PDA

View Full Version : Jetboil fuel

twosticks
10-06-2006, 09:52
So I've read everywhere that you can't use other fuel in the Jetboil system because of the specific blend. So not wanting to blow myself up, has anyone tried another type and what was the outcome? Thanks.

Long feet
10-06-2006, 11:41
Hey Twosticks,

On my car camping trip to the outer banks last month I killed my jetboil cannister. I plugged in a larger snow peak cannister and it worked fine. I don't think that it is the brand that matter, but the mixture. Isobutane is a mix between propane and butane. That is what you need to look for. By the way, the snow peak cannisters cheaper, but they don't fit in the jetboil. I think there may be other companies that make the smaller cannisters though. Good luck.

Just Jeff
10-06-2006, 12:40
JB says that for two reasons - to sell more of their own brand, and to protect against liability for an accident.

The issue is the connection between cannister and stove. The threading has to match, and the height of the cannister's nipple has to be within tolerance. If either of these is different, it's unsafe, can cause leaks that may lead to explosion, etc.

That said, most cannisters of this type are manufactured to the same specs so they're all safe. I've used SnowPeak and some other I can't recall at the moment - I don't think I've ever used a JB cannister. I haven't had any problems. Just check to see if it fits before you hike out. If it feels secure and you don't detect any leakage (hissing, smell, etc), then you should be ok.

There are several threads here on WB about which cannisters people have used with JBs...search around if you want to know more. But the short answer is - other cannisters work fine w/ JB.

Tinker
10-06-2006, 12:52
I believe that Jetboil fuel has a slightly higher percentage of propane than most other fuels.
Coleman, however, has (or had, last year, when I checked) the most of all Lindahl (sp?) valve fuel cannisters on the market. I've used Coleman cannisters on my PocketRocket and on my Vargo Jet-ti without any problems. That's probably what you're concerned about.

Don't worry.

If you do worry about anything, worry that your cannister might not be screwed on tightly enough, then check it and forget it. Enjoy yourself.:)

Just Jeff
10-06-2006, 12:56
The propane/butane/isobutane mixture matters for cold weather performance. I don't think it matters from a safety point of view. I'm not aware of any unsafe fuel mixtures in camp stove cannisters, but I'm not an expert on it.

Ewker
10-06-2006, 13:15
a few yrs ago a Jetboil rep was at a local gear store doing a demo. He was using the Snowpeak canisters. IMO Snowpeak is probably making them with the Jetboil name on it

twosticks
10-06-2006, 13:25
Thanks for the info guys. If I do happen to ignite myself, I'll let you know.

Jack Tarlin
10-07-2006, 01:57
Twosticks:

According to the Jetboil folks, the JB system works better (i.e. burns hotter and faster) with a Jet Boil cannister.

I see no reason to doubt that this is true; it's alledgedly something to do with the fuel mix.

On the other hand, I've operated my JB with any number of other cannisters (MSR, SnowPeak, etc.) and the stove works fine, in fact I can't detect any real difference in efficiency, speed of cooking, etc.

The quick answer to your question is you can use cannisters from other companies; you won't suffer any loss of power/efficiency by doing so; and you won't blow yourself up.

hopefulhiker
10-07-2006, 11:59
I used MSR, Snowpeak with my Jetboil, The Jet boil cannisters were more expensive...

neo
10-07-2006, 13:52
i use snow peak,its a dollar cheaper,a better cold weather blend,plus a 5 more gram to the can,snow peak is all i use in my jet boil,i dont use jet boil fuel at all:cool: neo

adh24
10-11-2006, 10:02
To reiterate what everyone else has been saying snow peak is fine.

hopefulhiker
10-11-2006, 16:22
This may have changed, but in 2005, the small cannisters that fit inside the jetboil were not available everwhere and you had to carry the bigger heavier cannisters..