PDA

View Full Version : Gaiter repair ?

springerfever
10-08-2006, 17:13
Looking for the best material to replace the instep 'strap' that keeps the gaiter from riding up the shoe. Thanks !!

Gaiter
10-08-2006, 17:46
ooh I've had the same problem, nothing seems to be durable enough in the fabric section of wally-world, i was going to check out joannes or that other big fabric store to see if they have something, i'll let you know.

Hanna

Phreak
10-08-2006, 18:02
I use kevlar laces on my gaiters. I've yet to have one break after 3 years of use.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
10-08-2006, 18:24
Kevlar laces was what I came to suggest - I see Phreak beat me to it. They are extremely durable.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
10-08-2006, 18:49
This is where I got mine. They are sold by places that supply clothing to firefighters. http://www.hanksclothing.com/Shoe%20Laces.html

springerfever
10-08-2006, 20:05
Thanks for posting the link. I know that kevlar is also used in some strings for tennis rackets, so a good tennis shop might also be a good source .

highway
10-08-2006, 20:58
I just cant see the need for gaiters at all.

Why do some few consider them so necessary to hike in?

Gaiters appear goofy looking to me, but thats just my opinion.:D

Tinker
10-08-2006, 21:20
I just cant see the need for gaiters at all.

Why do some few consider them so necessary to hike in?

Everyone's entitled!:)

Some goofy looking stuff works, so people use it. Gaiters keep lots of stuff out of low top shoes. If you're a high top user, you can skip them without much junk getting into your boots. Personally, I hate feeling pieces of sticks, pine needles, sand, and small stones in my shoes. Also, if I wear gaiters and spray them with Permethrin, I can keep most of the ticks off of me (of course, long pants work better). Btw, I hate hiking in hot weather with gaiters almost as much as I hate having to dump junk out of my shoes all the time, so, depending on the trail, sometimes I don't use them either.
I always wear gaiters in the winter (we have snow here) when I go hiking, and even when I shovel my driveway.

Krewzer
10-08-2006, 22:55

Goofy? Oh come on now.

Gaiters are not the "goofy looking" part of a hiker. Maybe the floppy hat...or the beard with ramen noodles hanging in it...or the "hasn't been washed in a week" tee shirt....or the yesterday's laundry pinned to the back of the pack...or rabbit's foot on a string...or the string bean legs hanging out of too big a pair britches...or the "born to be wild" bandana do-rag...or the Trail Daze Buzz cut on your daughter...or good gracious the goofy and precious stuff we hikers proudly display and cherish.
Heck, I think I've still got a glow in the dark "smiley face man in the moon" key chain I carried for luck...right next to the smallest thermometer in the world with an even smaller compass in the bottom right hand corner.

But not the gaiters.

BTW How was Carmen de Santiago. How about a trip report on another thread.

Gaiter
10-09-2006, 01:10
I like wearing mini-gaiters, they don't go much further past my boots. and they keep my boots, socks and feet much cleaner they also cover my laces protecting them. They stop rain from coming in as well

Hanna

chicote
10-09-2006, 11:19
I like gaiters too. They help keep my boots and pants clean. Which in turn helps keep my tent clean. If it's dewey outside they keep things dry. If the trail is wide and the need for using a gaiters is not there then they make for a good seat to keep your bum clean. They can be a multi-use item.

springerfever
10-09-2006, 18:10
Been using the OR low-gaiters for the last couple of years and they are a regular part of my gear. My pack has gotten fairly light and allowed me to swap to 12oz. Innov8 Terroc 330's w/Superfeet inserts. I use gaiters for a couple of reasons ; to keep debris out of the shoe, keep uppers and laces clean and keep my long pants clean, particularly the lower 24 inches of material. After finishing the day, gaiters come off and socks/pants and shoes are in pretty good shape for the next morning....Gaiters work for some (including me), but are 'goofy' to some also....whatever works for you.

Gaiter
10-12-2006, 21:27
Kevlar laces was what I came to suggest - I see Phreak beat me to it. They are extremely durable.

Do yall just kevlar laces for your gaitors or your shoes too, do they have any issues w/ being on hiking boots, since they are so strong do they damage the shoe any?