PDA

View Full Version : Calling all from the Triad, NC area

Gaiter
10-09-2006, 17:00
:welcome I've noticed several posting since I first found out about whiteblaze from hikers in the Triad area that were looking for others to hike with. Since we all get tired of waiting around for BRMS to have a trip that fits in our schedule, why not start a group, maybe on yahoogroups or something, if there isn't already one (someone let me know if there is) And we can plan weekend overnight trips. Simply post available weekends and trip ideas, and then decide as a group from there where and when to go. :sun

Any more ideas, suggestions, could this work, intrested in joining:-? ?

Hanna

Johnny Swank
10-09-2006, 17:02
I'm in Raleigh, but worked at BRMS for years. Speaking of which, their manager Amber just had a baby girl a couple of days ago.

blackbishop351
10-09-2006, 17:22
I'm definitely game! I've never tried a BRMS trip, but I've had bad experiences with those types of groups in the past - no offense, Johnny. I don't think I'll be able to make it out this month, but I'll definitely want to do something in November.

If any of you are hammockers, the SEHHA New Year's Eve campout on top of Springer sounds like fun, and I'm doing everything I can to go!

Gaiter
10-09-2006, 17:41
My biggest issuse with BRMS is that they tend to have trips on weekends I can't go. Also when I can go, they fill up. Of course, any large group would have to split up to protect the trail.

I started a group on YahooGroups: traidhikers feel free to join

Hanna

Gaiter
10-09-2006, 17:59
Also I put up a poll for avaiable weekends through Nov

Hanna

Johnny Swank
10-09-2006, 18:08
Oh - should have made it clearer. I haven't worked for those folks since 2000 but still keep in touch with a few of them.

blackbishop351
10-09-2006, 18:42
My biggest issuse with BRMS is that they tend to have trips on weekends I can't go. Also when I can go, they fill up. Of course, any large group would have to split up to protect the trail.

I started a group on YahooGroups: traidhikers feel free to join

Hanna

How about posting a link? Yahoo doesn't have it available to their search engine yet...

Gaiter
10-09-2006, 19:06
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/traidhikers/

Belew
10-09-2006, 19:37
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/traidhikers/

OK, I'm in. Had to get a new ID, Belew was taken so Im going with fiddlybri.

Just Jeff
10-09-2006, 19:39
I signed up. I won't be there until January but this way I won't forget you have a group! Hopefully someone will be up for some winter hammocking when I get there...

Slimer
10-09-2006, 21:56
Hello Johnny Swank!.......I followed your river trip journal. Darn good reading material!

littlelaurel59
10-09-2006, 22:16
Great idea. I have joined. My schedule is limited due to work/family/scout troop committments. Nevertheless, I am interested in meeting like-minded folks whenever I can.

D'Artagnan
10-10-2006, 09:24
I signed up. Sounds like a lot of fun.

Gaiter
10-10-2006, 09:39
please fill out the current poll when you know your available days
I've got it set up, so that you can change your vote and so that you can see who else is free that weekend to get a trip going!!

Gaiter
10-10-2006, 23:21
I feel the need to clarify, this isn't an anti-BRMS group, I'm just wanting a group that is flexible (a few people go on a trip one weekend, someothers go on a trip another weekend) and allows hikers to meet other hikers from the area.

Hanna

Gaiter
10-11-2006, 01:29
Hello My name is Stupid
here is the link with the correct spelling, the old link won't work any more

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/triadhikers/

Hanna

Jerm
10-11-2006, 01:48
hey, i just signed up too. i do work for BRMS and i'm actually one of the trip leaders and a wilderness first responder. any feedback on our trip program is welcome. we try to take a trip every month, maybe except for december.

1happyhiker
10-17-2006, 23:53
new to the triad. haven't really done any hiking on the east coast. looking for clubs that are organized and actually hike, no just when its 75*. baring my work schedule (m-f) would like to get out whenever.

hh

Gaiter
10-24-2006, 02:59
Okay, so i've heard from several people about not wanting to deal with yahoo. any ideas on how to get around yahoo. i really want to keep this as simple as possible.

RAT
10-24-2006, 03:05
I`m in Johnson City, TN. so very close to ALOT of trail in NC/TN/VA :)

RAT

Jobie
10-26-2006, 22:23
Just signed up for the Yahoo group and posted.

Chaco Taco
12-04-2006, 01:27
I just joined the group, Chapel Hill here. Soemone come and pick me up and lets go out in the woods. I am having wilderness withdrawl.