PDA

View Full Version : tent poles and air planes

mcgiver
10-05-2006, 18:47
this might not be the right spot for this but what do yall think about tent poles in my packwheni fly? is there some way to maybe protect them from getting bent or is it jsut taking a chance

Kevin A. Boyce
10-06-2006, 09:28
If you are checking them in, just pack some clothes or your sleeping pad around them, pretty much anything to pad them, they should be fine. I just was in Alask back in August and even with the number of plane changes coming and going, I had no problems with them or my trekking poles either. My partners had no issues either, just pad them well...

Kevin A. Boyce
10-06-2006, 09:29
To edit my previous response...

That is if you are checking in your luggage... I had everything in a large travel duffel that worked great.

Emsadida
10-06-2006, 09:58
You could always put the poles in a strong cardboard tube inside the duffel bag. If your poles are bent after that, you'll probably be dead or something else rather nasty happened...

The Weasel
10-06-2006, 13:14
"Splint" your poles with a 2"x2" piece of wood ("a two by two") by wrapping them in CLEAR PLASTIC and then taping the package around the wood. The wood will fully protect them, better even than a cardboard tube), and the plastic being clear makes them visible to the TSA. Works for metal or fibreglas poles, it's what I always do.

The Weasel

twosticks
10-06-2006, 14:26
How about just wrapping your sleeping pad around them? I roll my pad up and you can easily shove them into it, then put them in your pack.