PDA

View Full Version : hiked the Franconia Ridge Loop today!

reba
10-05-2006, 21:14
Man am I beat, challenging but fun! It was my first real solo hike! :banana I am siked to have completed it. At Mt Layfayette summit very cold, no view, too cloudy. The pine and rock had frost. About 8 people on the summit.

On my way down the fell on some rocky areas:rolleyes: but not too bad, had to get through a few waterfalls!

All in all great day, anyone do this Loop?

MOWGLI
10-05-2006, 21:17
Man am I beat, challenging but fun! It was my first real solo hike! :banana I am siked to have completed it. At Mt Layfayette summit very cold, no view, too cloudy. The pine and rock had frost. About 8 people on the summit.

On my way down the fell on some rocky areas:rolleyes: but not too bad, had to get through a few waterfalls!

One day I'll hike that ridge in clear weather. How many miles was the loop Reba? I've only hiked the AT through there.

reba
10-05-2006, 21:28
It is about ten miles, I made pretty good time, kept a good pace, I rested at the Greenleaf Hut and waited for the clouds to clear up but I started at 10am and finished about 4:15pm.

TJ aka Teej
10-05-2006, 22:44
Man am I beat, challenging but fun! It was my first real solo hike!

Welcome to WB, Reba! Nice report of your climb up into winter!

Blissful
10-05-2006, 23:25
We were fortunate to have nice weather for our hike along the Franconia Ridge a few years back. We came up the Falling Waters Trail, went along the AT then down the Old Bridle Path. Great hike!

Tinker
10-06-2006, 00:33

I've done that loop many times. I cut my teeth in the White Mountains, and learned to love distance hiking by "knocking off" four thousand footers.
Pictures from you?

illusionistG
10-06-2006, 11:10
Reba...my son and I did the exact loop and direction in Aug. When we finally came above treeline on Little Haystack it was worth it. We could see for miles.

A follow up to Tinker's comments on 4k and above summits. You just qualified as summiting Little Haystack, Mt Lincoln, and Mt. Lafayette. Keep a talley and see how many you summit as the years go by, and become a member of the 4k peakbaggers.
Congrats !!!!

vipahman
10-06-2006, 12:39

Good job! Solo hikes can be very rewarding because they offer so much time for introspection and contemplation. Take it easy on the descents. That's what will hurt your knees the most in years to come.

Old Hillwalker
10-06-2006, 14:58
I'm planning on doing the loop, up Bridle Path across the Ridge, and down Falling Waters Sunday night under the full moon.. Anyone wanna come along? I've solo night hiked Crawford Path from the notch to Lakes of the Crowds and back before, but I live lots closer to Franconia Notch nowadays.

reba
10-07-2006, 00:22
Becareful down Falling Waters at night, I slipped a few times! I really don't suggest this at night, the path is pretty rocky!:eek:

illusionistG
10-07-2006, 22:45
Hillwalker..I agree with Reba, be very careful on the descent while on Falling Waters Trail (especially at night/early morning. It is very steep and follows a stream closely - to include several stream crossings - the last half section of the trail till you arrive at the Lafayette Place trailhead parking lot.

I hope the weather accommodates your plans. Best of luck.

I'm planning on doing the loop, up Bridle Path across the Ridge, and down Falling Waters Sunday night under the full moon.. Anyone wanna come along? I've solo night hiked Crawford Path from the notch to Lakes of the Crowds and back before, but I live lots closer to Franconia Notch nowadays.

TJ aka Teej
10-09-2006, 08:34
8AM yesterday (Sat Oct 8) the trailhead parking lot was completely full with cars parked all the way out on the grass by the entrance! It was a beautiful fall day after a foggy ride up 93. Took the kids up the gondola on Cannon Mountain, hiked up the Beaver Brook Trail to the shelter, and then drove over to Orford for pumpkins. Foliage was well past, but we had lots of fun anyway.

JJB
10-09-2006, 09:42
This summer did a loop that went in at Liberty Springs north over Lafayette to Garfield then south down the Pemi Brook trail and back north on the Osseo and back out at Liberty Springs. Lafayette was very cool, lots of people but still neat. Oh ya and in July the black flys were f'n incredable!!!
Even way up, 3500'+. If you are up in that area again check out the Bonds.
Not quite as high, but (at least to me) alot more dramatic views and less people. Bond cliff is definately worth the trip. Peace JJB.

Kerosene
10-10-2006, 09:27
I was really enticed by the side trail leading off to Bondcliff when we passed through last month. It was already going to be an unplanned 14-mile day to Crawford Notch, so I took the left turn to the summit of Mt. Guyot (after which all blazing stopped for a mile!!!).