PDA

View Full Version : why are all trail people weird?

mweinstone
10-03-2006, 18:10
just wondering. thanx.

Just Jeff
10-03-2006, 18:13
Trail people aren't the wierd ones. City people are the ones who have strayed from nature.

RockyTrail
10-03-2006, 18:15
Because they've been on Whiteblaze too long? :-)

Blister
10-03-2006, 18:19
Who has the authority to judge the norm???

Just Jeff
10-03-2006, 18:22
Everyone.

Mother's Finest
10-03-2006, 18:25
what if you live in the city but love the woods?

Just Jeff
10-03-2006, 18:26
Then you're a transplant...not really a city folk.

Mother's Finest
10-03-2006, 18:32
so that means that me and the thread starter actually don't belong where we live....kind of makes sense.

peace
mf

bfitz
10-03-2006, 18:32
Normal people scare me.

Just Jeff
10-03-2006, 18:38
As long as scary people don't norm you, then you're ok in my book. Didn't you know I'm writing a book? It's about all the scary things I read on WB...

VictoriaM
10-03-2006, 18:47
What if you love the city and the woods?

bfitz
10-03-2006, 19:01
I think that means you're weird.:D

Phreak
10-03-2006, 19:03
just wondering. thanx.
Please define 'weird'.

emerald
10-03-2006, 19:09
so that means that me and the thread starter actually don't belong where we live....kind of makes sense.

peace
mf

Maybe that's the most convenient way for you to earn a living and afford to be where you would rather be? Perhaps it's that you can see the benefits of both worlds and realize that one cannot exist without the other?:-?

I once thought for a short period of time that I wanted to be a recreation major. In a course I once took on recreational theory, I was taught that the quality of a recreational experience was determined by the degree to which it differs from one's normal existance. If that's so, maybe you get even more from the experience?

Put another way, rainy days make the sunny:sun meaningful just as the bad days make good days that much better. It's a way of looking at things too that helps a thru-hiker keep going when emotional valleys must be crossed before ascending to the peaks, and no doubt all thru-hikes are comprised of such ups and downs.

Hammerhead
10-03-2006, 19:55
It's just you

Lone Wolf
10-03-2006, 20:02
just wondering. thanx.

I'm ***ing normal and you can't spell. On purpose.

Lugnut
10-03-2006, 20:12
I've always observed that horse people, motorcycle riders and hikers are all kind of different from "normal". May be the different drummer syndrome. No, I don't know if LW rides a horse. If not there has to be a horse someplace with his name on it. :banana

Lone Wolf
10-03-2006, 20:17
I've always observed that horse people, motorcycle riders and hikers are all kind of different from "normal". May be the different drummer syndrome. No, I don't know if LW rides a horse. If not there has to be a horse someplace with his name on it. :banana

Yeah. Branded on it's ass.

ed bell
10-03-2006, 20:21
I've always observed that horse people, motorcycle riders and hikers are all kind of different from "normal". I think you are on to something there. How about bicyclists or unicyclists?:D

Daddy Longlegs
10-03-2006, 20:27
I've always observed that horse people, motorcycle riders and hikers are all kind of different from "normal"

Horse people, "real motorcycle folks" and hikers are on the outside of "normal" city people. I have been backpacking off and on for 15 years and road a motorcycle for 12 years. If you sit down with any of the above and really talk to one of them then you will see that we all have very much in common with one another and to everyone else is weird. I think that everyone else has their ideas messed up and are all after the $ while the rest of us only work so that we can get outside and do what we love even if it is only for a day, weekend, or more.

Dances with Mice
10-03-2006, 20:32
I think you are on to something there. How about bicyclists or unicyclists?:DWhat's abnormal about unicyclists (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=7511&c=665&userid=1030)?

StarLyte
10-03-2006, 20:50
Yeah. Branded on it's ass.

HA HA HA HA

Well I'm certainly NOT NORMAL.....and everyone knows this and I don't care.

I hate normal......mainstream.......makes me switch talk radio stations too much.......the only thing I even enjoy anymore is Car Talk.

I'll be hiking more next year. Won't hike as much as Blister-Redneck Rye or MS is, but I'll be hiking.

Who started this thread.....let me scroll back up there and see.........

Lone Wolf
10-03-2006, 20:59
just wondering. thanx.

Actually trail folks are mostly anal, goal oriented, educated, driven, cookie-cutter types. Highly predictable, not so so happy. Too much searching. It's right in front of you kids!:D

StarLyte
10-03-2006, 21:10
Actually trail folks are mostly anal, goal oriented, educated, driven, cookie-cutter types. Highly predictable, not so so happy. Too much searching. It's right in front of you kids!:D

You got that right LW.
Searching.
Blackstone thinks so too.

Lone Wolf
10-03-2006, 21:14
Have you spoken to GW? Gypsy is looking very forward to seeing you both. Me too.

StarLyte
10-03-2006, 21:18
Have you spoken to GW? Gypsy is looking very forward to seeing you both. Me too.

Clever.

Oh yes.

I will mention that you asked. I can't wait to see you both.

Road trip first, then pulling into camp a couple of days early.

I have so much stuff I don't know how I'm going to get it in my Jeep.

Lone Wolf
10-03-2006, 21:20
We LOVE GW. Who wouldn't? You too Marsha.:D

Sly
10-03-2006, 21:23

I'm none of those, especially since my chauffeur quit! :p

blindeye
10-03-2006, 21:33
i don't know if i'm weird or not, i love danish cheese but hate cheese danish. i think i need therapy!

Lone Wolf
10-03-2006, 21:35
I'm none of those, especially since my chauffeur quit! :p

I'm just only mostly highly unpredictable. Semper Fi!:cool:

TIDE-HSV
10-03-2006, 22:29
"weird" is being defined from the Philadelphia perspective. Since my first wife was from there, I'm inclined to regard the topic, poster and question as, well, "weird." "Weird" cannot really recognize "weird." It's sort of like the cat in the box, if you know any quantum mechanics - only there when you're observing it. Oh well, it's late...

Lone Wolf
10-03-2006, 22:31
You are christ.

Tinker
10-03-2006, 22:51
Most hikers are introverts, and, as such, have spent most of their (our) lives playing little games in their heads. When they get out on the trail, they feel free to let loose, and everyone else gets to see their inner self, which is usually goofy as heck, and all hiking gear-nerdy.;)

Tinker
10-03-2006, 22:55
What's abnormal about unicyclists (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=7511&c=665&userid=1030)?

Don't let SMOKY THE BEAR catch you doing that in the woods.:D

Lone Wolf
10-03-2006, 22:55
Yo Tinker. I'm coming to R.I. soon. We gotta get together. My family is from the Saunderstown area. I was bor and raised in R.I.

Lugnut
10-03-2006, 23:11
I used to own horses until the ex-wife took them. I used to ride a motorcycle until soccer mom's discovered SUV's. Hiking is my last refuge. I'm hoping nothing screws that up, but you never know. I keep the AT secret; too many people know about it already. ;)

Tinker
10-03-2006, 23:16
Yo Tinker. I'm coming to R.I. soon. We gotta get together. My family is from the Saunderstown area. I was bor and raised in R.I.

Mi casa es su casa. You can even use one of my hammocks in the backyard.

Saunderstown is a very nice area.

Gray Blazer
10-04-2006, 07:28
just wondering. thanx.

I'm not weird. I'm just like you!:D

K0OPG
10-04-2006, 08:13
From Websters Online:
1 : of, relating to, or caused by witchcraft or the supernatural : MAGICAL (http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/magical)
2 : of strange or extraordinary character : ODD (http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/odd), FANTASTIC (http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/fantastic)

Obviously the first definition doesn't apply to me. I don't know about others. However, isn't it "weird" that the second definition sways from one end of the spectrum to the other. You are looked upon as odd or you are fantastic.

I guess one has to be strange to hike and live in the woods but also have a extraordinary character to do so.

People look upon us as odd for seeking the "freedom" of the wilderness that they do not have nor do they have the extraordinary character to do so.

Now that's a ponderation (mine and my wife's word - something that makes you ponder):-?

JoeHiker
10-04-2006, 08:32
just wondering. thanx.

pot. kettle. black.

highway
10-04-2006, 09:17
Trail people aren't weird.

I'm not so sure about the rest, though:D

TOW
10-04-2006, 09:23
just wondering. thanx.

Because we are people who do not fall into line with what the whole of society thinks and does. We have found a channel through the love of the outdoors by walking through the woods to be able to release our souls to totally be recharged..............

Almost There
10-04-2006, 10:30

People need to blueblaze some more and not worry about the "rules" so much...isn't that why most of us "supposedly" are out there in the first place!

Just Jeff
10-04-2006, 10:35
pot. kettle. black.

Here's a ponderation. I said something about the pot and kettle once, and a black guy was offended....he said it was racist. I said, "It's not racist; what are you talking about?!" And that was it...we didn't discuss it any more. I certainly hadn't meant it in a racist way.

But I kept thinking about it until I figured out what he was trying to say. The pot and the kettle comment is based on a value judgment that being black is a bad thing. It doesn't make the same point if you say, "There's the cucumber calling the grape green." Or "There's the barn calling the tractor red." People only say black b/c the pot is acting like he's better than the kettle...and pretending that he's not black. Therefore, in the pot's eyes, it's bad to be black.

I don't think most people mean it as a racist statement, and I was surprised that he was offended by it. I can see his point, though. Words mean things. And the assumptions underlying common sayings reinforce certain attitudes in society w/o people even realizing it.

Just some food for thought. Brain food. A ponderation.

Enough psychobabble...back to our regularly scheduled "weird" programming.

blackbishop351
10-04-2006, 10:45
Wow....I'd honestly never thought of that. I've been called out on a lot of seemingly harmless statements, but never that one....."hello pot, this is kettle" is one of my favorites, too! :D

rtfi
10-04-2006, 11:04
http://www.goenglish.com/ThePotCallingTheKettleBlack.asp

“The pot and the kettle are like old friends who have turned black [from use over a flame] with time; the pot only sees the blackness which is on the kettle; he doesn't see the black on himself.”

So the blackness is simply an indication of age. The pot still thinks of itself as new.

Sly
10-04-2006, 11:10
Oh brother, some people are just too sensitive. I always thought, rightly so I believe, the kettle being black meant sooted, whereas the pot is also sooted. If soot were white, it would be "pot calling the kettle white". Would whites be offended?

Alligator
10-04-2006, 11:13
Oh brother, some people are just too sensitive. I always thought, rightly so I believe, the kettle being black meant sooted, whereas the pot is also sooted. If soot were white, it would be "pot calling the kettle white". Would whites be offended?Nose calling the straw white:D .

Just Jeff
10-04-2006, 11:15
Ah - that's another way of looking at it. I guess that would be more accepted in society since everyone gets old, regardless of race. Thanks for posting that.

Still something to keep in mind that others may be sensitive to it based on race.

Oh brother, some people are just too sensitive. I always thought, rightly so I believe, the kettle being black meant sooted, whereas the pot is also sooted. If soot were white, it would be "pot calling the kettle white". Would whites be offended?

Yep - some people are. He was pretty sensitive about a lot of other things, too. I think his point was (I'm putting words into his mouth here) that it wouldn't even be a phrase if soot were white.

julie
10-04-2006, 13:30
I just can't wait for an opportunity to say "Gee, that's like the cucumber calling the grape green!" So much better than the original.

My husband and I found a convenience store near us where you can buy live bait out of a vending machine on the porch. We just could not believe our eyes. Just like a Coke machine, only full of nightcrawlers. So the new saying in our house is "Aw, don't worry about him, he's as happy as a worm in a vending machine!"

RockyTrail
10-04-2006, 13:32
Well I'm certainly NOT NORMAL.....and everyone knows this and I don't care.
I hate normal......mainstream.......makes me switch talk radio stations too much.......the only thing I even enjoy anymore is Car Talk.

Speaking of daffynitions...ponderize on this one for a moment:

In mathematics, "normal" is defined as being at right angles to a plane or surface; similar to the way a flagpole points relative to the earth's surface.
Therefore, "NORMAL" actually means going in a direction away from the common crowd as much as possible....in other words, "WEIRD"...ha! :D

Amazing, isn't it?
I always thought it was backwards, but then I must be...weird!

Sly
10-04-2006, 13:50
I just can't wait for an opportunity to say "Gee, that's like the cucumber calling the grape green!" So much better than the original.

Clearly, that would be an affront to Martians! :D

Just Jeff
10-04-2006, 13:50
But that means everyone who can stand up straight is normal.

That makes sense - the ground in the city is often flat...stairs, elevators, etc - so you're always at a right angle to the ground. So you're normal.

But when you go into the woods, there's rarely level ground like that. So you're rarely normal.

Problem solved.

Just Jeff
10-04-2006, 13:52
Clearly, that would be an affront to Martians! :D

'Cept the only Martians I've seen were purple. But I'm sure there's something offensive about eggplants in there... :-?

Sly
10-04-2006, 13:59
'Cept the only Martians I've seen were purple.

You sure? I need to watch Mar's Attacks again!

Just Jeff
10-04-2006, 14:20
No, I mean real life Martians. Hollywood distorts everything.

Sly
10-04-2006, 15:06
No, I mean real life Martians. Hollywood distorts everything.

You're right. There's no way a Martian could inhale an entire nuclear explosion in one hit! :eek:

Once I saw that, I knew the attack was a fake! :mad:

Hammerhead
10-04-2006, 16:10
This thread is going to make me start smoking pot again. :cool:

StarLyte
10-04-2006, 16:29
I used to own horses until the ex-wife took them. I used to ride a motorcycle until soccer mom's discovered SUV's. Hiking is my last refuge. I'm hoping nothing screws that up, but you never know. I keep the AT secret; too many people know about it already. ;)

OMG Lugnut - you're right about the AT. I'm trying to keep it a secret myself. I think I'll take the AT stickers off my Jeep.......

Hiking and BEING with my hiker friends is my refuge.

I love you too LW & G. :sun

blackbishop351
10-04-2006, 19:07
Speaking of daffynitions...ponderize on this one for a moment:

In mathematics, "normal" is defined as being at right angles to a plane or surface; similar to the way a flagpole points relative to the earth's surface.
Therefore, "NORMAL" actually means going in a direction away from the common crowd as much as possible....in other words, "WEIRD"...ha! :D

Amazing, isn't it?
I always thought it was backwards, but then I must be...weird!

Mathematics is its own language. The reason some things seem "backwards" is that we have to then describe a purely mathematical concept in English - much in the same way that concepts in other foreign languages don't translate well.

As analytic geometry began to grow as a study, there needed to be a way to define a "direction" associated with a point on a surface. The normal vector is the only way I can think of to do this - uniquely, anyway. And apparently much smarter guys than I am couldn't come up with anything better, either! :D

blackbishop351
10-04-2006, 19:08
And just to contribute something to the thread, I'm weird. VERY weird. I'm so weird that I periodically just stop in the middle of whatever I'm doing and say to myself, "Damn....I'm really weird..." :D

Gecko
10-04-2006, 19:17
And just to contribute something to the thread, I'm weird. VERY weird. I'm so weird that I periodically just stop in the middle of whatever I'm doing and say to myself, "Damn....I'm really weird..." :D

Wow. That happens to me too. Only I leave out the 'damn' because I'm not supposed to swear at my house.
Weird and proud.

mweinstone
10-04-2006, 19:18
hillery is sexy or isnt? im lost.

by weird i mean what lone wolf said. the anal, so and so who likes soething or other. what he said. us. the face in the mirror. the inspector gadgets and selfys and the weirdys and the knowitallys, and you know,... what lw said.

Just Jeff
10-04-2006, 20:12
Whatever the definition, I'm pretty sure you qualify. :D

ASUGrad
10-05-2006, 11:14
In today's self-absorbed, entertainment-driven, shock and awe world, we tend to look at people who aren't like this world as "strange". Why spend $600 on camping equipment just to "suffer" when you can buy a recliner? Why spend a week in the wilderness when you can watch it on a 50" TV?

Our world today is fixated on surpressing our desire to "wander". The world says that it is worthless to test yourself. The world thinks we are exploring a world that has already been seen. But we know we are exploring ourselves.

Psa 66:10-11 GNB
(10) You have put us to the test, God; as silver is purified by fire, so you have tested us.
(11) You let us fall into a trap and placed heavy burdens on our backs.

RockyTrail
10-05-2006, 11:25
In today's self-absorbed, entertainment-driven, shock and awe world, we tend to look at people who aren't like this world as "strange". Why spend $600 on camping equipment just to "suffer" when you can buy a recliner? Why spend a week in the wilderness when you can watch it on a 50" TV?

Your post kinda reminds me of that fellow that used to be on this board; he couldn't decide whether to hike the AT or eat gourmet pizza in front of his 121" plasma TV (sic).

The pizza won.

Creek Dancer
10-05-2006, 11:30

Our world today is fixated on surpressing our desire to "wander". The world says that it is worthless to test yourself. The world thinks we are exploring a world that has already been seen. But we know we are exploring ourselves.

Psa 66:10-11 GNB
(10) You have put us to the test, God; as silver is purified by fire, so you have tested us.
(11) You let us fall into a trap and placed heavy burdens on our backs.

Great post!! I think I will print that out and have it ready to hand to the next person who thinks I am strange for doing what I do.

emerald
10-05-2006, 13:59
The world thinks we are exploring a world that has already been seen. But we know we are exploring ourselves.

I see I'm not the only person who liked and could appreciate at least portions of your post.

I think the people who talk about "hiking too fast" could inform themselves by reading your post and reflecting upon it. Hiking the A.T. for some people may be more about about exploring themselves than it is about exploring the world in which we live.

I would also add many are the times a scientist has dicovered something new by exploring a world that's already been seen. Often, it just takes looking at the same things in a different way. Probably the entire world has been seen at least once by someone at some point, but it is constantly changing too and so is that which we value.

coldspring
10-05-2006, 22:55
I am a little unusual, and I happen to be a member of the Odd Fellows, but I don't think I'm very weird.

I just like the fact that the trees don't look at me or criticize me. I get so tired about putting on a face and worrying about how I act in public, even around other hikers. When I'm in the woods, by myself, I'm just me. The worse thing is that my internal conversations are usually more interesting than those with others.

I also like the exercise. It's pretty simple. I don't like walking circles around a track or going down a sidewalk, I like to go for miles from one point to the next, on a natural surface with scenery. That is the only way I can motivate myself to get the exercise. I think people who can go to a nasty gym and lift that same old weight, ride that stationary bike, and get on a treadmill going nowhere are the really weird freaks!

Krewzer
10-05-2006, 22:58
Wandering
In
Earth's
Roadless
Dimensions

peanuts
10-06-2006, 00:21
Krewzer, that will make a great t-shirt!!!!!but its spelled wrong..:D

Just Jeff
10-06-2006, 00:24
All the wierder...

Why is weird spelled so weird? ("i" before "e" except after "c"...and in weird)

LostInSpace
10-06-2006, 00:57
All the wierder...

Why is weird spelled so weird? ("i" before "e" except after "c"...and in weird)

"except when pronounced as 'a' as in neighbor and weigh" ... and as in weird when you have the Appalachian twang! :D I was born in Pikeville, KY, and have been trying to get rid of it ever since.

Gaiter
10-06-2006, 02:58
Wondering
Earths
Infinite
Roadless
Dimensions

Would that work? Let me know when the t-shirts are ready, i'll buy one!

I'm glad i'm weird, and hiking helps me know the weird me even better. But really when am i ever around 'normal' people. I don't know if i know any 'normal' people and I would like to keep it that way, I really can't stand predictable people like those who will always bitch about something. Be weird, give a compliment to someone (that should be a bumper sticker) It bothers me when people are suprised by someone doing a good dead to help another person out, thats not a thing to be suprised about, it should be 'normal' and look at me i'm bitching about people who always bitch, maybe i am 'normal' and just don't know it yet. yeah i completely went on a tangent. oh well.

Weird and proud of it:
Hanna

bfitz
10-06-2006, 03:32
Wandering
Eternally
In
Random
Directions

Ramble~On
10-06-2006, 04:45
:-?
Where
Every
Insane
Redneck
Drinks

:-? Hints
1) "Jewel of the Susquehana"
2) Ready to "Rock"
3) "Rock" on tap

Jaybird
10-06-2006, 06:31

"NORMAL" is just a setting on a DRYER!

i'm proud to be part of the WEIRD group if it includes:

motorcycle riders, cyclists & hikers!
wooooooooooo-hoooooooooooo!:D

p.s. i can see L.W. riding down the streets of Damascus on a horse!

Lone Wolf
10-06-2006, 06:41
Horses suck. I'd rather eat one than ride one.

Krewzer
10-06-2006, 08:27
Krewzer, that will make a great t-shirt!!!!!but its spelled wrong..:D

D****! A sixth grade education just doesn't go far enough these days.

Krewzer
10-06-2006, 09:05
Wondering
Earths
Infinite
Roadless
Dimensions
Would that work? Let me know when the t-shirts are ready, i'll buy one!
Weird and proud of it:
Hanna

That'll work. If they're not stoned again, I'll check with the really weird art people.

RockyTrail
10-06-2006, 09:33
LostInSpace... and as in weird when you have the Appalachian twang! :D I was born in Pikeville, KY, and have been trying to get rid of it ever since.

Now THAT's normal to me, everybody else is weird! :D ha ha
And "Appalachian" is pronounced "appa-latch-un", like a door latch!:)
Sorry, it's my scots-irish heritage showing through.

By the way, did you know the Three Wise Men were actually volunteer firemen? The Bible says they "came from afar" hee hee
That one I don't do...

The Weasel
10-06-2006, 10:13
Why Expect Intelligent Responses, Dude?

kyhipo
10-06-2006, 11:55
whats the discription for weird:-? hiker with pack walking mountians.:D ky

Just Jeff
10-06-2006, 12:27

Horse is a pretty common dish in Europe. I tried some in Italy - figured out how to say it in my best (barely understandable) Italian, was all proud when I ordered it, and then the waiter said to me in English, "You know that's horse, right?" At least he was looking out for me.

Tasted just like cow, only leaner.

Gaiter
10-06-2006, 13:07
That'll work. If they're not stoned again, I'll check with the really weird art people.

Luckly I'm one of those weird art people and now that i'm sober i still think it sounds good. When i said that i'm never around 'normal' people i should have just said i go to an arts school and no not liberal arts, literally an arts school. A quick advertisement: anyone in nc should check it out if they are ever in the wintson-salem area, e-mail me i can usually get a free ticket for shows www.ncarts.edu

Why Expect Intelligent Responses, Dude?

I find most weird people to be extremely intelligent but there are the extremely dumb ones too (i won't argue w/ that)

The Weasel
10-06-2006, 13:22
Red........I think I'm laughing. As I said.....

Why
Expect
Intelligent
Responses,
Dude?

Possibly, you misunderstood because...

We Erroneously Intended Rational Discourse.

The Weasel

Wanderingson
10-06-2006, 13:44
What's abnormal about unicyclists (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=7511&c=665&userid=1030)?

Only YOU can prevent forest fires.

RockyTrail
10-06-2006, 16:26
Whatever's
Expected
I
Respond
Differently

The Weasel
10-06-2006, 16:28
Whatever's
Expected
I
Respond
Differently

Which Explains It Really Deftly.

Gaiter
10-06-2006, 17:01
Red........I think I'm laughing. As I said.....

Why
Expect
Intelligent
Responses,
Dude?

Possibly, you misunderstood because...

We Erroneously Intended Rational Discourse.

The Weasel
I followed you on the weird thing. Yes laugh, I wasn't being mean, I'm just stating that intelligent people at least in my experience have been weird. I don't know if i'm making sense, alot times things make sense in my head but not when I say them, if that makes any sense. but then again what does your question actually have to do with the intelligence of people, smart and dump people all have un-intelligent answers for questions. I think i'll stop typing before I confuse myself and others any more.:confused:

Hanna

PS Feel free to laugh at me, because I'm doing the same thing right now!:)

mweinstone
10-06-2006, 17:11
i just asume horses dont wanna be ridden. its sick to make a animal slave for you. get a frick in bike. and then theres the fact that chicks that love horses too much are frickin scary weird. what with the boots and the wip and the flavin!

Krewzer
10-06-2006, 17:13
The basic principle behind the Weirding Way is that, as Farad'n Corrino says, "My mind affects my reality." A user of the Weirding Way has to know that the action they 'want' to perform has already been. For example, to imagine oneself behind an opponent at the current moment in time—when trained well, this knowledge will place you at the spot you wish.
"Dune, 1965, Frank Herbert"

Now that is weird!!!

TIDE-HSV
10-06-2006, 21:36
This reminds me of origin of consciousness in the breakdown of the bicameral mind (Julian Jaynes). 95% of what we do, we do unconsciouslessly. Think about when you got up this AM. Did you decide, or was the decision made for you by your speechless twin dwelling in your head? Do you remember each moment of your drive home from work? Or did your unconscious twin do it for you - until brake lights came on in front of you, and that flashlight that is consciousness had to click on and penetrate the darkness - "Oops, better wake up!" Likewise, when someone says "Imagine yourself walking along a trail, your conscious assumes the post of observer, above and behind, rather than looking through faux eyes. The really weird people are those who are aware that they carry around in their heads a mute, criticizing cranial twin... Now, how weird is that? ;)

saimyoji
10-06-2006, 23:11
Horse is a pretty common dish in Europe. I tried some in Italy - figured out how to say it in my best (barely understandable) Italian, was all proud when I ordered it, and then the waiter said to me in English, "You know that's horse, right?" At least he was looking out for me.

Tasted just like cow, only leaner.

If ever in Japan, order basashi. Its horse sashimi, ice cold thinly sliced raw horse meat. Its delicious. Or order bakasashi. Same horse sashimi with some deer sashimi. A true delite.

Lugnut
10-06-2006, 23:21
If ever in Japan, order basashi. Its horse sashimi, ice cold thinly sliced raw horse meat. Its delicious. Or order bakasashi. Same horse sashimi with some deer sashimi. A true delite.

I think eating this would surely qualify one as being weird. ;)

mambo_tango
10-11-2006, 21:34
Normal people scare me.

I used to have a bumpersticker on my old car that said that.

mambo_tango
10-11-2006, 21:35

I will tell my boyfriend when he goes next summer.

bfitz
10-12-2006, 00:26
This reminds me of origin of consciousness in the breakdown of the bicameral mind (Julian Jaynes). 95% of what we do, we do unconsciouslessly. Think about when you got up this AM. Did you decide, or was the decision made for you by your speechless twin dwelling in your head? Do you remember each moment of your drive home from work? Or did your unconscious twin do it for you - until brake lights came on in front of you, and that flashlight that is consciousness had to click on and penetrate the darkness - "Oops, better wake up!" Likewise, when someone says "Imagine yourself walking along a trail, your conscious assumes the post of observer, above and behind, rather than looking through faux eyes. The really weird people are those who are aware that they carry around in their heads a mute, criticizing cranial twin... Now, how weird is that? ;)
Odd reference....Have you read "Snow Crash" by Neal Stephenson? A sci-fi novel using Jayne's ideas as a plot gimmick...

LEGS
10-12-2006, 00:53
Damn I'm Laughin To Hard To Reply, Maybe Later ! Roflmaf! Damn Guys!!! That Was Great! Thanks I Think!!!

LEGS
10-12-2006, 01:02
Roflmao! Damn!

lbbrown
10-12-2006, 20:25
LW won't ride a horse but he loves to ride that HOG!

strnorm
10-12-2006, 20:51
just wondering. thanx.
I rode motorcycles for 25 years,Harley,s only, daytona, sturgis etc. went from biker to hiker, some of the best friends i have are bikers and hikers. great people who will stand by you.

TIDE-HSV
10-13-2006, 11:35
I haven't, but I'll look for it. I was just making the point that consciousness itself is pretty "weird."

RockyTrail
10-13-2006, 14:18

Very interesting, Tide.
In a similar vein, you can imagine yourself as a small heavy-equipment operator within your head, controlling your somewhat-autonomous body. Imagine driving a giant, 200 foot high Caterpillar tractor from inside a control cabin. The view out of the eyeball windows is spectacular. You command the machine (by pulling various control levers in your head) to "climb this trail," and suddenly you see red alarm lights flashing from various tendon sensors, warning horns blaring, and the blood pressure steam gauge pegs itself at maximum...and then you say, "Dang, I really need to get in better shape next time" and the poor body is trying to comply but is unable...now is that weird or what? Whoops, an o-ring just blew on the #3 hamstring actuator shut that baby down, NOW!:)

Jules Verne would have been proud:D

Just Jeff
10-13-2006, 14:36
At least it was just the #3 hamstring actuator...

bfitz
10-18-2006, 21:44
I haven't, but I'll look for it. I was just making the point that consciousness itself is pretty "weird."
Yup. Monkeys clinging to rocks flying through space...and we can talk to eachother!!! Life would be so friggen empty and boring without conversations!

bfitz
10-18-2006, 21:45
I just can't wait till we have a conversation with the Aliens.

TIDE-HSV
10-19-2006, 00:06
the interesting thing, simplifying back to the walking the trail bit, is that, after putting the proposition to someone to imagine themselves walking through the woods, and they assume the spectator position above and behind, if you ask the further question "what do you see?" - Wham! Suddenly, you're looking out through the eyeballs of the avatar. Part of Jaynes' theory is that we used to listen to our unconscious, but we regarded it as outside, a voice of the gods, say like in Ezekiel. And, rather than having consciousness, which he likens to a flashlight in a darkened room, we obeyed the voice of the unconscious without question. I know that, once I became, well, "conscious" of the power of my unconscious, I've played games with it. I know that I can't maintain consciousness all the way home on my commute. Somewhere along the way, my conscious mind will wander and my unconscious will take over the chore of looking for red brake lights ahead. If you doubt me, tomorrow, when you get home, write down a narrative of what happened and every detail you saw on your drive home. What's interesting is to try to make a really conscious decision that "I'm going to get out of bed NOW!" This is as opposed to finding your feet on the floor - without a conscious decision. Folks who don't understand the degree to which their unconscious rules the roost, well, they're more "unconscious" than most.:) I invite you to explore some real, every day weirdness...

the goat
10-19-2006, 10:05
the interesting thing, simplifying back to the walking the trail bit, is that, after putting the proposition to someone to imagine themselves walking through the woods, and they assume the spectator position above and behind, if you ask the further question "what do you see?" - Wham! Suddenly, you're looking out through the eyeballs of the avatar. Part of Jaynes' theory is that we used to listen to our unconscious, but we regarded it as outside, a voice of the gods, say like in Ezekiel. And, rather than having consciousness, which he likens to a flashlight in a darkened room, we obeyed the voice of the unconscious without question. I know that, once I became, well, "conscious" of the power of my unconscious, I've played games with it. I know that I can't maintain consciousness all the way home on my commute. Somewhere along the way, my conscious mind will wander and my unconscious will take over the chore of looking for red brake lights ahead. If you doubt me, tomorrow, when you get home, write down a narrative of what happened and every detail you saw on your drive home. What's interesting is to try to make a really conscious decision that "I'm going to get out of bed NOW!" This is as opposed to finding your feet on the floor - without a conscious decision. Folks who don't understand the degree to which their unconscious rules the roost, well, they're more "unconscious" than most.:) I invite you to explore some real, every day weirdness...

great post TIDE! i agree the unconscious does much, much more than most are willing to give it credit for.

Just Jeff
10-19-2006, 11:06
...after putting the proposition to someone to imagine themselves walking through the woods, and they assume the spectator position above and behind...

I must really be wierd, then - whenever I think of myself in the woods, I'm seeing and hearing through my own eyes and ears. I guess it's on purpose, though - I consciously make myself see it that way, maybe?

Funny though - when I think of myself in other situations it's often just as you describe.

hopefulhiker
10-19-2006, 11:15
I have decided that "Real regular life" is weird.. Not the trail and not the trail people.. At the Gathering, I met a lot of people with similar feelings. Real life is a myth, they said.. Sometimes when I see people in bumper to bumper traffic, waiting for hours sometimes, going through this so they can make the car payment on their car so that they have something to sit in in bumper to bumper traffic.. I wonder who really is weird?

bfitz
10-20-2006, 01:05
I have decided that "Real regular life" is weird.. Not the trail and not the trail people.. At the Gathering, I met a lot of people with similar feelings. Real life is a myth, they said.. Sometimes when I see people in bumper to bumper traffic, waiting for hours sometimes, going through this so they can make the car payment on their car so that they have something to sit in in bumper to bumper traffic.. I wonder who really is weird?
Well, we found our point of agreement hopeful.:eek: There is indded a deeper reality.:sun

Krewzer
10-20-2006, 09:10
Somewhere along the way, my conscious mind will wander and my unconscious will take over the chore of looking for red brake lights ahead.

This is why I never drink Vodka.:p

TIDE-HSV
10-20-2006, 11:36
but you will bum brandy...;)

bfitz
10-20-2006, 14:36
Who's Brandy?

TIDE-HSV
10-20-2006, 17:10
you're thinking of "Brandi."

Spock
10-20-2006, 21:26
Mankind
The dreamer
Dreams his dreams
But never wide awake
Lives out his dreams
Into what seems
To be the light
Of Day

hacksaw
10-24-2006, 05:16
Whaddya mean Cooties? No Cooties on me!

mweinstone
10-24-2006, 15:01
question: why are all responses to why are all hiker people weird, weird?

Gaiter
10-24-2006, 16:29
question: why are all responses to why are all hiker people weird, weird?

what did you expect?

Heater
10-24-2006, 16:33
Whaddya mean Cooties? No Cooties on me!

I am glad you stopped on that line of the song. ;)

Red Hat
10-28-2006, 18:04
Well, I was weird even before I started hiking the trail. Since I haven't finished, I'm still weird. I'll probably be weird till the day the Lord takes me home. Sure wouldn't want to be boring! I can't speak for the rest of you though.

Brrrb Oregon
10-28-2006, 18:39
Trail people aren't average because the average person doesn't like to walk very far just for the sake of walking, or at least, they don't think they do. This is a statistical truth.

As for "weird", though, that implies not normal. Not normal implies deviation from a norm or standard. If your standard is to conform with what is average, though, I would be so bold as to say it isn't much of a standard.

If your standard is that everyone needs to measure up to mweinstein....well, I think you expect too much. Lighten up, not everybody can be as good as you are. If you are going to reach your own potential, your standards for yourself should take that into account.

Lugnut
10-29-2006, 01:15
Trail people aren't average because the average person doesn't like to walk very far just for the sake of walking, or at least, they don't think they do. This is a statistical truth.

As for "weird", though, that implies not normal. Not normal implies deviation from a norm or standard. If your standard is to conform with what is average, though, I would be so bold as to say it isn't much of a standard.

If your standard is that everyone needs to measure up to mweinstein....well, I think you expect too much. Lighten up, not everybody can be as good as you are. If you are going to reach your own potential, your standards for yourself should take that into account.

....Huh? :-?

Gaiter
10-29-2006, 11:02

I was called weird last week because I always walk accross campus (a small campus) instead of driving accross campus to get to my next class.(10min.s btn classes) I explained by the time you got in your car, started it up and drove accros campus, then parked it would all take the same amount of time if not more, next she asked me if the parking there was bad, and i said 'no, i just prefer to walk' and then i was called weird!!!

Just Jeff
10-29-2006, 11:47
My in-laws think I'm weird b/c I don't drive around looking for the closest parking spot. I start at the front and drive through once, twice if I'm feeling lazy, and if there's nothing there I just take the first one I come to. Sometimes it's - GASP - an extra four spaces that I walk. I figure I'm in good enough shape to walk an extra 25' to get into the store.

But folks who spend 15 minutes looking for the best parking spot often don't think twice about walking to the other end of the mall if there's a sale! :D

Jester2000
10-29-2006, 11:56
One of the beliefs I've tried to live by is this:

You should be the weirdest person somebody knows. Just don't be the weirdest person everybody knows.

Lugnut
10-29-2006, 14:01
One of the beliefs I've tried to live by is this:

You should be the weirdest person somebody knows. Just don't be the weirdest person everybody knows.

How's that workin' out for you? ;)

Jester2000
10-29-2006, 15:09
Um, I ended up being the weirdest person everybody knows.

Right up until Minnesota Smith appeared.

Pokey2006
10-29-2006, 15:13
Just like there's always someone who hikes faster then you, and someone who hikes slower, there is always someone out there weirder then you.

neo
10-29-2006, 16:10
[quote=Pokey2006;262852]Just like there's always someone who hikes faster then you, and someone who hikes slower, there is always someone out there weirder then you.[/quote

:) your the coolest hiker babe on white blaze sweetie:cool: neo

Pokey2006
10-29-2006, 16:15
I wouldn't be cool if I wasn't just a little bit weird!

And there's always someone cooler out there....and weirder....I hope....

neo
10-29-2006, 16:23
I wouldn't be cool if I wasn't just a little bit weird!

And there's always someone cooler out there....and weirder....I hope....
:) any way you the hottest hiker babe on whiteblaze:cool: neo

Pokey2006
10-29-2006, 16:29
You only think that because you're just as weird as all the other trail people.
:)

Pokey2006
10-29-2006, 16:29
If not WEIRDER!

Brrrb Oregon
10-29-2006, 19:00
....Huh? :-?

I get that response a lot. I guess that's what makes me weird. :rolleyes:

1) According to their definitions, average means being right in the middle of the spectrum, while normal means meeting the expected standard. In terms of being willing to get of one's behind in order to move, today's spectrum has the average way off from the norm....in my book.

Weird means not normal, rather than not average. Therefore, IMHO, being willing to get out and walk does not make a person weird. In my book, and I make the assumption that the trait of getting out and other personal traits kind of go together, it makes the people on the trail normal.

2) Nevertheless, the OP may have meant "weird" in the sense that they violate some standard other than being in the middle of the spectrum. He may mean that they violate every unspoken code that makes him the man he is. I'm just saying that he may not be very realistic about how many people can meet his very high standards.

(Or did you mean "huh?" because I used "high standards" to describe mweinstein? Good heavens, man, don't you know when someone is pulling your leg?;) )

TIDE-HSV
10-29-2006, 20:33
my weirdness so thoroughly that I've hesitated to post again in this thread...:)

Lugnut
10-29-2006, 23:12
I get that response a lot. I guess that's what makes me weird. :rolleyes:

1) According to their definitions, average means being right in the middle of the spectrum, while normal means meeting the expected standard. In terms of being willing to get of one's behind in order to move, today's spectrum has the average way off from the norm....in my book.

Weird means not normal, rather than not average. Therefore, IMHO, being willing to get out and walk does not make a person weird. In my book, and I make the assumption that the trait of getting out and other personal traits kind of go together, it makes the people on the trail normal.

2) Nevertheless, the OP may have meant "weird" in the sense that they violate some standard other than being in the middle of the spectrum. He may mean that they violate every unspoken code that makes him the man he is. I'm just saying that he may not be very realistic about how many people can meet his very high standards.

(Or did you mean "huh?" because I used "high standards" to describe mweinstein? Good heavens, man, don't you know when someone is pulling your leg?;) )

Has anyone ever stopped to think that half the people they know are below average? :banana

LostInSpace
10-29-2006, 23:25
Weird means outside the two standard deviations interval?

Just Jeff
10-29-2006, 23:56
No, weird means one standard deviation from normal. Flat-out whacko is two SDs. Anyone who hikes 2170 miles is well beyond that.

bfitz
10-30-2006, 01:01
Um, I ended up being the weirdest person everybody knows.

Right up until Minnesota Smith appeared.
They just don't know you well enough, then.

kyhipo
10-30-2006, 08:19
I am not weird your the weird ones:banana :D ky

Alligator
10-30-2006, 12:40
No, weird means one standard deviation from normal. Flat-out whacko is two SDs. Anyone who hikes 2170 miles is well beyond that.About 68% of the pop. lies within 1 sd on a normal curve and ~95% lies within 2 s.d. I'd recommend starting at 2 sd . That's just my +3 advice though:jump.

Brrrb Oregon
10-30-2006, 15:13

Obviously, the question would be about mweinstein, whoever that is.

Nobody would say "huh?" about the obviously superlative nature of mweinstone.

(And he's humble, too, which is why he never uses caps.)

TIDE-HSV
10-30-2006, 23:37
Do two standard deviates in the same shelter cancel each other out?

Just Jeff
10-30-2006, 23:57
Sometimes. Other times they just bring out the non-standard deviates.

longshank
10-31-2006, 10:27
just wondering. thanx.
Are you including yourself as a "weird" trail person? I know that I would(include you).

longshank
10-31-2006, 10:29
Gimmie a break.