PDA

View Full Version : Hiker Rescued

strnorm
10-03-2006, 20:14
A man from NC. was found at 8pm yesterday after he was trying to hike from carvers gap to rt.19e, 13.7 miles,found by carter county rescue squad another reason when i go out i carry blanket and tarp and food for at least two days,never know, he had made it to doll flats,temp was 38degs. be prepared.:eek:

Skidsteer
10-03-2006, 20:16
A man from NC. was found at 8pm yesterday after he was trying to hike from carvers gap to rt.19e, 13.7 miles,found by carter county rescue squad another reason when i go out i carry blanket and tarp and food for at least two days,never know, he had made it to doll flats,temp was 38degs. be prepared.:eek:

Do you have a link to the story?

strnorm
10-03-2006, 20:32
It was in todays paper kingsport times news

bigcranky
10-03-2006, 21:27
I can't find the story in their online edition.

By the time you get to Doll Flats northbound, it's all down hill. The tough part is behind you, and it's only 4 or 5 miles down to 19-E if I recall correctly. I wonder how long he had been waiting there for rescue, and just how prepared he was.

bigcranky
10-03-2006, 21:30
OPK, I found it buried in the local briefs:

http://tinyurl.com/knsv9

Not sure how long the link will work.

Topcat
10-03-2006, 21:54
Well, the good thing is that he told someone where he was and when he expected to be back, He should have been prepared for the conditions, though.

Newb
10-03-2006, 21:58
Wow. so much of this story is unreported. What was he carrying? How well prepared? Was he in poor or good physical condition? Personally, for 13.6 miles I'd have at least a couple of liters of water, food for a day, weather gear and a tarp just in case I needed shelter or a wrap. About 5 to 8 pounds of gear.

K0OPG
10-04-2006, 08:46
No, I think the story was great.

Expecially the last amazing statement "he was cold". Well, duh?

SawnieRobertson
10-04-2006, 14:47
Unless he had lost the trail or absolutely could not see in the dark, it is too bad that he didn't keep moving. Standing still (which it sounds as though he was doing) is suicidal or at least terribly chilling.

highway
10-04-2006, 15:05
38-40 degrees F is not so cold. Many of us have hiked in colder weather than that in shorts. How can he get confused following the AT. It is so well marked a map is superfluous for most. He must have been somewhat challenged, as well as confused

Just Jeff
10-04-2006, 18:31
Standing still (which it sounds as though he was doing) is suicidal or at least terribly chilling.

Chilling, yes. But if you're lost, and you're not positive you know the way back to an identifiable location, staying put is the best thing to do b/c the rescue crews can track a stationary person better than someone roaming around in the woods. And since this guy told someone where he was, he had a good reason to believe crews would be looking for him shortly.

Basic training for kids hiking in the woods - hug a tree if you're lost. Don't move unless there's danger.

But I take your point that standing still can make you hypothermic. Maybe he did some jumping jacks or something?

Lone Wolf
10-04-2006, 20:02
That area is fairly well populated in any direction. He shoulda kept walking.

Just Jeff
10-04-2006, 20:10
Assuming he knew how well populated it was. As a general rule, people lost in the woods should stay put if they can reasonably expect a rescue crew.