PDA

View Full Version : Aqua Mira question

kgilby
10-09-2006, 11:33
It may be a silly question, but I've never used Aqua Mira before and am wondering if I can double the drop count to purify 2 qts. at one time?

MOWGLI
10-09-2006, 11:39
It may be a silly question, but I've never used Aqua Mira before and am wondering if I can double the drop count to purify 2 qts. at one time?

Yes you can, but if the water is going in two separate containers and not a platypus, you'll want to have a second top to create the solution.

Seeker
10-09-2006, 13:20

you can also septuple it to purify a 6 qt Reliance water container-ful... but it's hard keeping track of the count all the way to 42! :D

kgilby
10-09-2006, 13:40
I think we'll probably just stick with 2 qts. at a time. :D We're leaving Wednesday for the 10-11 hour drive down to the Smoky's and our 1st b'packing trip. 3 days/2 nights - the first day looks like rain right now, but Fri/Sat look great.

Chicken Feathers
10-09-2006, 13:51
kgilby next time you might want to give wal-mart a try for water purification. It is in the camping section and a lot cheapier and works just as well. make sure you check experation date (on the bottle cap). Only draw back I can see is that you have to use purification tablets and then nutarilizer.

Footslogger
10-09-2006, 14:47
==========================================

I carry a 1.8 Liter Platy and when I refill and purify it I add 14 drops of Part A and Part B to the mixing cap, let it set and then pour it in. You can use it that way. Just have to keep track of the drop count, which I have screwed up a few times.

'Slogger

kgilby
10-09-2006, 15:04
kgilby next time you might want to give wal-mart a try for water purification. It is in the camping section and a lot cheapier and works just as well. make sure you check experation date (on the bottle cap). Only draw back I can see is that you have to use purification tablets and then nutarilizer.

Don,
Is the WalMart purification a different brand? Also, what do you mean "you have to use purification tablets and then naturalizer."? The directions on the AquaMira say only to mix parts A and B, wait, and add it to my H2O. Are you referring to what needs to be done with the WalMart bought stuff?
Thanks.

Two Speed
10-09-2006, 15:52
It may be a silly question, but I've never used Aqua Mira before and am wondering if I can double the drop count to purify 2 qts. at one time?Why yes, it is a silly question. Fortunately, I specialize in that sort of thing. :D

The following is a completely unscientific, untested and unrecommended method of doubling Aqua Mira (AM) using two water bottles:

Put 14 drops of solution A and B into the small mixing cap
While that's doing it's thing, fill two bottles (1 litre each), but don't completely fill one bottle
After the AM has had it's required reaction time, pour half the solution into one bottle and the rest into the other, using the "eyeball" method*
Pour as much water from the full bottle into the partially full bottle as you can
Now pour back into the now partially full bottle (AKA "the Mad Chemist method")
Repeat Step #5 until you're sure you have completely mixed the two bottles**
Allow the AM to have it's standard contact time as specified on the label and you're ready to enjoy fresh, sparkling water that's completely treated by the latest untested and uncertified methodology.I've used this method for the last year or so and have had no complaints so far. Kind of like "billions served and only a few made violently ill," so to speak.

All kidding around aside, I've used this method and believe it to be reliable method of doubling the dose. Based on my limited knowledge of water treatment you should get as good treatment as you would by mixing two batches of AM, provided you make sure you take your time pouring the water back and forth.

Of course if you're using a single bottle with a 2 quart capacity you would just double the amount of AM, or triple for a 3 quart bottle, as suggested previously.

*The "eyeball" method means attempting to accurately split the volume of AM by estimation; it does not mean get that crap any where near your eyes.
**or until you spill a fair portion of the water all over your britches 'cuz you're kind of clumsy, and decide that you're tired of looking like you've peed yourself.

white rabbit
10-09-2006, 20:06
==========================================

I carry a 1.8 Liter Platy and when I refill and purify it I add 14 drops of Part A and Part B to the mixing cap, let it set and then pour it in. You can use it that way. Just have to keep track of the drop count, which I have screwed up a few times.

'Slogger

I do the same thing in my Platy. I tape the two bottles together and count 14 drops from one bottle, put the lid back on it, rotate to other bottle and repeat. Watch for chemicals to turn yellow after mixing. Once I put 14 drops from the first bottle and somehow got mixed up and put in another 14 from the same bottle. I only knew because the chemicals stayed clear.

kgilby
10-10-2006, 00:28
I am going to be using both the Hiker Pro filter and the Aqua Mira (not on the same water) to get a feel for both styles of purification, and to see if either improves or degrades the taste in any way. Thanks for your suggestions.

Just Jeff
10-10-2006, 01:42
Walmart sells iodine. The neutralizer is just Vitamin C tablets that cover up the nasty iodine taste. Iodine isn't effective against crypto, in case that's a threat where you're hiking. Lots of threads here on WB about iodine, filters and AM if you want details...search the archives.

I've treated a 3L Platy by adding more drops to the cap. You can also mix the AM solutions in a water bottle cap if you're treating two bottles at once - that way you don't have to estimate how much solution you're pouring into each bottle.

kgilby
10-10-2006, 09:45
I've treated a 3L Platy by adding more drops to the cap. You can also mix the AM solutions in a water bottle cap if you're treating two bottles at once - that way you don't have to estimate how much solution you're pouring into each bottle.

That's an easy way to be sure you've got it right, thanks.

Two Speed
10-10-2006, 10:13
. . . You can also mix the AM solutions in a water bottle cap if you're treating two bottles at once - that way you don't have to estimate how much solution you're pouring into each bottle.Yeah, but where's the fun in that? You don't get to look all squinty eyed at a small cap of yellow solution, you don't get to do your best mad scientist imitation while pouring water back and forth and you certainly don't get to look like some kind of perv with odd splashes all over your britches. Sheesh, some people just don't know how to have fun. :p

Actually, your method makes sense and I might just start doing things that way myself. Heck, I could ditch that little mixing cap on the Aqua Mira, saving at least a quarter of a gram! Gram weenies rule!

Just Jeff
10-10-2006, 11:51
Credit where it's due - I picked that tip up here on WB...don't remember who posted it. Before that, I'd either estimate half for each bottle or extend my breaks another 5 minutes while the second batch mixed. I felt like an idiot for not realizing I had two more mixing containers right on top of my bottles.