PDA

View Full Version : SNP North District Weather

adh24
10-09-2006, 08:17
How's the day and night time temps been down in SNP lately. Just trying to get some first hand word. Going to be hiking the week of the 16th of Oct. I've been checking on weather.com but they like to change their forecasts almost hourly it seems.

Thanks,

Blissful
10-09-2006, 09:00
It's the usual unpredicatable fall. The weather is warm then it turns cold. Last year we went to the northern section of SNP the last weekend in Oct and there was snow on the Marshalls.

We had lots of rain this past weekend, so the springs should be roaring. And the colors should be at their peak. Good time to go.

On the weather- too early right now to predict for next week. I know a cold front moves in for this weekend, bringing colder temps. (likely below freezing in the mtns)

adh24
10-09-2006, 12:02
On the weather- too early right now to predict for next week. I know a cold front moves in for this weekend, bringing colder temps. (likely below freezing in the mtns)

Yeah have been watching that. I'm hoping there is some rebound in the temps.

Blissful
10-09-2006, 14:05
Good chance there will be. But I wouldn't let some cool weather stop you. Just pack the long undies. All the outdoor shops seems to have capilene on sale! Anyway, it's a good time of year to go.

adh24
10-09-2006, 16:35
Good chance there will be. But I wouldn't let some cool weather stop you. Just pack the long undies. All the outdoor shops seems to have capilene on sale! Anyway, it's a good time of year to go.

Oh I'm not going to let it stop me. My wife and I have been planning this all summer. Just want to be prepared. I have some gift cards to burn at REI before I leave will have to pick some extras up

Blissful
10-09-2006, 21:00
Well, you'll get a lot of good advice here on White Blaze. Just scan through the threads. Lots of great people with loads of experience.
Have fun shopping at REI too.

tiamalle
10-09-2006, 21:38
How's the day and night time temps been down in SNP lately. Just trying to get some first hand word. Going to be hiking the week of the 16th of Oct. I've been checking on weather.com but they like to change their forecasts almost hourly it seems.

Thanks,We have listed 10 day weather link connection to each Georgia to Maine. here is the one for the smokies http://appalachiantrailservices.com/index.php?env=-inlink/index:m364-1-1-1-s&reset=1

Blissful
10-15-2006, 17:52
Don't know if you've left yet but rain is forecasted mid week.

It's been chilly here in the lowlands. 30's at night but warming to 60's during the day. I'd subtract ten degrees for the mtns.

adh24
10-24-2006, 15:50
Don't know if you've left yet but rain is forecasted mid week.

It's been chilly here in the lowlands. 30's at night but warming to 60's during the day. I'd subtract ten degrees for the mtns.

Trip was great we knocked a day off though cause of the rain Tuesday. Didn't want to start our hike off in a day long down pour. Weather was great though shorts and T-shirt. Kind of wish the nights would have been cooler. To cold to be outside the bag to warm to be in the bag. North district was great. Cant' wait to come back and do the rest.