PDA

View Full Version : best sleeping bag for under $200

nchiker467
10-05-2006, 17:58
suggestions for a sleeping bag for under $200. Needs to be rated to around 20 degrees. down or synthetic. Maybe synthetic, afriad of getting down wet.benn thinking of a tnf cats moew and save some money. Or a jrb no sniveller , use as a top quilt in my hh and use a stupid ccf pad -.-

Tinker
10-05-2006, 18:04
The Cat's Meow is a good, solid, syn. bag. I'm not up on what's new out there in synthetics, though, I've been using down for over 20 years (except for canoeing).

Take a look at Fanatic Fringe top quilts and maybe bring along some exta clothing. Why not use all your insulation to sleep in? Don't carry more than you need.

In situations where you might guess a little optimistically on the low temps, you can carry a silnylon vapor barrier and use that inside your bag to lower the min. temp. rating by as much as 10 degrees for a few ounces. Also, you can use a VBL as a pack liner.

Footslogger
10-05-2006, 18:06
Watch for a sale at REI (or use your dividend check) on the SubKilo. 20 degree down bag.

'Slogger

Blissful
10-05-2006, 19:32
The Cat's Meow is on sale right now at REI. Good deal.

Blissful
10-05-2006, 19:34
The Cat's Meow is on sale right now at REI. Good deal.

Sale starts tomorrow.

nchiker467
10-05-2006, 19:54
i think ill go with down .....or the cats meow aghhh cant decide !!
how bulky is the tnf cats meow, would it fit easy in a gg vt? then agian down would compress smaller, but i dont want to risk getting it wet and having a cold night...

Blissful
10-05-2006, 20:55
There have been plenty of discusson about whether one gets wet with down on the AT vs the bulk of synthetic. You might do a search on that with the various threads. For me, I plan on a bigger backpack so I can tote my synthetic bag, but it's a matter of choice. I personally like the security of having synthetic and I like my bag. But lots of hikers also carry down without any problems. You can also compress synthetic with a compression sack - it will still be bigger though and heavier than down. For me, after being in a tough situation in the Whites with a wet down bag (we had a bad time there, having to go off trail down a waterfall to escape lightning), I still will go with my synthetic, (though the down is tempting, for sure).

The Will
10-05-2006, 23:12
With respect to the poster who had the unfortunate experience in the White Mountains and got his sleeping bag wet...
I think it takes an exceptional experience to truly wet out a down bag. I agree that the barriers provided by the backpack itself and a rain-fly over the pack are not adequate in all conditions to keep water from entering a pack and potentially getting ones sleeping bag wet. I use a water proof stuff sack (taped seams, roll-top closer, made by Outdoor Research) and this provides me with the security to take my down bag anywhere, whether paddling or overland. Of course, if I used a synthetic bag I would still take the same precaution of using a waterproof stuff sack.

ScottP
10-05-2006, 23:24
Your sleeping bag is the most important piece of gear you own. I would say do what you can to save $$ on other gear, or find a way to earn more money. Alternately, make your own quilt.

Earl Grey
10-05-2006, 23:29
Take a look at the Marmot Sawtooth.

Blissful
10-05-2006, 23:36
With respect to the poster who had the unfortunate experience in the White Mountains and got his sleeping bag wet....
I think it takes an exceptional experience to truly wet out a down bag. .

Well, one lives and learns as we go through these things. Needless to say, it was an exceptional experience in and of itself, especially since our bail out trail off the ridge near Mt Washington in the t-storm - the Sphynx trail, was one big waterfall in a gorge d/t all the rain and we had to drag our packs down it one by one. We also fell several times. I would never say that one would go through that kind of event on an AT thru, but I learned quite a bit from it. And I found out the stuff sacks that come with your sleeping bag are NOT waterproof. And rain covers don't always stay on the way they should when dragging a pack down a rushing gorge. Good learning experience.
BTW - our bags were not soaked through all the way. But damp. There was enough loft for the night. Glad it was summer.

Natchez
10-06-2006, 00:14
I always put my down bag in sil stuff sack and a trash compactor bag tied water proof every time every trip. I have never understood the whole wet bag argument anyway if it is 30 degrees outside and my bag down or synthetic is soaked I am not climbing in it. One would freeze before they could warm up a wet bag. I would find or make some shelter, build a fire, and use my space blanket. You can build a fire with soaked wood. Better yet just do not gt your bag wet ever.

I like that Campmore down bag for the money. A 550 down bag can be very warm just a bit heavier.

A down bag will last a long time if you take care of it

Every Blessing

attroll
10-06-2006, 00:16
Watch for a sale at REI (or use your dividend check) on the SubKilo. 20 degree down bag.

'Slogger
I just got done checking that bag out on REI and it says it weighs 1 lb 13 oz. Is that right Slogger?

Gaiter
10-06-2006, 03:04
Best sleeping bag I bought was only $15 -----> at a gear swap. It was barely used, its outside tag was marked as a Kelty 45*Long but when i got it home I realized it was a 20*. I could really use short, but i don't mind a few extra oz for $15. Look for gear swaps @ your local outfitters

Hanna

Footslogger
10-06-2006, 08:36
I just got done checking that bag out on REI and it says it weighs 1 lb 13 oz. Is that right Slogger?
========================================

Depends on the bag size. I have an older one (Circa 2000) and mine weights just a tad over 2lbs. Bought my wife a new "womens" style Subkilo in the short size and hers is 1lb 13oz.

Pretty hard bag to beat for the price. Carried mine on my 2003 thru. Laundered it when I got home and it came back looking like new and feels just as warm.

Based on my experience, if I was buying a replacement bag tomorrow I'd most like replace mine with another Subkilo

'Slogger

Almost There
10-06-2006, 09:03
Try a Cat's Meow first...they are "very" narrow. I can't even fit in one because of my shoulders. Personally, I don't like down bags below 600 fill, but that's me. I wouldn't buy anything but a summer down bag for under $200. I would go synthetic if you are worried about price, or like others have said scrimp elsewhere and buy yourself a quality bag.

Also check out the gear for sale threads here, you may find a quality bag within your price range. I know I for one am selling a Big Agnes Encampment for around $100. Only been used 5 or 6 nights, however, I don't expect to probably sell it here as it is a little heavier being synthetic, but there should also be other bags for sale there.

Check it out.

hobbit
10-06-2006, 09:49
I have the slumberjack baffin and I like it a lot its wider than most and warm but like the Campmor it is a china bag

rswanson
10-06-2006, 15:17
I own a North Face Blue Kazoo. It's basically the down version of the Cat's Meow. It's around the same price and weight but will compress smaller and will last longer than a comparable synthetic bag. Some other popular down bags in this range are the Marmot Sawtooth, Kelty Light Year 15, and Lafuma 800g.

Don't be afraid to go with down over synthetic. As you probably know, down has a better warmth-to-weight ratio, better durability and compressibility. While I've read hundreds of posts warning about wet down bags, I've only heard a few isolated occurances where someone's bag actually got wet. With proper precations you'd have to expose your bag to repeated, prolonged moisture to see any appreciable effect to its loft. I might bring a synthetic bag on a paddling trip but that's about it. And I'd bet you're not going to get any sleep in a soaked synthetic bag anyway.

That being said, you really do get what you pay for when it comes to sleeping bags. If you can beg, borrow, or steal you way to an increased budget, go with something like the Marmot Helium, Western Mountaineering Ultralight Super, Feathered Friends Hummingbird, or Montbell Stretch Down Hugger #1. Any of these are going to run around $100 more than the aforementioned bags but will all be around a pound lighter than those and their temp ratings are generally accurate (opr conservative, even). Your bag is more than likely going to be your most expensive piece of gear.

nchiker467
10-06-2006, 20:21
thanks for the replies, im going with the nf cats meow or a down bag, so any good down bag in the $200 range?

JJB
10-06-2006, 21:09
I own a THF Cat's Meow, it's a pretty good and durable bag. I would much rather have a good syn. bag than a cheesy down bag. I own both the 0' REI Mountain Lite and Mountain Hardwear Phantom 32' down bags. And love them both. But I also have a fear of wetting them out in the early spring/fall, so I carry the Cat at those times. But one other 20' bag you might check out is the REI one. Like I said I have realy liked my 0' a bunch.
Peace JJB.

JJB
10-06-2006, 21:16
My last should of read EMS mountain lite. And they are just about $200 even.

halftime
10-14-2006, 00:21
REI Majave is on sale in online catalogue. (I think it is around $120)

If you need more more room you might also check out Kelty's Light Year Series (15* or 25*) Both have a 62" girth. Both under $200.
25* = 2lb 3oz.
15* = 2lb 11oz.

Per REI published specs.

SteveJ
10-14-2006, 18:49
Your sleeping bag is the most important piece of gear you own. I would say do what you can to save $$ on other gear, or find a way to earn more money. Alternately, make your own quilt.

best $150 or so that i've spent on gear was for a thru-hiker quilt kit! now the week or so i spent learning how to was also pretty interesting!

Tinker
10-15-2006, 00:34
My last should of read EMS mountain lite. And they are just about $200 even.

Should have, you Yankee, you.!:D You tawk like a Rode Aylandah.:o

Blissful
10-17-2006, 23:56
Well, got my son the Cat's Meow and he said it was too narrow for his liking. So have to return it.

Could kick myself that I didn't take him to a gear store and try out bags first.

Moral of this lesson - go to a gear store and see what bag you like before you decide to buy online (don't just take another person's word or review either).

Pokey2006
10-18-2006, 00:57
Very important to get a bag that fits. You don't want to restrictive, but also don't want one too big -- who wants to carry excess sleeping bag?

The REI Subkilo gets my vote. I got mine on sale for $70, and was beyond happy with it. Even full price should be less than $200.

Also, don't worry about a down bag getting wet. It is, indeed, possible to keep a few things dry, even in the pouring rain.

Johnny Swank
10-18-2006, 09:43
I'm not a huge fan of REI, but that Subkilo bag is pretty sweet. I'd swallow my pride and pick it up if I was in the market for a 20 degree bag. Great price/weight/performance ratio.

nchiker467
10-20-2006, 22:57
Im going with a down sleeping bag now. tryed some sleeping bags out at the store,The down compressed so much better than synthetic.So any one reccomend a good down bag for about $200?

nchiker467
10-20-2006, 23:01
i dont like to order sleeping bags , and its problably gonna be a marmot (like the only sleeping bags black dome stocks)