PDA

View Full Version : SUCCESS!!! DavidNH (snickers) Has thru hiked the AT!

DavidNH
10-04-2006, 13:33
Hi folks!

I just want to spread the word here.. and appolgies in advance but I am gonna break protocol just this once to shout it from the rafters...

I DID IT!!!!!
I summited Mount Katahdin Baxter Peak on Saturday September 30, 2006. I began the hike at Springer Mountain Georgia on March 21, 2006.

Katahdin is one of the most beautiful and impressive mountains I have seen.. and I have seen a lot of mountains! I really love how wild and alpine it is. Temps where in the 30's and there was frost on all the grasses.

So the trip took me 6 months a week and a day which includes about two weeks of zero days. I carried 40 pounds plus or minus (got as high as 50 when I really loaded up on food like after Monson). I experimented with various light weight gear (sneakers, tarptent, alcohol stove) but in NH and Me I went back to my tried and true (boots, free standing all weather tent, whisperlite stove).

Weather for the most part was in my favor.I did hit plenty of mud but ME was not half as bad as it would have been had I been there in June...just ask any southbounder!

I never slack packed (well except for climbing Katahdin) and always hiked north. I tried to hike at my pace but found it difficult to not get swept up into the obsession of miles and speed that so many hikers have. I have tons of pictures. What fabulous scenery the trail runs through.

Parts of the trail I would love to revisit:
the smokies
the Grayson Highlands
Shanendoha Natl Park
Vermont..little rock pond and stratton pond
the whites.. my stomping ground but even so.. they are gorgeous!

Maine.. the 100 mile wilderness, BSP, and the Bigelows and Saddleback MTN.

Parts of the trail I really don't care to visit again:
Georgia during peak thru hiker season: what a circus!
PENNSYLVANIA! I will forevermore maintain a passionate dislike of this state. Will those trail clubs ever stop pouring small rocks on the trail??? and why intentionally route the trail over a rock garden? and why so many small no name type clubs?

The Mahoosics. Yes they are gorgeous, but honestly.. couldn't someone lay out a descent trail? why straight up and down and through and across boulder fields??

So all in all.. I think I can feel pretty good about things. I completed in one year..thru hiked the AT..one of the harder trails in the US. No cutting corners and though I was surely one of the slower hikers, I don't feel that lessens my achievement in anyway. One still has to keep going and get there.

I was probably not one of the more popular hikers out there..but that's ok.. for one.. a thru hiker in his mid 40's is a rarity and for another my hike was more about me and my hike than what other's may of thought of me. I avoided the smokers and drinkers as much as I could which I am sure did not endear me to many folks. But as I said before..its ok.. it was my hike my rewards and my challenge. So to that end..all is good!

Oh.. my weight went from 255 +- at start of the hike to just under 200 pounds at the end. I have never lost so much weight over a 6 month period ever. Now if I can only keep it off now that I am not backpacking!!!!

I wonder if that December Billeville feast in Hanover will happen again this year? I unfortunately missed the feast in Caratunk this year...I was already in Monson at Shaws (one of my favorite AT hostels.. the breakfasts are killer!) and was not about to retreat south!

Best wishes to all,

DavidNH (trail name Snickers!)

Ewker
10-04-2006, 13:37
woohoo congrats :banana

ShakeyLeggs
10-04-2006, 13:42
Way to go!! Congratulations!!

Frolicking Dinosaurs
10-04-2006, 13:44
Woohoo!http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b47/lowcarbscoop/cartwheel.gifWoohoo!

Sly
10-04-2006, 13:44
Congratulations! But hard to imagine avoiding smikers and drinkers while asking about a Billville event. :rolleyes:

Outlaw
10-04-2006, 14:06
. No cutting corners and though I was surely one of the slower hikers, I don't feel that lessens my achievement in anyway. One still has to keep going and get there.

Snickers, That's great news!!! You hiked your hike... the way you wanted to do it. Through your perservance, hardwork, and shear determination you succeeded where so many others have not even tried. CONGRATS!!!!

:banana :banana :banana

Heater
10-04-2006, 14:18
Way to go David. I knew you could do it. :banana

Signed,
A Southerner. :cool:

Phreak
10-04-2006, 14:46
Congratz!!! :banana

neo
10-04-2006, 15:05
:) awesome man,congrats:cool: neo

vipahman
10-04-2006, 15:48
Congratulations. Alas, how I lament my lame weekend warrior attempt at completing the AT! But I'll get there one day.

Hammerhead
10-04-2006, 15:59
outstanding! congrats!

Creek Dancer
10-04-2006, 16:00
:banana That's very cool! Congratulations Snickers.

RadioFreq
10-04-2006, 16:07
Way to go, Snickers! :banana

StarLyte
10-04-2006, 16:17
WHAT energy!!!!

Snickers - I'm very happy for you. You must feel on top of the world right now. You have achieved what many only dream of.

Always remember to share your happiness and what you have learned.

What a beautiful day. :sun

tiamalle
10-04-2006, 16:43
Hi folks!

I just want to spread the word here.. and appolgies in advance but I am gonna break protocol just this once to shout it from the rafters...

I DID IT!!!!!
I summited Mount Katahdin Baxter Peak on Saturday September 30, 2006. I began the hike at Springer Mountain Georgia on March 21, 2006.

Katahdin is one of the most beautiful and impressive mountains I have seen.. and I have seen a lot of mountains! I really love how wild and alpine it is. Temps where in the 30's and there was frost on all the grasses.

So the trip took me 6 months a week and a day which includes about two weeks of zero days. I carried 40 pounds plus or minus (got as high as 50 when I really loaded up on food like after Monson). I experimented with various light weight gear (sneakers, tarptent, alcohol stove) but in NH and Me I went back to my tried and true (boots, free standing all weather tent, whisperlite stove).

Weather for the most part was in my favor.I did hit plenty of mud but ME was not half as bad as it would have been had I been there in June...just ask any southbounder!

I never slack packed (well except for climbing Katahdin) and always hiked north. I tried to hike at my pace but found it difficult to not get swept up into the obsession of miles and speed that so many hikers have. I have tons of pictures. What fabulous scenery the trail runs through.

Parts of the trail I would love to revisit:
the smokies
the Grayson Highlands
Shanendoha Natl Park
Vermont..little rock pond and stratton pond
the whites.. my stomping ground but even so.. they are gorgeous!

Maine.. the 100 mile wilderness, BSP, and the Bigelows and Saddleback MTN.

Parts of the trail I really don't care to visit again:
Georgia during peak thru hiker season: what a circus!
PENNSYLVANIA! I will forevermore maintain a passionate dislike of this state. Will those trail clubs ever stop pouring small rocks on the trail??? and why intentionally route the trail over a rock garden? and why so many small no name type clubs?

The Mahoosics. Yes they are gorgeous, but honestly.. couldn't someone lay out a descent trail? why straight up and down and through and across boulder fields??

So all in all.. I think I can feel pretty good about things. I completed in one year..thru hiked the AT..one of the harder trails in the US. No cutting corners and though I was surely one of the slower hikers, I don't feel that lessens my achievement in anyway. One still has to keep going and get there.

I was probably not one of the more popular hikers out there..but that's ok.. for one.. a thru hiker in his mid 40's is a rarity and for another my hike was more about me and my hike than what other's may of thought of me. I avoided the smokers and drinkers as much as I could which I am sure did not endear me to many folks. But as I said before..its ok.. it was my hike my rewards and my challenge. So to that end..all is good!

Oh.. my weight went from 255 +- at start of the hike to just under 200 pounds at the end. I have never lost so much weight over a 6 month period ever. Now if I can only keep it off now that I am not backpacking!!!!

I wonder if that December Billeville feast in Hanover will happen again this year? I unfortunately missed the feast in Caratunk this year...I was already in Monson at Shaws (one of my favorite AT hostels.. the breakfasts are killer!) and was not about to retreat south!

Best wishes to all,

DavidNH (trail name Snickers!)Sniker you did great,Ron Haven

Skidsteer
10-04-2006, 17:25
Good on ya Snickers.

bfitz
10-04-2006, 18:06
Cheers! (But I love PA.)

Rain Man
10-04-2006, 18:28
Congratulations. Alas, how I lament my lame weekend warrior attempt at completing the AT! But I'll get there one day.

Congratulations to Snickers! And Vipahman, please don't lament weekend warrioring, or else I'll have to start lamenting my weekend warrioring! LOL

I'll be out there this long Columbus Day weekend, doing approx 30 miles from Allen Gap to Sam's Gap, north of Hot Springs, NC.

Rain:sunMan

mweinstone
10-04-2006, 18:34
im sick with jelosey.

peter_pan
10-04-2006, 18:50
Wat to Go...Congrats.

Pan

jmaclennan
10-04-2006, 19:35
congrats!!! i don't know if you remember, but i met you the day you started on springer. interviewed you about various things. i had a feeling about you... and i was wrong. just kidding. ;) i knew you could do it!

Roland
10-04-2006, 19:38
Congratulations, David.

virtualfrog
10-04-2006, 20:38
Rock on man.

virtualfrog
10-04-2006, 20:40
Rock on.

Nub

Blissful
10-04-2006, 21:09
WOW I can't wait to post that kind of announcement myself next year.

Sigh....

tiptoe
10-04-2006, 22:11
great news, snickers. congrats.

Jack Tarlin
10-04-2006, 22:55
Nice work, David!!!

And yes, we'll be having our annual Trashgiving fest sometime around the first weekend in December at a place to be determined, maybe Hanover, maybe somewhere else. Will keep you informed, and hope to see you there again.

little bear
10-04-2006, 23:09
congrat david on HYOH. maybe I will be there one day. again congrats
little bear

Panzer1
10-05-2006, 00:41
Congratulations Snickers.

Are you going to the Gathering on October 13-15???
Its in West Virginia this year.

Panzer

BooBoo
10-05-2006, 00:44
There's no feeling in the world like that feeling you get when you kiss that sign and let out a great big ol Whoop 'n' Holler!!!!

A-Train
10-07-2006, 00:27
Congrats! You've got something now so special, and no one can ever take that away. For me, the memories of my hike are more valuable than any "thing" or possession

Cheesewhiz
10-07-2006, 08:03
Just a shout from one completed thru hike to another completed one for the class of 06

Congrats

cheesewhiz
March 21 thru October 5

Heater
10-07-2006, 08:13
Just a shout from one completed thru hike to another completed one for the class of 06

Congrats

cheesewhiz
March 21 thru October 5

Congratulations CheeseWhiz. :sun

StarLyte
10-07-2006, 09:06

Congrats

cheesewhiz
March 21 thru October 5

Cheesewhiz.......I never congratulated you for completing your thru-hike.

YOU DID IT !:banana

Will we see you at the Gathering.......Pa Ruck again? I sure hope so. Keep in touch!
-Marsha

T-Dubs
10-07-2006, 09:35
Congratulations, David. Your hike sounds about perfect to me. Hike at your own pace, avoiding the parties and, of course, making it Thru! Nice.

Tom

TOW
10-07-2006, 09:54
right on!!!!!!!!!!

Sly
10-07-2006, 10:19
Hiking without partying on occasion is like..... well, I'm not sure what it's like. :o:):D;)

Gaiter
10-07-2006, 13:22
congrats! :banana