PDA

View Full Version : Help With This Symbol

Red Rover
10-09-2006, 19:24
I have encountered this symbol along the AT in NW CT. Does anybody have an idea as to what it means or signifies?

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/1/0/3/0/6/RandsView0017.JPG

Thanks,

the goat
10-09-2006, 19:28
I have encountered this symbol along the AT in NW CT. Does anybody have an idea as to what it means or signifies?

Thanks,

it signifies a "pink-blaze-free zone".:D

Roland
10-09-2006, 19:45

Thanks,

Jeff (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=9240)asked the question last year, and received no response. Maybe you'll have better luck.

It may have been discussed at some other time, too. I vaguely remember seeing pictures of the red heart blazes in question. I can't find it at the moment.

MOWGLI
10-09-2006, 19:47

WARNING! Bleeding Heart Liberals ahead.

freefall
10-09-2006, 20:03
He wears his heart on his trees.
Sorry, no help I know, just couldn't resist.

the goat
10-09-2006, 21:38
WARNING! Bleeding Heart Liberals ahead.

lol, i like that one mowgli!:D

The Old Fhart
10-09-2006, 21:43
Even though I like some of the other guesses better, could it be someone marked this section of the trail as a cardio workout area?:-?

saimyoji
10-09-2006, 22:41
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=12782&c=665&userid=3920

This particular person felt the need to reassure us.....LNT???:eek:

Just Jeff
10-09-2006, 22:49
Why don't you call the Land Management Agency for that portion of the trail?

RITBlake
10-09-2006, 22:57
cross country team marker?

Heater
10-10-2006, 04:01
Somebody really loves that tree.

Wanderingson
10-10-2006, 04:34
I would vwnture to say it may be a route marker for a local Hash House Harrier group. Could have been a special Hash.

Red Rover
10-10-2006, 08:45
Even though I like some of the other guesses better, could it be someone marked this section of the trail as a cardio workout area?:-?

I thought that also until I saw them almost 50 miles aprt from each other, That also eliminates the cross country thing too. The trail is way too tough for cross country.

Red Rover
10-10-2006, 08:48
I would vwnture to say it may be a route marker for a local Hash House Harrier group. Could have been a special Hash.

For fear of sounding dumb, I have to ask if you are serious and if so, what is a Hash House Harrier group?

Dances with Mice
10-10-2006, 09:01
I would vwnture to say it may be a route marker for a local Hash House Harrier group. Could have been a special Hash.Could vey well be. They generally use a "foot" symbol but they have no rules or regulations except the ones they make up themselves.

wilderness bob
10-10-2006, 09:01
That marker is for "Bore Sighting" your Deer rifle. Just kidding, I do recall seeing it though and saying to myself, "What the @#*& ". I took it as a customized marker that happened to cross the AT a few times. WB

Red Rover
10-10-2006, 09:06
Jeff (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=9240)asked the question last year, and received no response. Maybe you'll have better luck.

It may have been discussed at some other time, too. I vaguely remember seeing pictures of the red heart blazes in question. I can't find it at the moment.

It figures, I seem to have a knack for digging into old topics! You guys must love the newbies.

Dances with Mice
10-10-2006, 09:09
For fear of sounding dumb, I have to ask if you are serious and if so, what is a Hash House Harrier group?It's a drinking club with a running problem. A small team is set out to mark a running course. A large band of runners follows later trying to follow the marks. More experienced clubs can lay elaborate trails with false leads or circular routes with a obscure clues to exit and continue. The routes may be in a park, through a city, or anyplace the club decides. It's kind of like a group orienteering course but with beer and no maps or compasses. The trail always ends at tub of beer or a bar, I think that's their only consistent rule. There may even be drinks stashed along the way. Like any club they have their own lingo and inside jokes and it's a lot of fun to hook up with them for an event.

Kevin A. Boyce
10-10-2006, 09:58
I have been seeing those too, especially in the Sages Ravine area. I have asked around, but no one knows or is not talking...

max patch
10-10-2006, 10:18
Back in 2001 when we had they anthrax scares the local hashers marked one of their runs in Kennesaw National Park with flour. Shut down the trails for a bit when the haz mat crew had to analyze this suspicious powder.

K0OPG
10-10-2006, 11:12
a tree hugger's girlfriend??? with her valentine he gave her this year???

K-Man
10-10-2006, 12:45
Those are on the AT in NJ as well between DWG and High Point. I can't remember exactly where though. When I first saw them I thought it was some type of valentines/marriage proposal thing. You know...follow the hearts to where I'll be waiting. Just a thought.

TOW
10-10-2006, 12:58

Thanks,
I know sometimes when there is an event going on near or on the trail there will be some type of sign posted on the trees or a tree to let those who know of the event that they are headed in the right direction........That's probably all this sign signifies........

Wanderingson
10-10-2006, 13:54
ALright folks,

I think I cracked the code here.

It is actually an announcement for the WISLON family renuion. See link below:

http://timefordvd.com/images/stills/CastAway_Wilson_small.jpg

Cheesewhiz
10-10-2006, 14:29
I saw many of these markers along the AT this year from new york all the way into Mass. Nobody I asked had either now Idea what I was talking about or had no idea what it meant.

Red Rover
10-10-2006, 16:17
ALright folks,

I think I cracked the code here.

It is actually an announcement for the WISLON family renuion. See link below:

http://timefordvd.com/images/stills/CastAway_Wilson_small.jpg

Now that'sfunny!

Red Rover
10-10-2006, 16:21
I know sometimes when there is an event going on near or on the trail there will be some type of sign posted on the trees or a tree to let those who know of the event that they are headed in the right direction........That's probably all this sign signifies........

Does make a bit of sense, however since they seemingly appear on the trail for at least 150 miles, I'm not sure that's right.

Outlaw
10-10-2006, 16:38
It's from the American Heart Association's promo on heart-healthy activities. This includes such activities as hiking over 2,000 miles in all kinds of crappy weather carrying a two ton pack, eating gas station mechanic made sandwiches, and chugging gallons upon gallons of unfiltered swamp water and loving every minute of it!

Brushy Sage
10-10-2006, 19:44
Looks to me like something the trail section maintainer will want to remove.

Sly
10-10-2006, 20:00
I saw many of these markers along the AT this year from new york all the way into Mass. Nobody I asked had either now Idea what I was talking about or had no idea what it meant.

Well, whatever they are atleast this one is on the same tree as a whiteblaze. It got totally confusing in parts of NY where three different blazes were on different trees. You could walk 5 minutes, see a different blaze and not be sure you were on the right path.

Roland
10-10-2006, 20:02
It figures, I seem to have a knack for digging into old topics! You guys must love the newbies.

Hey, if we weren't talking about red-heart blazes, we might be talking about dogs, or cell phones or Minnesota Smith. Your question is a good one, and now that you've piqued our curiosity, I hope one of the local trail maintainers can enlighten us all.

Skidsteer
10-10-2006, 20:06
Hey, if we weren't talking about red-heart blazes, we might be talking about dogs, or cell phones or Minnesota Smith. Your question is a good one, and now that you've piqued our curiosity, I hope one of the local trail maintainers can enlighten us all.

I agree.

Figuring out the answer to your question, Red Rover, is of more interest to me than finding a new term for Pink-blazing for sure. :p

Deb
10-10-2006, 20:11

I noticed one on the section I co-maintain in Mass.; it was located on the steep southern slope of Mt. Everett.
Didn't have the right tool to remove it, but I'll come prepared next time.

saimyoji
10-10-2006, 20:19
While they may be ugly and confusing, removing them may be worse. If the nail goes deep enough, it will expose the tree to infection by bacteria, fungus, which may ultimately kill the tree. :-?

Sly
10-10-2006, 20:30
While they may be ugly and confusing, removing them may be worse. If the nail goes deep enough, it will expose the tree to infection by bacteria, fungus, which may ultimately kill the tree. :-?

Hmmm.... lots of questions now (you did it!)

Who allowed the blazes to be placed in the 1st place? Did this group go through proper channels? If they're only temporary, why were they nailed and not tied? :mad:

ed bell
10-10-2006, 20:38
Hmmm.... lots of questions now (you did it!)

Who allowed the blazes to be placed in the 1st place? Did this group go through proper channels? If they're only temporary, why were they nailed and not tied? :mad:Using nails on trees was just plain ignorant at best. Obvious case of disrespectful people just not giving a damn IMO.

weary
10-10-2006, 22:38
The signs are almost certainly illegal within the Appalachian Trail corridor -- or at least contrary to ATC trail maintenance standards.

The chances of pulling a small nail causing infection and death of the tree is virtually nil. Trees secrete fluids that promptly seal such small holes. Soft woods quickly fill small holes with pitch. Sealants are less visible on other tree varieties, but they exist. Holes are drilled into millions of maple trees annually to collect sap for making maple syrup.

Maples have been tapped for decades with no decrease in tree health caused by drilling and tapping.

Weary

Red Rover
10-11-2006, 09:19
I noticed one on the section I co-maintain in Mass.; it was located on the steep southern slope of Mt. Everett.
Didn't have the right tool to remove it, but I'll come prepared next time.

Deb, These appear to be spread from NJ to at least MA. Is it possible to refer this issue back to the ATC? or at least the AMC which oversees this area? Maybe they know something. Perhaps other maintainers will pull them out as well.

Birddog
10-11-2006, 09:35
Perhaps the symbol is an attempt to have people wonder what its signifigance is, when really there is no signifigance other than to make people wonder? :-? (BTW it wasnt me, havent been that far North on the trail yet).

refreeman
10-12-2006, 00:52
Hmm yes, I know what these are, they a form of tree tick. A tree can get lyme disease if the tick is not removed ASAP ;)

I've ripped about half a dozen of these down so far, in NY, CT and MA. I have examined them closely and they appear to be lids from cans that have been opened. They are then spray painted white and then the red heart is spray painted on the lid with some kind of template (they all look the same). They are always nailed into the tree with two good sized nails. Often the only way to remove the lid is to bend it until it snaps and brakes where the nails are.
I don't know what they mean, but I know they don't belong on the AT so when I feel like it and have the time I remove them.

Pokey2006
10-13-2006, 02:04
Since this post has been on here for a while, and someone else asked the question last year, and we STILL don't have an answer, I'm betting this was done as a prank. If it was something official, someone would have known about it and posted an answer by now. Some thru-hiker or section hiker a couple of years ago thought it would be funny and, wala, here we are on Whitenet going around in circles about it. Anyone remember what year hikers first started noticing the markers?

Those markers are, indeed, in a few states -- I even want to say I started seeing them in Pennsylvania.

Pokey2006
10-13-2006, 02:05
All right, I'm a little into my cups and probably need to hit the sack...
Make that WhiteBLAZE.

irritable_badger
10-13-2006, 10:26

There are no trail maintainers in CT so it will probably be there forever.

c.coyle
10-13-2006, 10:53
It looks like a mask to me. "Costume Party Ahead"

LIhikers
10-13-2006, 16:15
I've seen those red hearts on white can ends in PA, NJ, NY, CT, and MA in the last few of years