PDA

View Full Version : One unexpected drawback of carbon fiber poles...

ex-tennesseean
10-05-2006, 00:22
...(sigh) ... is that a young, teething dog might enjoy stealing one and chewing on it when they're left lying around the house. The poor pole held up to this mistreatment about as well as, say, a chicken bone. If it had been an aluminum pole, I don't think she would have given it a second bite.

The consolation is, it was one of those fussy, hard-to-lock REI CF poles, bought at half-off at a garage sale. But don't let this happen to you - hang 'em high, ok?

hikerjohnd
10-05-2006, 00:28
Ouch ... My puppy has eyed a few pieces of gear, but as she approaches the 1 year old mark my socks seem to be her target of choice (I know my wife won't touch 'em anyway).

Too bad - but like you said, at least you did not have an arm and leg invested!

twosticks
10-05-2006, 10:07
I would make sure to check the inside of your dog's mouth. carbon fiber can be some pretty nasty stuff. It'll splinter just like a chicken bone except it'll create some huge stiff splitners just looking for a dog to impale itself into. I've have carbon fiber splinters. They suck.

RockyTrail
10-05-2006, 11:14
I second that...

I hope the dog didn't get those fibers embedded; if the pole is shattered be careful handling it, those splinters don't decompose the way wood eventually does, and become a permanent part of your body unless removed.

Vi+
10-05-2006, 12:16
I had a Rhodesian Ridgeback that ate everything that would fit in his mouth - and he had a very large mouth. He went on a TV remote-control-a-day habit for three days. Once he ate two complete repair kits for my MSR stove, meaning he had two fairly large stainless steel “L” shaped arms, a couple pieces of fine gauge piano wire, and other assortments of metal in his stomach. He never showed a sign of ill effects, and I never saw evidence these passed through his system. He lived a long and healthy life. When he died, we buried him with these things still inside as far as I know.

I’m not saying you shouldn’t be cautious, or worry for that matter, but some dogs can get away with consuming amazing things.

ex-tennesseean
10-05-2006, 17:01
Thanks for your concern over my pest, er, pet. So far she's still smilin'. It's a funny story, really, like the time my 2 year-old put my cellphone in the toilet. It was black, and about the right shape and size, so that showed she was trying to clean up after herself.

Tinker
10-05-2006, 17:10
If you wedge them between two rocks on a downhill and lose your footing, you can shatter them just like a cheapo cross country ski pole.

Aluminum can break, too, but, generally it will bend and can be bent back, and be usable until you get to a town.