PDA

View Full Version : Roan Highlands

vaporjourney
10-05-2006, 08:25
I plan on making a trip here in the upcoming weeks because I've heard its one of the most spectacular along the AT. I especially want to hit it in good weather just in case I cant enjoy it on my NOBO next year. Anyways...what is the best way to hike this? I don't think this section is very long (~10 mi?), so perhaps it'd be wise just to make it an overnight trip? Another consideration is the weather. I've read that it is reliably COLD and windy nearly yearound. I've got 4 days off coming up, but I'm thinking that those days could be better spend in the smokies, and it'd be wise to save this trip for a 2 day excursion. Thoughts?

Lone Wolf
10-05-2006, 08:32
It's 13.7 miles frpm Carver's Gap to 19E NOBO. Hike 5 miles to Overmountain Shelter then 8.5 to 19E the next day. Mountain Harbor B&B on 19E offers parking and shuttles. 423-772-9494.

Jaybird
10-05-2006, 09:11
It's 13.7 miles frpm Carver's Gap to 19E NOBO. Hike 5 miles to Overmountain Shelter then 8.5 to 19E the next day. Mountain Harbor B&B on 19E offers parking and shuttles. 423-772-9494.

One of my favorite stretches of the A.T. (so far!):D

wilconow
10-05-2006, 12:53
i parked overnight at mtn harbor. charges $5 a day. you can also shower there for $3 i believe it was.

here are my photos from my roan trip july 4th weekend

http://www.terrapinstats.com/photos/categories.php?cat_id=9

Gaiter
10-05-2006, 13:48
Be careful...http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=17877
this just happened on 10/02/06 its suppose to be a bad winter.
The 13 mile section could be done in a day, but I really liked my stay at Overmountain Shelter. And if you can take a night at Mountain Harbour, mary and Terry are so nice and she makes an excellent breakfast that is so hard to hike on, but its so good.

MDSHiker
10-05-2006, 14:06
I agree with Jaybird...it's an awesome section of trail.

Gray Blazer
10-05-2006, 14:12
If you have a good tent, spend the night on Big Hump. It's cold up there even in August. You can make it there easily from carver's gap in one day. Eat lunch at Overmountain. Do whatever you like, that's just my suggestion. Have a good time!

emerald
10-05-2006, 14:13
I plan on making a trip here in the upcoming weeks because I've heard its one of the most spectacular along the AT. I especially want to hit it in good weather just in case I cant enjoy it on my NOBO next year. [Some text deleted here.] Thoughts?

I should not have unsubscribed myself from this thread. Please let us know if you do this hike and tell us about your experiences, okay?

Correction: this is a thread other than the thread that I was thinking about. Check out this thread (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=15445) which I thought was what I was seeing on my monitor. I promise you will not be disappointed. My link is still good.

vaporjourney
10-05-2006, 14:18
Will definitely update this thread when I go up there. As it stands, I'll probably go in two weeks, and try to spend two nights and three days there. I really look forward to it. I visited Max Patch and spent a day there and was comletely blown away. I expect the same views and inspiration from Roan.

emerald
10-05-2006, 14:24
I edited adding a link for you.

Jack Tarlin
10-05-2006, 15:15
I think Lone Wolf got it just about right; I'd start at Carver's Gap, stay at Overmountain Shelter, and then continue to 19E. In addition to the fine folks he mentioned as possible shuttlers, you could also get in touch with Miss Janet in Erwin (423) 743-1932 and she could get you to Carver's. You could also leave your car at her place; DON'T leave a vehicle at 19E whatever you do.

Earl Grey
10-05-2006, 15:40
Be careful...http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=17877
this just happened on 10/02/06 its suppose to be a bad winter.
The 13 mile section could be done in a day, but I really liked my stay at Overmountain Shelter. And if you can take a night at Mountain Harbour, mary and Terry are so nice and she makes an excellent breakfast that is so hard to hike on, but its so good.

Yes it will be a bad winter. Ive noticed on the forest floors there are many acorns from squirrels stocking them up which signals a cold winter. Also the wooly worms were already furry in mid Sept.

emerald
10-05-2006, 15:48
Yes it will be a bad winter. Ive noticed on the forest floors there are many acorns from squirrels stocking them up which signals a cold winter. Also the wooly worms were already furry in mid Sept.

Maybe it was just a good mast year and the squirrels are opportunists getting busy!;)

MOWGLI
10-05-2006, 16:17

You know it's going to be a bad winter when the mountain lions are stalking pugs in New Jersey. ;)

ScottP
10-05-2006, 18:48
One of my favorite sections of the trail. The balds are great, but the overmountain shelter has an awesome view of a valley, and is a great place to stargaze. Wish I could join you!

emerald
10-05-2006, 19:10
You know it's going to be a bad winter when the mountain lions are stalking pugs in New Jersey. ;)

You've got that right. We'd better all make sure we have snow shovels with stout handles.;) ;)

vaporjourney
10-14-2006, 18:03
Is this place a good spot to hit for the fall colors around now? I've got a couple of nights off coming up and was thinking of going to Roan before it gets really really cold. If the colors aren't so spectacular, I may pick another spot around WNC, and just hit the Roan area after the leaf season peaks, sometime in November.

RAT
10-23-2006, 19:56
Leaves were peak here (near Roan) this past weekend and are now starting to turn brown except for lower elevations. Most of the Roan is highlands so after the peak there wont be much "color" to see. However it is an awesome section at any time of yr. but be prepared to exp. much colder temps up there at any time :)

RAT (Roan is in my backyard)