PDA

View Full Version : Benton MacKaye Trail

Big Foot
10-05-2006, 16:58
Does anyone have experience on the Benton Mackaye? Is it worth doing? I have hiked the AT from Blood Mtn. to NOC, is it as good? Better?

Also, how about the Smokies? On the AT you must use shelters and register. What about on the Benton, are there shelters?

What are the pros/cons of this trail?

Thanks for any advice you have!

MOWGLI
10-05-2006, 17:04
Does anyone have experience on the Benton Mackaye? Yes!

Is it worth doing?
You betcha!

I have hiked the AT from Blood Mtn. to NOC, is it as good? Better?
Apples & oranges. IMO - the BMT in Georgia is tougher than the AT in Georgia..

Also, how about the Smokies? On the AT you must use shelters and register. What about on the Benton, are there shelters?
I belive there is one shelter in the Smokies. A total of 2 shelters in 300 miles. The BMT in the Smokies is DEFINITELY tougher than the AT in the Smokies.

Depending upon your perspective, these will either be a pro or con;

Next to no shelters
Very few other hikers = major solitude
lots of opportunities to view wildlife
more of a wilderness trail - tough to follow in some places

Thanks for any advice you have

Go to Trailjournals (http://www.trailjournals.com/journal_index.cfm?year=2016&trail=Benton+MacKaye+Trail&gotrail=+Go+)and read some BMT journals. I have one in there from 2003, although it is only for the first 93 miles. Here is a link to a blog (http://americanhiking.chattablogs.com/archives/033975.html)containing info about the Lakeshore Trail portion in GSMNP.
You're :welcome !

Buckles
10-05-2006, 17:39
Does anyone have experience on the Benton Mackaye? Is it worth doing? I have hiked the AT from Blood Mtn. to NOC, is it as good? Better?

Thanks for any advice you have!

Peaceful. You won't have to worry about seeing other hikers. Not much on views. I have fond memories of the BMT section between Hwy. 60 and Skeenah Gap Road (Kids, can you say "vertical"?). Give it a try.

Big Foot
10-06-2006, 13:11
Thanks guys! I will check out the trailjournals also!

Big Foot
10-06-2006, 13:14
Just foud out I can't get in trailjournals... server has it blocked. I will try to find a back door or use a friends computer.

Big Foot
10-06-2006, 13:25
Two more questions?

I don't mind getting a little lost, that's half the fun but how well is the trail really marked and how far after the last marker should I start to think about backtracking?

In the smokies I assume you just tent camp and that's ok since there is only one shelter? Has anyone had a problem with bears, assuming of coarse that I use all bear country precautions when camping?

Ewker
10-06-2006, 13:32
In the Smokies you do have to get a permit to camp even at the tent sites. There will be bear cables at all of the sites.

check this site for any campsites that may be closed because of bears. Scroll down to see them
http://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/temproadclose.htm

MOWGLI
10-06-2006, 13:53
I don't mind getting a little lost, that's half the fun but how well is the trail really marked and how far after the last marker should I start to think about backtracking?

Hokey Pokey and Hammock Hanger could probably best answer your question. So could Happy Feet - who is a volunteer with the Benton MacKaye Trail Association (http://www.bmta.org/). You can send all three of them a PM.

I have heard folks talk about difficuties in the three wilderness areas. Just south of the Ocoee River can get a little sketchy (I know this from first hand experience). So can the Citco Wilderness and the Joyce Kilmer Slickrock Wilderness.

Don't let this scare you away. Just be aware that in some areas, the BMT is only blazed at trail junctions.

generoll
10-06-2006, 19:01
I've hiked the BMT from Fontana to Bryson City, great hike, great campsites, and clearly marked trails. (This in the Smokies of course). I am headed out next week to go from Bryson City to Davenport Gap. I'll let you know how that goes.

Hikerhead
10-06-2006, 19:03
All good info up above. Buy the $5 maps of the southern 100. The b/w maps won't do much good but the info on printed on the back is helpful, and buy the National Geo maps. The BMT is now highlighted in yellow. The trail is mostly marked pretty well but like Mowgli16 said, just pay special attention in the wilderness areas. More than likely you'll see more wildlife than people even though that hasn't been the case with me. I still have the last 100 miles to do in the Smokies.

SGT Rock
10-07-2006, 10:09
I belive there is one shelter in the Smokies. A total of 2 shelters in 300 miles. The BMT in the Smokies is DEFINITELY tougher than the AT in the Smokies.

Hey Mowgli. I read your blog and it seemed from your descriptions of the Lakeshore trail it was a pleasant walk. So I am assuming the harder part is on the North East side of Smokemont.

I was planning a 6 day crossing of the Smokies on the BMT, you think that is realistic?

MOWGLI
10-07-2006, 10:14
I was planning a 6 day crossing of the Smokies on the BMT, you think that is realistic?

After what you're going through, it'll be a walk in the park! (pun intended :banana) I'd love to join you!

PS: Were you able to listen to the audio soundbites on the blog? If so, I have a clever idea I'd like to implement. (Wheels turning - smoke coming from Mowgli's ears)

SGT Rock
10-07-2006, 10:28
Naw, I don't always have a great connection. So I didn't even try knowing what to expect. I figure I could start them downloading before I go to bed and they may be ready to listen to by morning.

Sly
10-07-2006, 10:30
Mowgli can you post the link to your blog again? I'm doing the BMT next spring.

MOWGLI
10-07-2006, 10:33
Mowgli can you post the link to your blog again? I'm doing the BMT next spring.

http://americanhiking.chattablogs.com/

The Lakeshore Trail (BMT) entries start here (http://americanhiking.chattablogs.com/archives/033975.html).

Sly
10-07-2006, 10:35
Great, thanks!

MOWGLI
10-07-2006, 10:35
Naw, I don't always have a great connection. So I didn't even try knowing what to expect. I figure I could start them downloading before I go to bed and they may be ready to listen to by morning.

Bummer! I would think they'd supply you with Broadband over there - considering your contribution. I'm sure a slow connecction is still better than no connection. That's one thing the trail taught me. Be grateful for what you have.

SGT Rock
10-07-2006, 10:40
Well I buy my own connection that sucks at $70 a month. I do have a connection at work - didn't think of that. I'll download them next time I am at the office.

SGT Rock
10-07-2006, 14:28
I got the audio files. While I was listening to the part about the road project I thought about a part from "Strangers in High Places" by Michael Frome. Apparently there was a time where the Smokies could also have had sections of the park (like the lake shore) designated as wilderness which would have prevented them from ever getting roads built in them. At the time the park service opposed that because they wanted the option to build a road exactly where the road to no where sits. If they would have been forward thinking enough back then...