PDA

View Full Version : new on AT

divot
10-03-2006, 22:38
Was wondering, We are planning a trip from Springer Mountain in GA. to Neels Gap. This I'm finding out is approximately 31 miles. We have 3 days to do it. Does this seem reasonable for new hikers?

Lone Wolf
10-03-2006, 22:40
Very reasonable. Take your time, carry a little extra. Go slow. Have fun.:)

Skidsteer
10-03-2006, 22:43
Was wondering, We are planning a trip from Springer Mountain in GA. to Neels Gap. This I'm finding out is approximately 31 miles. We have 3 days to do it. Does this seem reasonable for new hikers?

:welcome to WB divot.

Yes it's reasonable.

When are you planning your trip?

Tinker
10-03-2006, 22:47
:welcome The hardest part of Georgia is the approach trail (maybe because you start it cold, unless you've trained for the trail). If you're not doing it, the rest is relatively easy (unless you haven't hiked that far in three days before- or in the mountains).

hikerjohnd
10-03-2006, 23:38
Very doable - but Tinker is right on about the approach trail. Take your time - and if you need it, you can get a lift at Woody Gap to the Hiker Hostel.

Tinker
10-03-2006, 23:42
:welcome The hardest part of Georgia is the approach trail (maybe because you start it cold, unless you've trained for the trail). If you're not doing it, the rest is relatively easy (unless you haven't hiked that far in three days before- or in the mountains).

Here are a few pictures from this spring's Georgia section hike:

http://www.webshots.com/search?query=tinker+and+frosty&new=1&source=search_results_top

Grunt
10-04-2006, 10:16
I love all the advice for "doable", which it is. However, my hiking "bud" and I just made that hump and it took us four day. Now, by the time we reached Springer and actually starting North it was close to 11:30 am, and honestly (together we are 115 years old). We also used a shuttle service to take us to a parking area .9 miles N. or Springer: I spoke with many who will confess that the approach trail for the State Park will flat wear you out. I found the first two days to be "extremely" tough. Make Hawk Mtn shelter the first night, but the second day going up Sasssfras Mtn was a killer. We wanted to make Gooch Shelter but were worn out by 3 PM (we both work-out) and instead camped along Justis Creek. The hike to Woody's Gap was a joy after the first two days and hiked about seven hours before we make camp along another stream just below Dockery Lake Trail???? Sometimes I'm not sure where we were; some signs are missing, or unreadable?? Left early the forth morning and made the hump up and up and up to Blood Mtn and down and down and down to Neel's Gap within about five hours and that was with a good lunch break on top. Now, if I broke camp a little earlier and maybe humped a little longer each day I could do it in three days. You mentioned you were new at this and this was also my first AT hump. Weather, age, condition has everything to do with it.....know yourself and what you can do.
Good Luck

Ewker
10-04-2006, 11:57
nice to read that the approach trail is a butt kicker since I will be doing it this weekend

stumpy
10-04-2006, 13:30
Ewkwer,

I live in Old hickory as well. Do you live in the village?

Ewker
10-04-2006, 13:35
close by, PM sent

bigben
10-04-2006, 14:02
I did it in 5 days, but could have done it in 3. Day 1: Approach Trail to Springer. Day 2: Springer to Hawk. Day 3: Hawk to Gooch. Day 4: Gooch to Slaughter Creek campsites. Day 5: end at Neel's Gap. The Approach was not as tough as I thought it would be, but I was tired on top of Springer. But, if I would have just rested an hour, I could have easily made it to Stover Creek shelter or the Justus Creek campsites in one day. Justus Creek to Gooch would be a buttkicker 2nd day, but doable. Gooch to Neel's Gap would be a 15 1/2 mile tough 3rd day. But I was on vacation, and vacations are supposed to be fun and I was not in any big hurry, so I took my time and don't regret it.

Blissful
10-04-2006, 16:44
So I guess Approach to Stover Creek isn't a good idea for the first day out if we start by 7 AM? I think it's downhill from Springer according to my map. Just want to get away from the crowds at Springer Mtn shelter and make the time we need to complete to Fontana Dam in roughly two weeks. Anyone know the total ft climbing of that first day?

Kerosene
10-04-2006, 17:02
You shouldn't have any problems doing it in 3 days, assuming you're in somewhat reasonable shape, your packs aren't overly heavy, and you have enough daylight to hike 10 miles per day.

Starting from Springer, you'd probably look to camp somewhere past Hawk Mountain Shelter (Sassafras Mountain, I think?), maybe a mile before Woody Gap (Ramrock Mountain) or after, and roll into Neels Gap on the afternoon of Day 3. Personally I found Georgia to be surprisingly easy, but we had nice, cool weather for hiking. The ascent of Blood Mountain increased the heart rate a bit, but that's the type of climb (and descent) that's typical of the AT.

Have a great time.

Skidsteer
10-04-2006, 17:20
So I guess Approach to Stover Creek isn't a good idea for the first day out if we start by 7 AM? I think it's downhill from Springer according to my map. Just want to get away from the crowds at Springer Mtn shelter and make the time we need to complete to Fontana Dam in roughly two weeks. Anyone know the total ft climbing of that first day?

From the Welcome center to Springer Mtn. you'll 'net' 2025 feet of elevation. Like the rest of the A.T., however, the approach is not a gradual continuous climb for 8.8 miles. It rolls up and down a bit which adds to the actual elevation hiked.

That being said, don't worry about it. It's not that bad and you'll be buzzin' on adrenaline. :)

Stover creek shelter is another 2.5 miles and it is indeed mostly downhill. If you start at 7AM you'll probably want to go on to Stover just to fill up the day.

bigben
10-04-2006, 20:57
Agreed. The Welcome Center to Stover is a good full first day. If you're not dead tired by then, Justus Creek and/or Longs Creek Falls are a little further. I would not go past there on day 1, period. No water and nothing but climbing until Hawk Mtn shelter, and then a big downhill, 660 ft up, down, 400 up, down 220 up, down to Gooch shelter, all in about 10 miles. Have fun.

I'm doing Neel's Gap to Dick's Creek Gap next spring. Dates not nailed down yet. Might see you out there.

Bigben

divot
10-04-2006, 22:22
Thanks all for the advice and encouragement. We are actually starting on top of Springer Mt., skipping the approach trail. Is parking adaquate and any crime a problem at Springer?

divot
10-04-2006, 22:25
thanks all for the advice! We are skipping the approach trail and going to try to finde forest service road 42 I believe to get to the top od Springer Mt. and start there. Is theft of a problem at these parking points?

hikerjohnd
10-04-2006, 22:32
No problems parking at Springer - no clue about Neels, but I assume same. Springer is about 1 mile south of the parking lot (the trail goes right thru the lot) - leave your pack at the car and make that a quick hike if you are determined to start at Springer. If that is not important then just start at the lot and you are already a mile into the hike.

Big Dawg
10-04-2006, 22:38

:welcome to WhiteBlaze, Divot!!

Since you're skipping the approach trail, then it shouldn't be a problem, unless you're really out of shape. Enjoy!! :sun

divot
10-04-2006, 23:00
What does a 3 day pack usually weigh for experienced hikers? Mine is weighing right at 40 lbs. Too much weight for this stretch?

greentick
10-05-2006, 01:10
Divot, I am not sure if you can leave a car at Neels Gap. If not, there is a parking area less than a mile "north" at the Byron Reece Memorial. There is a trail (1 mile long) to the AT that connects between Blood Mtn and Neels Gap. I have left vehicles at Springer without problem. I have had no probs at the Byron Reece parking lot either.

Rather than post your pack weight if you post your packing list you will get more suggestions for trimming weight. Mine weighed in at 35# for a 5 day a few weeks ago and I brought too much food. I always like to bring a luxury item or two like some bourbon or a book (anyone read Pat McManus?).

Have a great hike.

StarLyte
10-05-2006, 06:34

You are "new" hikers? Not knowing your physicial capabilities.....I would say this, so that you can take your time and enjoy it all---start at the Forest Service Road 42 hike up the back way to Springer then take your time to Neels Gap. You'll have to figure out your parking/shuttle (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/atf/cf/%7BD25B4747-42A3-4302-8D48-EF35C0B0D9F1%7D/ATshuttleWEB_Sept%20%201_2006.pdf).

40 pounds is a LOT for a new hiker going up GA mountains.

31 miles doesn't sound like a lot, but also be prepared for rain or any other conditions or circumstances so that you will have a pleasant hiking experience.

Skidsteer
10-05-2006, 08:30
Divot, I am not sure if you can leave a car at Neels Gap. If not, there is a parking area less than a mile "north" at the Byron Reece Memorial. There is a trail (1 mile long) to the AT that connects between Blood Mtn and Neels Gap. I have left vehicles at Springer without problem. I have had no probs at the Byron Reece parking lot either.

Rather than post your pack weight if you post your packing list you will get more suggestions for trimming weight. Mine weighed in at 35# for a 5 day a few weeks ago and I brought too much food. I always like to bring a luxury item or two like some bourbon or a book (anyone read Pat McManus?).

Have a great hike.

McManus is a good one.

Here's an example of his storytelling (http://www.mcmanusbooks.com/books/pleasent_misery/pleasent_misery.html)for those unfamiliar with him.

Jaybird
10-05-2006, 09:15

10-12 miles per day is very reasonable...HAVE FUN!

Enjoy!

chelko
10-05-2006, 10:25
I did this trip this summer with two 14 year olds and my wife, it was her first muti day trip (longer than an overnighter). We got the folks at hikerhostel.com to do a shuttle and drop us off at the FR 42 parking area and hiked south to the springer summit for the obligitory pictures with the plaques etc. First night Hawk Mountain, second night Gooch Mountain (one of the coolest shelters I have ever seen) wife got off at Woody gap son got on and went to woods hole, (long fricken day in July). There is parking less than a mile north of Neels on 19/129 that is supposed to be prertty secure. Have a great hike and be safe.