PDA

View Full Version : Hammock in heavy snow??

freefall
10-04-2006, 21:02
Has any hammockers out there ever used their hammock in heavy snow? I live in CO and love my HH! But have only used it in 3 season hiking(started 03/04/06 from Springer). I am wanting to do some winter hiking this year and I'm not sure if I need to buy a 4 season tent or if I'll be able to use it in any conditions.
I've already ordered my snowshoes and I'm getting excited as there's already snow visible and sticking around at the 11,000' level. As a bonus, it is looking to be a hard winter this year in the denver area mountains this year.
So, will the ole' HH hold up with 10"-15" of snowfall?

Thanks!

strnorm
10-04-2006, 21:48
I think i would put a tarp in a v shape over it so snow will slide off, i got a 10x12 very slick at the army surplus store /o\ /o\ /\ stay warm:sun

MedicineMan
10-04-2006, 22:33
its the tarp above it that matters...and like the above post implies, the v-shape will shed snow readily....the question is will you have enough insulation under the hammock and on top of you to survive the night.

slowhike
10-04-2006, 22:48
yep... as long as your set-up right w/ your tarp, the snow shouldn`t be a problem... unless you start getting a drift built up under your hammock <G>
but like the others said, insulation all the way around you & wind protection is going to be what makes the differance. but i guess if your planning to take a hammock out in those conditions, you must already be informed on underquilts & pea pods & such. ...tim

MedicineMan
10-04-2006, 23:04
if in the case of a big snow drift you could use it to your advantage and nestle the hammock into the snow....but first you would have to have a waterproof barrier between the underquilt or pod and the snow....this would over several nights allow body moisture to build up in the insulation but if out only 2 or 3 nights it shouldnt be a big problem...maybe some 'sun' time during the afternoon to cook it out, and i think the majority of moisture from the body goes airborn anyway....kind of an upside down snow cave....and maybe an excuse to use the supershelter

Just Jeff
10-05-2006, 00:21
Check the pic at the top of this page:
http://www.tothewoods.net/HammockCampingWarm.html

And this page:
http://www.tothewoods.net/HikingPicturesWinnemucca.html

In the mountains, the temps aren't necessarily the issue. And regular snowfall isn't bad if you keep it from building up on your tarp. But other weather conditions in the mountains could be a problem. If you have to hole up for a day or two, you'll have no wind-protected place to cook (like a tent's vestibule). Or dry snow can blow under the tarp and settle on top of the hammock, and melt, wetting your insulation. Or your supports could freeze to the tree (but different lashing could probably take care of that).

Not that these are insurmountable. The knowldge/ability to dig snow shelters can compensate for some of the hammock's shortcomings - digging a snow kitchen for a wind-protected place to cook, for example, or a snow trench to hang the hammock inside of. It'll just take an extra measure of planning and caution in case a storm hits.

But after the Winnemucca storm, I don't think I'd trust a Hennessy in the mountains in winter. I don't think I'd trust any hammock on the market right now, actually - but I think a simple waterproof hammock bivy would have been enough to get me through Winnemucca w/o bailing to a friend's tent. I'm prototyping one now...was gonna start cutting the material tonight but the wife wants me to watch Criminal Minds with her...

I'm moving to Colorado Springs in late 2009 or early 2010. Maybe we could hit the mountains together.

Ramble~On
10-05-2006, 05:25
I really hope to be able to answer that this winter.
I have slept in the hammock in snow but not anything that would qualify as "heavy" snow. Snow camping is beyond words and the beauty can also be beyond words. It is about the tarp and the way you set it up...it can also be about the wind and snow that can blow under the tarp.

slowhike
10-05-2006, 07:14
jeff... i for one will be interrested in hearing about the desine you have come up w/ for the waterproof hammock bivy. ...tim

Just Jeff
10-05-2006, 10:38
After looking at several designs and prototyping a few, I'm basically back to Risk's TravelPod with waterproof material and a waterproof zipper. It's the most simple and functional design I've found. My zipper arrangement will be a bit different.

I'm having a hard time finding a #3 waterproof two-way separating zipper, though. I don't want to use a regular zipper with a flap, so I might just use a one-way zipper and leave it connected at the end...no big deal. And I might add a removable hood over the head section. But my next prototype will look pretty much like Risk's with a few mods.

Fiddleback
10-05-2006, 13:05
I've only done falling snow once with a hammock and that was just an inch or two of heavy wet stuff at about 30°...the whole night was a combination of wind and mixed 'wet stuff.' The snow weighed the tarp down so that it closely enveloped the hammock. That combined with the snow clinging to the tarp made for a very well insulated and toasty night.

As far as temps go, the warmer nights are those with snow as opposed to those nights that are frigidly clear.

FB