PDA

View Full Version : How high do you have to reach?

berninbush
10-09-2006, 17:22
Ok, this may be an oddball question...

How high up a tree do you typically have to reach to tie your hammock? I'm quite short and can't reach higher than six feet even on my tippy toes. If I got one, would I have a hard time tying it high enough to keep my bottom off the ground? Does the height vary based on how far apart the trees are?

peter_pan
10-09-2006, 17:45

How high up a tree do you typically have to reach to tie your hammock? I'm quite short and can't reach higher than six feet even on my tippy toes. If I got one, would I have a hard time tying it high enough to keep my bottom off the ground? Does the height vary based on how far apart the trees are?

Distance between the trees is certainly a factor.... generally I tie the hammock at about 5-6....for trees that are 13-14 feet apart....

Most of us try to have the hammock, when in the chair mode, be about the normal chair height... you may actually prefer it 1-2 inches lower.

Pan

Touch of Grey
10-09-2006, 18:22
I agree with Pan, You may want to have it lower. My rule of thumb is to tie my hammock on semi-level ground at no more than shoulder height. This is sometimes higher than I like but once the stretch kicks in it generally is just right. (I'm 6' 4" and 260 lbs. right now.)

On an incline the rule gets a little crazy so you have to look at which end you will enter on and set that end at hip to top of thigh height. That might mean six feet on one end and only 2 feet on the other. Check out Shane's web site ( www.theplacewithnoname.com/hiking/sections/gear/shelter/hthh.htm (http://www.theplacewithnoname.com/hiking/sections/gear/shelter/hthh.htm) ) for his recommendations. He has some decent videos showing set-ups.

TOG

Doctari
10-10-2006, 08:26
I am 5'7" & usually hang between eyelevel & just a bit above my head. When I first got the hammock, I used a VERY stretchy cord to hang from & the hammock was new & just "stretching in" I had to stand on a chair to hang high ennough to not be on the ground shortly after laying down. SOOOO, you may want to break in the hammock before actual use on trail, which you should do to practice with it anyway :D

TTFN

Doctari.

berninbush
10-10-2006, 09:40
I agree with Pan, You may want to have it lower. My rule of thumb is to tie my hammock on semi-level ground at no more than shoulder height. This is sometimes higher than I like but once the stretch kicks in it generally is just right. (I'm 6' 4" and 260 lbs. right now.)

Your shoulder is probably well above my head! (I'm 5'1".)

Thanks for the advice. If I get one, I'll definitely be trying it out before I count on it for overnight shelter.

jlb2012
10-12-2006, 09:38

perhaps a technique that I use on uneven ground may be of some use for you - this is in ref to Hennessy hammocks with the tree hugger straps - loop the straps around the tree so that the strap only crosses the back of the tree once - in other words don't wrap the strap all the way around the tree in a round turn - tie the hammock slightly slack then move the strap up the tree with your trekking pole to the desired height - put the tip of the pole under the back of the strap and push it up - to get it down in the morning grab the support rope and shake it or just reverse the procedure with the trekking pole - slip tip of pole under strap and pull it down

Rambler
10-12-2006, 13:40
Ditto to Doctari's first sentence. Let the tension on the hammock lines or webbing determine the height of the hammock more than the height of the wrapping around the trees. When sitting up in the hammock, my feet are only a few inches above the ground, and often touch the ground. I have found it useful to have about a 4-5' piece of webbing or rope to have an extension for one end, if needed. This helps if the best trees might be a bit further apart than necessary or if one is quite a bit thicker.