PDA

View Full Version : Recommended youth pack?

SteveJ
10-06-2006, 17:08
Hi, all. My 11-y.o. is crossing over to the Boy Scout troop in Dec. & I’m thinking a new pack is on his Christmas list. He inherited an older Jansport Scout from his oldest brother. I have several issues w/ the pack – weight for the volume, uncomfortable (skinny waist has hard time holding pack up, which results in top of frame bonking on the head), etc.

Desired criteria:
~3,000 c.i.
Waist belt that will fit a skinny waist
< 2 lbs

I’ve looked online at the Deuter Fox, which some recommend, but 2.5 lbs for 1,850 c.i. seems heavy – of course the $79 price explains the heavier material….. Should I just take him to REI & see what fits? Anyone have experience w/ the REI comet pack?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions/ideas!

Steve

The Weasel
10-06-2006, 17:17
Steve: This from a Scoutmaster since 1981 (and still have the mind of an 11 year old!)......

Most parents buy a pack for their new Scout all the wrong ways, based on the "bells and whistles" approach to backpacks. If your son can accept the "less is cool" approach to things, DON'T over-buy a pack. Several thoughts:

First, too much capacity is bad, since every backpacker usually "fills to fit" their pack, i.e., if there is more room, more stuff goes in it. That means if he has to carry the damn thing more than 10 feet, he's dying. And seeing the older boys do just fine - remember, they're bigger and probably pack better - he ends up thinking he's a loser (and quits) or that backpacking is miserable (and quits).

Second, he's 11. Any pack you buy for him, even adjustable, is going to be too small in not much more than a year, or at most two. Check with some of the other families for good packs that their sons have outrgrown. If you have to buy one, keep it small, as mentioned, and fit it to his frame.

Third, ask your Scoutmaster how many actual times in the coming year his Scouts (including ones your son's age) will need to carry a backpack. You may be surprised to find that most events are "base camping" for which a duffle bag makes the most sense, and also that some events (particularly backpacking trips) are not always open to the younger Scouts. That means you may be buying a pack for as few as 2 or 3 weekenders.

Lastly, as far as brands go, while you may get some useful ideas here, go to the first campout your son is at and look at the packs of all the other kids. Ask them - not the dads or moms - what they think of them, and what they have used them for. They're the best 'product reviewers.'

The Weasel

ShakeyLeggs
10-06-2006, 17:21
Heres what I started my sons out with. Very good pack and grows with them.

http://tinyurl.com/qgttr

The Weasel
10-06-2006, 17:23
A couple further comments after re-reading your post----

Think about a small packbag, rather than a frame. 11 year old boys just don't have hips, and it's impossible to find external frame packs and even internals that a kid can snug the belt to. For another year or so, there's not much you can do about that.

1850 cu in is about right for that age, by the way. Better investment (and my general recommendation to new parents) is a good highly compressible sleeping bag. That can be oversize (i.e. adult size) and keep him warm, and makes a LOT more sense for a kid new to backpacking. It's hilarious - but rough on the kid - to see them with the huge rolled up bags that are as big as a house on top of their packs, trying to walk. And a small bag will go better with a small pack.

The Weasel

Just Jeff
10-06-2006, 17:33
Mine started with school backpacks and that was fine for light loads. We also used the Outdoor Products Dragonfly, which was cheap ($40, IIRC) but pretty heavy for what it is (~4 lbs). Now we have the Deuter Fox 30, which seems perfect for my 11yo. Plenty of volume if you have a compressible bag...echoing The Weasel's suggestions about buying a packable bag. I think that's more important than a good pack as long as you keep the weight down.

More links to packs and other gear here:
http://www.tothewoods.net/HikingWithKids.html

trailale
10-06-2006, 17:57
EMS makes a good kids' pack. Just a scaled down adult pack. Ascent I think it's called.

Blissful
10-06-2006, 18:47
We picked up REI UL 45s for our troop when they were on sale at REI for 30 bucks. Ultra light, limited capacity. We needed two different sizes - the medium and the large for the different kids. We have some pretty big kids for their ages, though.

SteveJ
10-06-2006, 19:40
Thanks for the advice, Weasel....

Steve: This from a Scoutmaster since 1981 (and still have the mind of an 11 year old!)......

WHOO-HOO!

Most parents buy a pack for their new Scout all the wrong ways, based on the "bells and whistles" approach to backpacks.
I agree completely. This is actually my third son in Scouting- I'm the Troop Committee Chair of a pretty successful troop (8 Eagles this yr - including my 16 y.o., if he'll finish communications and make the nov eagle boards!)

If your son can accept the "less is cool" approach to things, DON'T over-buy a pack. Several thoughts:

First, too much capacity is bad, [clip]

I agree completely....but he's been carrying the 3000+cc Jansport scout pack - and likes to carry some things that are relativelt light, but bulky - I'm OK w/ that as long as the weight is low.....

Third, ask your Scoutmaster how many actual times in the coming year his Scouts (including ones your son's age) will need to carry a backpack. [clip]

the troop actually goes backpacking 3 or 4 times a yr - and he's been w/ the troop on 3 bp'ing trips, including a Jan trip to Shining Rock. He's been on me for 2 months to go backpacking again - my seasonal business is finally slowing down, so hope to get him out in Nov. Of my 3 sons, he's the only 1 enthusiastic about bp'ing, so I want to keep the exp. as positive as I can for him - hopefully, he's the one I'll get to Philmont with!

A couple further comments after re-reading your post----

Think about a small packbag, rather than a frame. [clip]

great idea. I'd love to find a scaled down version of my GGVT....but I'm not aware of anything on the market like that.....

Better investment (and my general recommendation to new parents) is a good highly compressible sleeping bag. [clip]

agreed on the bag - already taken care of - we bought him a youth sized 20-deg synth bag for Christmas last year....after he gets bigger I'll get him a down bag if he's still interested...

so my question is, is there a decent youth bacpack that's less than 2 lbs, between 2500 & 3000 CC?

did I mention that he's my favorite hiking buddy?

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=10478&catid=member&imageuser=6309

SteveJ
10-06-2006, 19:48
thanks for the info, shakeylegs, Jeff, and trailale. I'll take a further look.....

Steve

Just Jeff
10-06-2006, 19:51
If you want really light, I bet MLD would customize one. Worth an email, at least.
http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com/packs.php

SteveJ
10-06-2006, 20:16
If you want really light, I bet MLD would customize one. Worth an email, at least.
http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com/packs.php

thanks, jeff - that's the kind of idea i'm looking for! prolly a little more pricey than i'm willing to take on....will send them an email.....

The Weasel
10-06-2006, 20:28
Best "packbags" around are school bags. I've used a few of the medium size ones for weeklong trips.

scothiker
10-09-2006, 14:27
Blissful, my 11-year old son used an REI UL 45 for his last boy scout trip - a canoeing trip, not a long hike in - and it was almost impossible to get everything in the pack. I ended up lashing his thermarest to the bottom, and it wasn't very stable because the UL 45 doesn't seem to have anything to attach things to at the bottom. Also, this was just an overnight, and he didn't need to carry stove, food, etc., which I really don't think I could have squeezed in. Any thoughts?

DrewNC2005
10-09-2006, 14:43
Why not go with a small Golite Jam? I've never used one - tried one on though and felt good. I didn't read closely enough to see how big your 11yo is so even a small Jam might be too big. Jams are cheap, too.

jesse
10-09-2006, 14:46
hey Steve,
I am about two days away from finishing a Ray-Way pack(9.5 oz) for my 12 year old scout. Last month I made a RW quilt that weighs 25oz to replace his 5+lb sleeping bag. I live in Marietta, give me a PM if you want to take a look at it.

jesse
10-09-2006, 14:56
Sorry, should have added the link to the Ray-Way site. http://www.ray-way.com (http://www.ray-way.com/)

littlelaurel59
10-09-2006, 22:02
My son, now age 13, has been using a Kelty Yukon external frame pack since moving into BSA almost 3 years ago. The hip belt & shoulder straps have fit well. As a youth pack, it is narrower than an "adult" pack. It is a bit heavy for volume, but comfortable and easy to organize. Organizing a backpack takes practice, and I consider extra pockets an advantage for beginners. The pack has worked well for him on two 18-20 mile weekend trips over the past 2 years.

This Christmas, he is getting a GG Nimbus Ozone now that he is reaching adult proportions. I figure it will be the last pack I buy for him. I will sell the Kelty to an incoming scout (we have a regular hand-me-down system in our troop).

littlelaurel59
10-10-2006, 13:01
Better hope your son don't see this!

He won't. He doesn't subscribe to WB. He spends all his computer time Instant Messaging his friends. For the life of me, I can't understand why someone spends so much time typing messages back and forth on a computer!!!

Wait a minute...what am I saying:-? .

SteveJ
10-10-2006, 21:28
thanks, again, for the suggestions. don't want to take on a dyi project (hand surgery 3 wks ago - can't type 1-handed - would really screw up my wife's fancy sewing machine!).... will take a look at pack bags and the golite.....

it's amazing how much time the kids spend on those darn 'puters, isn't it?!:eek:

SteveJ
10-14-2006, 18:31
just thought i'd update those who are interested....

someone recommended the women's mountainsmith seraph - fits down to a 15" torso, 2800cc, 32 ozs. Picked one up at Sierra Trading Post for $56!

copythat
10-18-2006, 12:42
Why not go with a small Golite Jam? I've never used one - tried one on though and felt good. I didn't read closely enough to see how big your 11yo is so even a small Jam might be too big. Jams are cheap, too.

my 5'3" daughter LOVES her small jam. bag has an 18" torso, IIRC.
looking forward to my smaller girl (9 yrs, 14" torso) growing into one. she uses a deuter fox now. it's ok, too. just burns me up to see so **** many long straps and heavy buckles, and aluminum stays (removeable if you have the patience). kinda like a parachute harness.

BTW, mountain laurel (now closed for 'renovations') promises to have UL packs for kids when they open in the spring (he said with fingers crossed). i think that's mentioned further down in this thread.

David335
03-20-2007, 19:11
I am a 14 year old Life Scout in my troop. I just got a gregory but that might be a little pricey for a 11 yo. Also you might consider a gregory g http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=39171528&memberId=12500226
or z pack In our troop we start the kids with external frame packs, But if you don't like that consider getting him a nice North Face School bag i use one for day hikes and as my school back pack. Mine (the slingshot) has a hip belt and a sturdy back and they are cheaper than other packs if you are worried about growth.

David335
03-20-2007, 20:05
sorry forgot to mention that i have had my slingshot fot 2 years and i have grown at least 6 inches and the pack still fits fine and i can still carry heavy loads with it

SteveJ
03-20-2007, 21:54
I am a 14 year old Life Scout in my troop. I just got a gregory but that might be a little pricey for a 11 yo. Also you might consider a gregory g http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=39171528&memberId=12500226
or z pack In our troop we start the kids with external frame packs, But if you don't like that consider getting him a nice North Face School bag i use one for day hikes and as my school back pack. Mine (the slingshot) has a hip belt and a sturdy back and they are cheaper than other packs if you are worried about growth.

sorry forgot to mention that i have had my slingshot fot 2 years and i have grown at least 6 inches and the pack still fits fine and i can still carry heavy loads with it

Thanks for the comments, David, and welcome to WB :welcome

I'm very familiar w/ the Gregory packs, and you're right, they're a little expensive for an 11 y.o.! He's doing well w/ the Mountainsmith pack we bought for him (about 1.5 pounds!), with his total pack weight on our winter trips being around 14 pounds! Our spring camporee this year has 'backpacking' as it's theme - different troops are presenting different things about backpacking: personal gear, food, patrol gear, etc. - we're going this weekend, then have a backpacking trip planned for April!

so, do you have an idea for your eagle scout project yet? ;)

Steve

David335
03-21-2007, 08:25
Ya I remeber when i went to the National Jamboree 2 years ago ( the one where the people from alaska were electocuted) and every troop you met did things diffrently. Fortunatly for me my troop is backpacking centrice. We treat every campout as a backpacking trip often hiking around the campsite for hours to break the new scouts in for our real trips on the AT. As for my eagle project, I am considreing many things one ideas is that my church was built in 1880 and it is beggining to fall apart. But i was also thinking of restoring some trails in a nearby park.
Hope your sun is happy with his pack. It took me 6 months of reaserch and then presenting my findings to my father to get an internal frame.

SteveJ
03-21-2007, 19:49
Ya I remeber when i went to the National Jamboree 2 years ago ( the one where the people from alaska were electocuted) and every troop you met did things diffrently. Fortunatly for me my troop is backpacking centrice. We treat every campout as a backpacking trip often hiking around the campsite for hours to break the new scouts in for our real trips on the AT.

sounds like you have a great troop!

As for my eagle project, I am considreing many things one ideas is that my church was built in 1880 and it is beggining to fall apart. But i was also thinking of restoring some trails in a nearby park.

either sound great - my 17 y.o. did a prayer garden at our church in memory of the associate pastor's wife who died. don't waste a lot of time, tho! His first write-up of his project proposal was dated January 2005 - we finally turned all his paperwork to the council for Eagle Scout - last Friday!

Hope your sun is happy with his pack. It took me 6 months of reaserch and then presenting my findings to my father to get an internal frame.

yeah, he is - and good for your father! we got a great deal on his since it was a discontinued model, so won't be a big deal to upgrade if he wants to in a few years..

Keep up the good work!

Steve

chperry
03-25-2007, 21:50
My oldest son (12) has a Kelty Yukon Youth which is too heavy for its capacity. My youngest son (9) has the Jansport Scout which has more capacity and weighs a pound less. If I had it to do over, both would have the Jansport. I would love to get them into an internal frame pack, but they still think external frame packs are "cool".

David335
04-01-2007, 21:25
ya i used to use a kelty external frame. I hated it.