PDA

View Full Version : Trail heads and shuttles

flagator
10-03-2006, 21:32
hey all. I'm planning to do a 4 day section hike thanksgiving weekend. I live in Jacksonville, FL, so its about a 6 hour ride for me. Anyway I figure I can do at the very least 15 miles a day, So what is the best trail head around 60-70 miles north of Springer? Maybe there is a section on the website that easily posts this. but anyway I have been told its easiest to park your car fist, than take a shuttle back to amicalola, and hike back to my car, that way Im not worried about time. But I'm concerned about my car getting broke into. Is there a trailhead around where i mentioned that is very close to a ranger station or something? and do they charge you for parking. Also what should I expect to pay and what is considered a decent tip for a shuttle going about 70 miles. thank you!

flagator
10-03-2006, 21:35
and wow i just discovered there is a section for EXACTLY THIS lol, I would still appreciate some help though. Thanks

max patch
10-03-2006, 21:44
If you are worried about your car then part at Amicalola State Park and hike south. Adds 8 miles to your distance from Springer. You could start your hike at Unicoi Gap (59 miles) or Addis Gap (69 miles). Shuttle to Unicoi would be easier and cheaper. Don't know about the shuttle cost. Parking a ASP is VERY safe and will cost $3.

flagator
10-03-2006, 21:58
but does ASP, and most parks for that matter allow long period parking??

peanuts
10-04-2006, 07:46
flagator, at ASP you can leave your car for a whole thru-hike!!!!

max patch
10-04-2006, 09:20
Peanuts is correct; and the $3 fee is good for 6 months IIRC!

Grunt
10-04-2006, 10:32
Good luck! We just used the shuttle service I'll list below. We drove 500+ miles and spent the night in their "cabin?" (15 bucks) and the next morning they drove us 1 1/2 hours to a parking area that is just .9 miles North of Springer. We left our car at their house and when we got to Dick's Creek (67 miles), we called them and they came and go us (almost). One of the ladies mother had passed while we were hiking so I ended up hitch-hiking to their house to get my vehicle...no problem. Any way here is their email address and even at age 21 doing this in four days really makes me feel old. [email protected]

tiamalle
10-04-2006, 16:53
If you are worried about your car then part at Amicalola State Park and hike south. Adds 8 miles to your distance from Springer. You could start your hike at Unicoi Gap (59 miles) or Addis Gap (69 miles). Shuttle to Unicoi would be easier and cheaper. Don't know about the shuttle cost. Parking a ASP is VERY safe and will cost $3.Great suggestion http://appalachiantrailservices.com/index.php?env=-inlink/index:m18-1-1-1-s click on any trail crossing and then click on shuttles for a list in these areas.