PDA

View Full Version : I Need A Partner Asap

IAMTHELAW70
10-08-2006, 18:57
i am looking for a partner male or female to join me on a through hike sometime in jan 2007. i would like to go at a pace of about 15-20 miles a day but i can be flexible. u can contact me at [email protected]

Frolicking Dinosaurs
10-08-2006, 19:02
I doubt you will be doing 15 to 20 miles a day in the snow and ice you will be encountering by starting in January. However, you will have the trail pretty much to yourself and the bears & snakes will still be asleep when you begin.

Butch Cassidy
10-08-2006, 19:19
We are leaving at the end of Feb. so I guess that wouldn't work. Also the Irony of Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid Hiking with someone named I AMTHELAW would just be too much to handle.:-? Good luck, Butch

Nean
10-09-2006, 00:07
i am looking for a partner male or female to join me on a through hike sometime in jan 2007. i would like to go at a pace of about 15-20 miles a day but i can be flexible. u can contact me at [email protected]

Well, the person is young.:welcome to WB btw. After seeing Squeaky I'll never say 15- 20 miles per day is out of reach.:-? Heckfire, I bet I could do it at my age.:)

IAMTHELAW70
10-09-2006, 01:41
when i was in the army 10,15,20 mile rucks were the regular not to say i wasent sore afterward but on th AT i dont have to go do PT in the morning THANKFULLY!

Nean
10-09-2006, 01:55
Partners can be great but they can also be a pain. I have found you can hike solo on the AT, anytime of the year, and still be around other hikers. IOW, If you don't find one before you start, start anyways, your chances are better on the trail than anywhere.;)

IAMTHELAW70
10-09-2006, 02:19
what are some peoples opinions on transporting water and the best way to purifiy? i was thinking of just stickin with boiling the water to limimt the weight i have to carry and prob using my old army canteens. good idea?

ShakeyLeggs
10-09-2006, 03:36
what are some peoples opinions on transporting water and the best way to purifiy? i was thinking of just stickin with boiling the water to limimt the weight i have to carry and prob using my old army canteens. good idea?

Depends how you plan on heating the water. If you use wood go for it but keep in mind it will rain and you will have to deal with wet wood. If you plan on using a stove to heat the water then you run into a situation where the weight of the fuel will be more than the weight of a chemical treatment. Some people filter some treat and some do nothing. Personally I filter but that is me. YMMV As for transporting water I use a 70oz capicity camel back. And in camp I use a water bag so I don't have to make a bunch of trips to the water source. Hope this helps and :welcome to WB.

ScottP
10-09-2006, 04:13
canteens are heavy, boiling water makes it taste funny, makes it warm, is time consumng, and means you have to carry water often--it'd much lighter/easier to use a chemical treatment. gatorade bottles work well as water containers.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
10-09-2006, 07:26
For water storage, gatorade bottles or water bladders are lighter than an army canteen, but for a January hike, I'd go with Naglene so I could fill it with boiling water, slip a sock over it and use it like a hot water bottle to help warm me and my sleeping bag. As for purifying, you will use too much fuel boiling all the water you will need in January to save any weight unless you plan to use wood. Chemical treatments will also work much more slowly in the colder temps. While I'm not a fan of carrying filters, in your situation a filter would seem to be the best option.

Nean
10-09-2006, 19:16
For water storage, gatorade bottles or water bladders are lighter than an army canteen, but for a January hike, I'd go with Naglene so I could fill it with boiling water, slip a sock over it and use it like a hot water bottle to help warm me and my sleeping bag. As for purifying, you will use too much fuel boiling all the water you will need in January to save any weight unless you plan to use wood. Chemical treatments will also work much more slowly in the colder temps. While I'm not a fan of carrying filters, in your situation a filter would seem to be the best option.

And keep the filter [shoes too] (ziplocked) in your bag at night and well insulated in your pack to keep it from freezing.:sun I trust springs but if I need to use another source I use it as and excuse to boil up some tea/hot choc./coffee and ramin.:) Not a bad way to rehydrate in winter. ;)