it is cold and raining.

Tramper Al
10-03-2006, 10:46
Hi HE,

I am a veteran LT end to ender and Northern New England Fall/Winter hiker.

Looking at your clothing list, I wonder if it will be quite enough at times. Do you have shell miitts, or just liners + fleece? I was going to suggest spares of things like liner gloves and hat, as they will get wet. I might suggest a lightweight balaclava instead of that neck gator, as I think you would find that much more versatile. I also wonder if you might be better off with another insulating layer for camp. After a cold rainy afternoon hiking, I think you will find that a midweight top and 100 wt fleece isn't nearly enough to be comfortable on some October evenings along the trail. I use what you list (long sleeve + 100 wt top) in summer, and occasionally need them both in the 2500-4000 foot range. I like adding in a polarguard type fill insulating jacket from October on, rather than heavy fleece.

Another thing you might think about is a pair of VBL socks. When everything gets wet, they can go a long way toward keeping your toes warm, especially in camp. You can thus try to dry those socks without sucking the heat right out of your feet, and you can also put on soggy shoes for camp errands without compromising your last pair of dry liner socks. I would take VBL socks before a third pair of regular socks. You can also improvise with some strong zip lock bags and rubber bands, if you have them

Now, some of this depends on which direction you are hiking, and of course it may be an unusually warm or cold October, you never know. Sure, you could get (and stay) in your sleeping bag, but I prefer not to HAVE to do that every evening, just to stay warm. If you are NOBO and looking at Camel's Hump to Jay in late October, it could well be quite chilly, with a fair chance of some significant snowfall.

And yes, A-Train's "don't carry any shelter" advice is quite bad, but at least he knows it.

JJB
10-03-2006, 11:13
On the LT be prepared to meet some of the nicest people you could ever imagine. To me the whole vibe is so different that lets say the whites or other parts of the AT in New England. Nobodys trying to go anywere real fast. Although I was just north of Mt.Mansfield last month and met two LT thu's at Sterling pond who got there in 14 days. That's just too fast. You got to stop and smell the cows. LOL. Have fun and pack warm as they already have had a couple of good frosts up north. Peace. JJB.

Tinker
10-03-2006, 12:42
I would add a synth. filled vest to that list and possibly a windshirt.

Windshirts can't be beat for the extra warmth they add by blocking the wind.

If you're willing to use your bag to warm up at rest stops, you don't need a vest, but you won't want to get your bag wet, so you might have to choose between being cold at rest stops or having a wet bag at night, hence the recommendation for a vest.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
10-03-2006, 13:25
Just chiming in to wish you a great hike. Bring back some pics :sun

virtualfrog
10-03-2006, 13:28
I just got back from 3 days on the LT....basically, expect to be cold and wet.

Bring extra layers (heavyweight for when you're at camp...I was in 2-3 layers at camp always) that you can 100% keep dry. Extra socks for at camp especially.

Expect to see almost nobody unless you're really close to a dayhike destination. I saw (in between H. Notch and Rt. 15) only one other person w/ a pack, and one thruhiker. Couple dayhikers, but only a couple near Belvedere/Devils Gulch.

I'd go SOBO....it's cold up here at the North end right now, and only getting colder. Expect nighttime temps well below freezing regularly by the time you get up here. Cold days as well, and some frigid winds whenever you get exposure. Shelters are nice nice nice. Too bad they don't have woodstoves anymore :(.

I recommend trekking poles to help polevault over mudholes...I don't know what the trail's like in the South, but up north here, it's pretty boggy much of the time.

But, it's fun. Now, I just wish it wasn't raining everytime I'm hiking on it so I could actually get a view from the overlooks!

neo
10-03-2006, 13:33
I am taking off for the LT on Wednessday morning and wanted to share my excitment with people that would understand. I'm still getting the usual questions and comments. Some people will never learn what they are missing.

I also wanted to thank everyone on WB for answering all my questions and posting useful info. I could hike without WB, but it sure cuts down on the learning curve and mistakes.

:banana

:) i hope you have a great hike,take plenty of pictures,happy hammock hanging to ya:cool: neo

JoeHiker
10-03-2006, 13:45
I agree on the SOBO route. Get the cold, hilly parts out of the way first. Once you get south of Killington, it's a breeze by comparison

I also agree with using the hammock. Those LT shelters are LOADED with mice. Last year I used the same setup you have and loved it.

hammock engineer
10-03-2006, 14:43
Thanks for all of the advice. I am going to look into adding another warm layer and VB socks. I am going north to south. I lucked out and have extended family that lives right off the trail about 50 miles in. So I will have a place to stop and make any changes or additions as needed.

I like the idea of not seeing a lot of people. I dealt with way too many people at the job I just left and want a change. I have as long as I need to complete. A month is what I am thinking. Plenty of time to stop and smell the cows.

I'll post some pics when I get back.

hammock engineer
10-03-2006, 14:49
Looking at your clothing list, I wonder if it will be quite enough at times. Do you have shell miitts, or just liners + fleece? I was going to suggest spares of things like liner gloves and hat, as they will get wet. I might suggest a lightweight balaclava instead of that neck gator, as I think you would find that much more versatile. I also wonder if you might be better off with another insulating layer for camp. After a cold rainy afternoon hiking, I think you will find that a midweight top and 100 wt fleece isn't nearly enough to be comfortable on some October evenings along the trail. I use what you list (long sleeve + 100 wt top) in summer, and occasionally need them both in the 2500-4000 foot range. I like adding in a polarguard type fill insulating jacket from October on, rather than heavy fleece.

The OR mittems I have are shell mittems. Windproof and pretty warm. The patagonia liners I have dry out quickly. The neck gaiter I have is closer to a face sheild. It is windproof and velcros on as opposed to slipping over my head. I can't stand things tight around my neck.

I have a 100 wt pants and 200 wt jacket that may make the cut. They will add to the pack weight, but I think I will like having them in the end. A polarguard jacket is on the Christmas list.

virtualfrog
10-03-2006, 15:34
Thanks for all of the advice. I am going to look into adding another warm layer and VB socks. I am going north to south. I lucked out and have extended family that lives right off the trail about 50 miles in. So I will have a place to stop and make any changes or additions as needed.

I like the idea of not seeing a lot of people. I dealt with way too many people at the job I just left and want a change. I have as long as I need to complete. A month is what I am thinking. Plenty of time to stop and smell the cows.

I'll post some pics when I get back.

Not seeing people - that's a plus for the LT. Even during the summer, you don't see too many people in the northern reaches. Now, you'll have almost total solitude. The shelters have been entirely empty, though looking at logbooks, there's a person about every other day in them still. Maybe every third day.

Oh...and I'd probably leave the shorts behind. Unless you're a real warm hiker, or run into a rather warm day, I'd pick them up further south. You may be able to drop a layer once you get south of your relatives (Stowe area, I'm presuming). Just depends on the weather.

Mice in shelters - I haven't had a problem /shrug. Hammocks are nice, but I must say I love the shelters.

JoeHiker
10-03-2006, 16:28
Hey Hammock Engineer. Send me a PM if you get a chance and don't mind and I'll respond tonight.

JoeHiker
10-03-2006, 16:44
Never mind, I sent you one (don't know why I didn't htink of that to begin with) Check your PMs

Just Jeff
10-03-2006, 18:21
HE - no advice here, but I'm insanely jealous that you get to hammock the LT! Enjoy it!

neo
10-03-2006, 18:23
HE - no advice here, but I'm insanely jealous that you get to hammock the LT! Enjoy it!

:D hammock hanging is the only way to go:cool: neo

virtualfrog
10-03-2006, 18:37
Gots to get me one of them for next year....

JoeHiker
10-04-2006, 07:50

The LT really is perfect for Hammock Hanging. I'm already planning to take another crack at the whole thing (last time snow knocked me out) in 2008 (or 2007 if I can get enough vacation time).

hammock engineer
10-17-2006, 18:12
Well I had to cut my trip short. I had a family thing come up that I had to come home for. I did however make it 81 miles. I'm considering it a shakedown section hike for my thru next year. I have a bunch of new questions to ask for a few gear items to replace. All in all, it made me want to do a thru hike even more.

A-Train
10-17-2006, 19:07
Good for you. I had to cut it short at 105 miles in the first time. Filled in the gap this september and had a great time. The trail ain't going anywhere, it's been there for almost 100 years:) Glad you had fun

JoeHiker
10-19-2006, 14:34
Sorry to hear it. I had to cut mine short last year as well. Got as far as Rolston Rest Shelter (going SOBO) just north of the Inn at Long Trail. At least you had some good weather!

hammock engineer
10-19-2006, 18:56
Thanks for the words. I had some great weather. I read about a lot of rain the week or so before I got there in the registers, and it looks like it is going to be doing some rain/snow up there soon. I'm already thinking about picking up the missed sections next year after my AT hike if everything works out.

The LT is definitly a great hike and it lived up to all the talk of it being a hard trail.