PDA

View Full Version : Minnesota Smith's Knife?

max patch
10-06-2006, 12:03
New Swiss Army knife by Wenger. Weighs in at 2 lbs, 11 ounces.

http://www.outdoorlife.com/outdoor/photogallery/article/0,20036,1145810_1304110,00.html

The Most Incredible Knife
Here are all 85 tools included in Giant Knife, Version 1.0:

1. 2.5” 60% Serrated locking blade
2. Nail file, nail cleaner
3. Corkscrew
4. Adjustable pliers with wire crimper and cutter
5. Removable screwdriver bit adapter
6. 2.5” Blade for Official World Scout Knife
7. Spring-loaded, locking needle-nose pliers with wire cutter
8. Removable screwdriver bit holder
9. Phillips head screwdriver bit 0
10. Phillips head screwdriver bit 1
11. Phillips head screwdriver bit 2
12. Flat head screwdriver bit 0.5 mm x 3.5 mm
13. Flat head screwdriver bit 0.6 mm x 4.0 mm
14. Flat head screwdriver bit 1.0 mm x 6.5 mm
15. Magnetized recessed bit holder
16. Double-cut wood saw with ruler (inch & cm)
17. Bike chain rivet setter, removable 5m allen wrench, screwdriver for slotted and Phillips head screws
18. Removable tool for adjusting bike spokes, 10m hexagonal key for nuts
19. Removable 4mm curved allen wrench with Phillips head screwdriver
20. Removable 10mm hexagonal key
21. Patented locking Phillips head screwdriver
22. Universal wrench
23. Laser pointer with 300 ft. range
24. 1.65” Clip point utility blade
25. Metal saw, metal file
26. 4 mm allen wrench
27. 2.5” blade
28. Fine metal file with precision screwdriver
29. Double-cut wood saw
30. Cupped cigar cutter with double-honed edges
31. 12/20-Gauge choke tube tool
32. Watch caseback opening tool
33. Snap shackle
34. Telescopic pointer
35. Compass, straight edge, ruler (in./cm)
36. Mineral crystal magnifier with precision screwdriver
37. 2.4” Springless scissors with serrated, self-sharpening design
38. Shortix key
39. Flashlight
40. Fish scaler, hook disgorger, line guide
41. Micro tool holder
42. Micro tool adapter
43. Micro scraper-straight
44. Reamer
45. Fine fork for watch spring bars
46. Pin punch 1.2 mm
47. Pin punch .8 mm
48. Round needle file
49. Removable tool holder with expandable receptacle
50. Removable tool holder
51. Multi-purpose screwdriver
52. Flat Phillips head screwdriver
53. Flat head screwdriver bit 0.5 mm x 3.5 mm
54. Spring loaded, locking flat nose nose-pliers with wire cutter
55. Phillips head screwdriver bit 0
56. Phillips head screwdriver bit 1
57. Phillips head screwdriver bit 2
58. Flat head screwdriver bit 0.5 mm x 3.5 mm
59. Flat head screwdriver bit 0.6 mm x 4.0 mm
60. Flat head screwdriver bit 1.0 mm x 6.5 mm
61. Can opener
62. Phillips head screwdriver
63. 2.5” Clip point blade
64. Golf club face cleaner
65. 2.4” Round tip blade
66. Patented locking screwdriver, cap lifter, can opener
67. Golf shoe spike wrench
68. Golf divot repair tool
69. Micro straight-curved
70. Special tool holder
71. Phillips head screwdriver 1.5mm
72. Screwdriver 1.2 mm
73. Screwdriver .8 mm
74. Mineral crystal magnifier, fork for watch spring bars, small ruler
75. Removable screwdriver bit holder
76. Magnetized recessed bit holder
77. Tire tread gauge
78. Reamer/awl
79. Patented locking screwdriver, cap lifter, wire stripper
80. Special Key
81. Toothpick
82. Tweezers
83. Adapter
84. Key ring
85. Second key ring

John B
10-06-2006, 12:11
Correction: total weight would be 5 lbs. 6 oz. One knife to carry, one to haul in pack as a backup.

Dances with Mice
10-06-2006, 12:16
And just in time for Christmas.

I ought to get one of those because I lost the toothpick from my SAK, this would be a good way to replace it.

MOWGLI
10-06-2006, 12:34
Even MS wouldn't carry this stupid knife. It doesn't have a bear spray attachment. ;)

Tinker
10-06-2006, 12:59
........buy Victorinox.

The can opener on the Wenger takes twice as long to open cans as the Victorinox. (Works like a P-38, slowly).

I like my Victorinox Adventurer because it has a long locking blade, good bottle and can opener, medium standard screwdriver and #2 Phillips screwdriver. That's all I'll ever need (actually, I could do with a smaller blade, I just like the locking feature - especially after folding the blade of a near-new, razor sharp knife on my fingers as a kid :eek: ).

Re: The original post - I think I'll hold off until they add the folding chainsaw blade :D .

D'Artagnan
10-06-2006, 13:03
And only $1,200.00...

Alligator
10-06-2006, 13:04
It needs a small sleeve of TP.

The Weasel
10-06-2006, 13:08
Even MS wouldn't carry this stupid knife. It doesn't have a bear spray attachment. ;)

Jeez, Mowgli, how can you be so dense? I mean *** is with this "no bear spray attachment" whining? You can bloody screw the bear at least 12 times with the screwdrivers, blind him with the laser pointer, pull his claws out with the pliers, ream him with the reamer, and still have 50 more things to slash, stab, poke and generally mess with him about before you use the cigar cutter (hence my use of the masculine pronoun) on him. I mean sheesh...you wanna do all that AND spray the poor furball?

This is probably the most essential knife created for trailhikers since the legendary machete-shovel-survival-tool-with-compass-and-secret-compartment-for-matches was first issed to Steven Katz. So be grateful for good things, ok?

The Weasel --->to Wenger to buy three or four to carry on the trail

MOWGLI
10-06-2006, 13:19
You can bloody screw the bear at least 12 times

Um.... I think there's a law against that. If not, there should be.

The Weasel
10-06-2006, 13:27
There ain't no law 'gainst screwin' bears, not on the AT they ain't. Remember, I am not merely A weasel, but THE Weasel, as in lawyer-type weasels. So you go get your bear, and you screws him a dozen times, then you call me and I'll defend you so good that you get elected "Most Likely To" in the Possum County Jail.

This knife is GOOOD.

The Weasel

The Old Fhart
10-06-2006, 13:32
The Weasel-"So you go get your bear, and you screws him a dozen times, then you call me and I'll defend you so good that you get elected "Most Likely To" in the Possum County Jail."Ah, I knew something was missing from that knife-"duct tape, the handyman's secret weapon".;)

the goat
10-06-2006, 13:34
It needs a small sleeve of TP.

don't you mean six small sleves of TP?

Alligator
10-06-2006, 13:36
don't you mean six small sleves of TP?I guess it'll depend on how many backup knives he has:jump .

the goat
10-06-2006, 13:38
I guess it'll depend on how many backup knives he has:jump .
true, true.:D

mweinstone
10-06-2006, 20:28
what the hell are you all doing over here? get back where you belong. all of you!

it needs a good roofing trowel

for shelters.

emerald
10-06-2006, 21:35
It lacks a sharp fire shovel, a pick-mattock, a crow bar, a lopper, in addition to the aforementioned locking chain saw blade. And what good trail builder wouldn't want a grip-hoist!

The Weasel
10-06-2006, 21:49
Dude, this is NOT the "trail maintainer" knife. Sheesh. But if you had spent a moment to check it out, you'd see that REALLY the "divot" tool is a shovel and mattock, ALL IN ONE, and that the golf tool spike wrench works PERFECT as a crow bar. There's a saw for the lopper and if you open all 62 tools and push the whole damn thing back and forth at about 620 cycles per minute, it works just find as a chain saw.

I'm even told (please don't pass it on, this is secret) that Ray Jardine has agreed that this tool constitutes everything you need for TRUE ultralight backpacking, replacing shelter, food, water and all the rest of those now-useless things.

Perfection, and for only a gigazillion dollars. Dang.

The Weasel

emerald
10-06-2006, 22:11
[stuff omitted] the golf tool spike wrench works PERFECT as a crow bar. [other stuff omitted] Perfection, and for only a gigazillion dollars. Dang.

The Weasel

Overall dimensions of the golf tool spike wrench? And is it hardened? I'd be afraid I'd bend it. I believe in building stuff that lasts!

What sort of warranty does it carry in the event I'd bend it?

Nothing that is the best is too expensive, but I'm just a bit leery of these multiple use tools.

Topcat
10-07-2006, 09:02
So has Minnesota Smith become the adjective for any gear that is heavy and overkill?

emerald
10-07-2006, 10:46
So has Minnesota Smith become the adjective for any gear that is heavy and overkill?

I'm not keen on the idea of Minnesota Smith used as an adjective in this manner and you might be about to invoke the full wrath Matthewski if you persist.:eek: Be forewarned and procede with caution down that path.;)

Heavy is a good adjective, sometimes implying that the item described is sturdily constructed, well-built and more than adequate to the task for which it is intended. Not knowing in advance what may be required, I would rather carry an item heavier than I actually require, rather than risk failure of the item, especially if my life depends upon it.

It's often those who talk of overkill who get themselves in trouble. You rarely hear about people who outfit themselves with proper gear except when people speak of their accomplishments.

That said, I have no interest in the knife. A sword would be more useful in my opinion. This knife is just something for collectors.

Gaiter
10-07-2006, 13:19
really? they don't actually make this do they?????

max patch
10-07-2006, 14:10
really? they don't actually make this do they?????

If you have $1,200 they'll be happy to sell you a knife....