PDA

View Full Version : Hiker Finds Oil Spill

Newb
10-05-2006, 08:40
Found this today. This makes me extremely angry.

http://www.yubanet.com/artman/publish/article_43282.shtml

Rain Man
10-05-2006, 09:21
Thanks, ATVers! Note dripping sarcasm mode ON.

Rain Man

JoeHiker
10-05-2006, 17:25
Obviously this is never good but according to the article, we are talking about one gallon here. One gallon.

If this were a trend with gallons appearing all over the place, I could understand it, but is this really even worth anyone's attention?

Tinker
10-05-2006, 17:33
Only costs me the trip to the recycling center. Even if I didn't have access to it, I'd gladly pay up to a dollar to a service station to take my used oil.

.....And they'd most likely gladly take my DOLLAR!:D

MOWGLI
10-05-2006, 17:37
Obviously this is never good but according to the article, we are talking about one gallon here. One gallon.

If this were a trend with gallons appearing all over the place, I could understand it, but is this really even worth anyone's attention?

How much ground water do you think one gallon can foul?

Tinker
10-05-2006, 17:41
Very good point, MOWGLI. Comes awfully close to condoning this kind of action.
Shame on you, Joe Hiker (or whatever you really are).

Tractor
10-05-2006, 17:42
Just a wild guess: Man goes off path, cuts/busts oil pan, much of the oil leaks out quickly or at the next near point where vehicle gets stuck, vehicle doesn't go much farther before engine locks up or has been damaged for lack of lubrication. Not a good day all around then but not as bad a day as if said vehicle had carried a few 55 gallon drums of oil out for dumping. True, if "everybody" went off path and busted their oil pan then there could be gallonS of oil there too.

MOWGLI
10-05-2006, 17:43

Well, in defense of Joe, I kinda thought the same thing when I read the article. I wonder if the trail was even designated for OHV use. That's a whole nother issue.

Edit: It was apparently an official OHV trail. Also I notice the article says; "There were signs that the oil had entered the South Yuba River but the quantity was unknown."

johnny quest
10-05-2006, 17:44
lets stone him!!!!!

Tinker
10-05-2006, 17:46
Well, in defense of Joe, I kinda thought the same thing when I read the article. I wonder if the trail was even designated for OHV use. That's a whole nother issue.

Edit: It was apparently an official OHV trail Also I notice the article says; "There were signs that the oil had entered the South Yuba River but the quantity was unknown."

Well, I guess I might have been a little too quick to judge, but, we all have to watch what we say and how it might be perceived.

Tractor
10-05-2006, 18:05
Newb. It's obvious this hit you hard man but remember all fish can fry and to fry a few little ones can be good too. Dang it but if we put our blinders on I bet most of us could find a similar patch of spill everyday someplace near where we live or on the trail. Not good at all but a lot of these little ones aren't even of notice to the one(s) who were involved. Change that part of the equation and I think we got something! Peace.

Lugnut
10-05-2006, 18:31
I really don't see how a small amount of oil would have much affect. When I was a kid the county used to come around twice a year and spray down the gravel/dirt streets in town with used motor oil. It didn't appear to cause any ill effects but if I can use the exposure to it as an excuse for anything I've said or done I'm okay with that! :D

Skidsteer
10-05-2006, 18:53
I really don't see how a small amount of oil would have much affect. When I was a kid the county used to come around twice a year and spray down the gravel/dirt streets in town with used motor oil. It didn't appear to cause any ill effects but if I can use the exposure to it as an excuse for anything I've said or done I'm okay with that! :D

I'm by no means a rabid environmentalist(really!) but the problem is groundwater contamination. This stuff basically doesn't breakdown or decompose in a time frame that is easily grasped by humans; it can only be diluted or migrate to a place that doesn't affect groundwater.

The less we put in our water supply, the better.

Alligator
10-05-2006, 19:56
Only costs me the trip to the recycling center. Even if I didn't have access to it, I'd gladly pay up to a dollar to a service station to take my used oil.

.....And they'd most likely gladly take my DOLLAR!:D Some parts stores have oil recycling tanks. Advance Auto does.

Panzer1
10-05-2006, 21:03
Well you know, it could have been worse. Yea, they could have spilled 2 gallons!! Then they would really be in trouble..

Panzer

Panzer1
10-05-2006, 21:04
PS

Also consider that cars can hold up to 5 gallons..

Panzer (again)

Alligator
10-05-2006, 21:12
PS

Panzer (again)That's a lot of oil for a car:-? .

Skidsteer
10-05-2006, 21:18
That's a lot of oil for a car:-? .

Differential and transmission plus engine.

Alligator
10-05-2006, 21:35
Differential and transmission plus engine.OK, but if all that spills out you get the satisfaction of knowing the driver is dead:p.

Skidsteer
10-05-2006, 21:50
OK, but if all that spills out you get the satisfaction of knowing the driver is dead:p.

:D Covered in antifreeze, freon, and brake fluid.

Alligator
10-05-2006, 22:03
:D Covered in antifreeze, freon, and brake fluid.Literally able to kiss your ass good-bye as your vehicle goes up in flames, all the while thinking, "Why did I drive on that hiking trail!":jump

Newb
10-05-2006, 22:43
Newb. It's obvious this hit you hard man but remember all fish can fry and to fry a few little ones can be good too. Dang it but if we put our blinders on I bet most of us could find a similar patch of spill everyday someplace near where we live or on the trail. Not good at all but a lot of these little ones aren't even of notice to the one(s) who were involved. Change that part of the equation and I think we got something! Peace.

I live in Alexandria, VA (DC Metro area). Frying fish is not an option. People are warned not to eat more than 6 ounces of fish per month from the Potomac river. But, don't think it's just the lower Potomac. That lovely Shenandoah river that so many hikers like to raft down (aqua blaze) ever Summer is loaded with PCBs. Our environment is polluted to the core. NOT ONE LAKE in America, anywhere, does not test negative for pollutants from power plants (coal burning monsters). My dad tells me that when he was a kid in the late 1930's (he's 80) they used to dip a cup in Lake Michigan and actually drink the water.

Try that now.

Almost There
10-06-2006, 09:23
My dad tells me that when he was a kid in the late 1930's (he's 80) they used to dip a cup in Lake Michigan and actually drink the water.

Try that now.

Your dad was a brave man by your accounting then, having grown up in the Chicago area and being a history teacher and student I can tell you that Lake Michigan was disgusting long before the 1930s unless you just want to ignore the industrial revolution that America went through in the 2nd half of the 19th century. At the southern end you alone had Chicago and Gary, Indiana. All one has to do is to drive the Skyway into Chicago from Indiana to see the remnants of late 19th and early 20th century progress.

Sorry, not saying things are good, but they were far worse 50-100 years ago in our nation's bodies of water than they are today.

icemanat95
10-06-2006, 10:13
Almost There,

That's what I was going to say. Surface water pollution around the turn of the century was extreme. Finding clean water was difficult. Most rivers, especially near cities, were direct raw sewage dumps and industrial waste dumps. various bleaches, dyes, solvents, etc. were dumped freely into rivers. Garbage was dumped off wharves and piers more readily than in trash dumps. In rural communities just about every private landholding had its own dump, etc. While there are pollutants in our waters and soil today, it is nothing compared to what was there 100 years ago. What we do have much more of is durable solid waste...mostly plastics. Mostly the rates of contamination are decreasing, at least in the US. Acid rain is a smaller issue for us now and air pollution in the US is getting better and better all the time.

Still, this sort of garbage is dissappointing. We know better than this.

Outlaw
10-06-2006, 10:16
Without trying to be presumptuous, I think Newb's point is a gallon of oil spilled here, a gallon of oil spilled there adds up very quickly. It is the cummulative effect of all these "minor" spills that can be as detrimental to our environment as one large scale spill. Large spills get all the attention... they call in the EPA, The Coast Guard, the National Guard and every state and local environmental agency and volunteer-based group to offer their expertise and assistance. But all too many of these smaller spills get overlooked or merely taken for granted. How many of us have either dumped used motor oil in a storm drain or have observed our neighbors doing it? Well, most stormwater systems ultimately recharge our aquifer, the very source of our drinking water and more times than not without the benefit of any filtration system. Just something for all of us to ponder the next time we see an "minor" oil spill.

RockyTrail
10-06-2006, 11:06
PS

Panzer (again)

Most cars take up to 5 quarts of oil if you include changing the filter (and that's for a full size engine like a V-8 or V-6).

The ATVs with a smaller engine take probably a bit less; but regardless, I hate to see somebody make a mess like that. I think Tractor is correct, somebody probably ripped open the oil pan on a rock or something (a bad thing for everyone).

MOWGLI
10-06-2006, 11:10
I think Tractor is correct, somebody probably ripped open the oil pan on a rock or something (a bad thing for everyone).

Q: What do you call one out of commission ATV?

A: A good start! ;)

Tim Rich
10-06-2006, 11:29
Most cars take up to 5 quarts of oil if you include changing the filter (and that's for a full size engine like a V-8 or V-6).

The ATVs with a smaller engine take probably a bit less; but regardless, I hate to see somebody make a mess like that. I think Tractor is correct, somebody probably ripped open the oil pan on a rock or something (a bad thing for everyone).

My Tahoe takes 6 quarts of oil and over four gallons of transmission fluid. Brake fluid, power steering fluid and rear differential oil would add more to that. Counting those systems, many autos would approach or exceed five gallons of oil based fluids.

It's sad to see a gallon of oil spilled, but I wonder how much waste went into a landfill from the cleanup. Much, much ado...

Take Care,

Tim

Tim Rich
10-06-2006, 11:32
Almost There and Iceman are the dual recipients of the Beacon of Reality Award for their historically accurate, panic-free depiction of pollution issues. :D

Refreshing.

Almost There
10-06-2006, 11:56
Almost There and Iceman are the dual recipients of the Beacon of Reality Award for their historically accurate, panic-free depiction of pollution issues. :D

Refreshing.

Gotta keep it honest!

Hey, Tim you see how my Spartans are doing??? How about Marietta??? I think we're gonna take it from you this year!

Tim Rich
10-06-2006, 12:09
Gotta keep it honest!

Hey, Tim you see how my Spartans are doing??? How about Marietta??? I think we're gonna take it from you this year!

Y'all are looking very good at 4-1. You've actually beaten teams better than Etowah - what happened at homecoming? Kennesaw Mountain's varsity is 2-2. 15 turnovers in four games have just killed us. With my oldest off to college, my focus in on son #2 and his freshman exploits. The KMHS Freshman team is 3-0 with wins over Marietta, Harrison and South Cobb. The Harrison game was our closest at 25-21 with my boy scoring two TDs, including the game winner with 30 seconds left - very exciting. We have your freshman team next Thursday at home. Are you still coaching on the freshman team? If so, I'll look you up.

Take Care,

Tim

Almost There
10-06-2006, 12:33
Still coaching freshmen, offense is better than last year, but we couldn't put points on the board yesterday. They beat us 31-6. I'm coaching the defense again. Our problem as usual is we don't have size on the freshman level. I figured out some things against Harrison in the 2nd half...they only put up 1 score in the 2nd half and nothing after I figured out an adjustment, but poor play in the 1st killed us. Score was 6-6 in the 2nd half, unfortunately it was 25-0 at halftime. See ya' next Thursday night!

vipahman
10-06-2006, 12:57
How much ground water do you think one gallon can foul?
I don't know but I'll empty 1 oz oil in a 10000 gallon pool, mix it well and you can drink out of it anytime you feel a chemical craving.:banana

Tinker
10-06-2006, 13:02
PS

Panzer (again)

I think he means "Quarts". I've never put more than 5 in any vehicle I've owned.

Tim Rich
10-06-2006, 13:32
I don't know but I'll empty 1 oz oil in a 10000 gallon pool, mix it well and you can drink out of it anytime you feel a chemical craving.:banana

At less than one part per million, no worries. There's more sunscreen in there than that. The chlorine would give me pause, though.

JoeHiker
10-06-2006, 14:15

No I do not "condone" this kind of action. Shame on you Tinker for flying off the handle.

(Whatever I "really" am? Curse you -- you've caught on to me! I'm actually a space alien from planet Xantar!)

Newb
10-06-2006, 16:09
At less than one part per million, no worries. There's more sunscreen in there than that. The chlorine would give me pause, though.

...and all the urine. I refuse to swim in public pools.

Tinker
10-06-2006, 23:21
Well, I guess I might have been a little too quick to judge, but, we all have to watch what we say and how it might be perceived.

I recanted. Call it an apology if you will.....

However, I don't think a little oil on a trail is no big deal. That's one reason hikers fight to keep vehicles out of wilderness areas.

I just have less tolerance for pollution than you do, I guess.

Sorry.

atraildreamer
10-07-2006, 00:51

I don't remember where I read it, :-? but I believe the figure was that 1 gallon of petroleum product can pollute ~800,000 gallons of water, :eek: making it unusable for drinking. :(