PDA

View Full Version : Newfound Gap to Davenport

sarnott
10-08-2006, 13:40
I am hoping if I can get some information about the appalachian trail from Newfound Gap to davenport gap in the Great Smoky Mountains.

thanks,

Sly
10-08-2006, 13:47
What kind of info?

It's fairly strenuous, about 35 miles and you need permits from the Park. Don't forget to check out Charlies Bunion and the Mt Cammerer fire tower.

twowheeler
11-21-2006, 01:51
without a doubt, the section right from newfound to peck's shelter are some of the most amazing miles on the at, provided you don't get fogged in!

anneandbenhike
11-21-2006, 09:40
I just did that section in three days, two nights in mid-October. The hike was very nice, the shelters are all "refurbished" i.e. they all have cooking porches and benches so lots of room if it is raining. They all have privies. The shelters have two levels with plenty of room. I hiked the whole AT stretch in the park and there was not a single mouse, though we saw a dead one away from the shelter! It is a LONG walk down to the Peck's Corner shelter but the fall colors were incredible. Newfound to Davenport is a really nice stretch to hike. A big part of it is ridge walking with very steep edges on the trail and we had very strong winds for three days. Charlie's Bunion is a few miles out of the Gap and well worth seeing even if it is cloudy, better if it is clear! Don't miss Mt. Cammerer on the last day, especially if it is a nice day. It is well worth the extra .6 mile. We never had our permit checked but we saw the ridgerunner once and he asked if we had one. He is now gone (as of October 31st.). You do need a permit and can call one month ahead to get it. We parked our car at the Big Creek Ranger Station since Davenport Gap (or where most people park at Rt. 40) is not safe. We shuttled to Newfound Gap and picked up our other hiker partner and then went to Fontana. We used The Hike Inn in Fontana to shuttle us and we stayed at their hostel and got a shuttle to Fontana on the next morning. Jeff and Nancy are great. Have fun...this is a great section.

Chaco Taco
12-01-2006, 13:31
I am doing this section Fontana to Davenport Gap March 9 - 18 and am so excitted. Glad to hear that the shelters are all refurbished.
Warm days and cold nights and unpredictable weather. Sounds like a fun challenge to me!