PDA

View Full Version : good books

reba
10-09-2006, 20:12
hey everyone, I'm bout to finish a book about K2 that is incredible called Savage Summit by Jennifer Jordan, I am wondering if anyone can recommend another for me not necessarily based on K2 but on extreme travel, I have read Into Thin Air, and a Walk in the Woods, anyone know of some more good ones?

Rebecca

stickman
10-09-2006, 20:24
Read "Follow the River" by James Thom, for a true story of courage in the face of adversity that left me wanting to know more. Its a good read, and set in the Appalachian mountains.

Stickman

Just Jeff
10-09-2006, 20:30
Read Boukreev's The Climb (http://www.amazon.com/Climb-Anatoli-Boukreev/dp/0312206372/sr=8-1/qid=1160439971/ref=sr_1_1/102-5514592-2260920?ie=UTF8&s=books) - his response to Into Thin Air...gives another side of the story since Krakauer put most of the blame for what happened on Boukreev. Beck Weathers has a book about that day, too - he's the one who lost his nose and his arm was frozen at a right angle to his body when he stumbled into camp. It's more about his motivations for climbing and how it impacted his family...not as interesting as Boukreev's but worth the time if you're interested in that.

Krakauer also has a compilation of stories that's pretty good - Eiger Dreams (http://www.amazon.com/Eiger-Dreams-Ventures-Among-Mountains/dp/0385488181/sr=1-4/qid=1160440107/ref=sr_1_4/102-5514592-2260920?ie=UTF8&s=books). It's a pretty quick read. And of course Into the Wild (http://www.amazon.com/Into-Wild-Jon-Krakauer/dp/0385486804/sr=1-2/qid=1160440107/ref=pd_bbs_2/102-5514592-2260920?ie=UTF8&s=books).

I have a few others around here that I'm willing to part with if you want to make a deal...PM me and I'll get the titles.

Topcat
10-09-2006, 20:33
If you liked Into Thin Air, you should check out Eiger Dreams. It is a collection of Krakauers short pieces from magazines and has a lot of great stuff in it. I would also recomend Touching the Void, although it made my stomach hurt reading it.

Topcat
lol Jeff, looks like we were typing at the same time..lol

illusionistG
Reba..check these out

Not Without Peril (Nicholas Howe) : A history of hiking the White Mountain's Presidential Ranges including some tragedies that are still happening today caused by the same issues. Unpreparedness.

High Exposure (David Brashears): Great book about his mountaineering experiences and filming (Imax of Everest).

Seven Summits: don't know the author. It is about people who have summited the highest peak on the seven continents.

Dust
10-09-2006, 23:50
Not Without Peril (Nicholas Howe) : A history of hiking the White Mountain's Presidential Ranges including some tragedies that are still happening today caused by the same issues. Unpreparedness.

IllusionistG -- the apostrophe should be placed after the "s" in White Mountains, since the "s" is part of a proper name. Placing an apostrophe after the "n" indicates that you are talking about a specific mountain named White Mountain (which would be an absurdity in this context). Thus, you should have written, "A history of hiking the White Mountains' Presidential Ranges ..."

Frosty
10-10-2006, 08:16
IllusionistG -- the apostrophe should be placed after the "s" in White Mountains, since the "s" is part of a proper name. Placing an apostrophe after the "n" indicates that you are talking about a specific mountain named White Mountain (which would be an absurdity in this context). Thus, you should have written, "A history of hiking the White Mountains' Presidential Ranges ..."People write bad. Its good their are people as you whom are able to correct there mistakes.

The Old Fhart
10-10-2006, 08:31
Frosty-"People write bad. Its good their are people as you whom are able to correct there mistakes."I to agrees with Frosties remark's.

MOWGLI
10-10-2006, 08:36
IllusionistG -- the apostrophe should be placed after the "s" in White Mountains, since the "s" is part of a proper name. Placing an apostrophe after the "n" indicates that you are talking about a specific mountain named White Mountain (which would be an absurdity in this context). Thus, you should have written, "A history of hiking the White Mountains' Presidential Ranges ..."

Hey Grammar Coach. You comin' to the ALDHA Gathering? I hope so! We're going to play volleyball. And we need a ball to whack around. :D

Regarding books, The Monkey Wrench Gang by Edward Abbey (http://www.abbeyweb.net/) is an adventure of a different sort. I recommend it highly.

wilderness bob
10-10-2006, 09:20
I recommend the book "Blue Highways" by William Least Heat-Moon. An interesting perspective of traveling across the United States taking back roads and enjoying chance meetings with some interesting people. (A funny read, a different type of long distance travel). WB

eArThworm
10-10-2006, 09:32
... I am wondering if anyone can recommend another for me not necessarily based on K2 but on extreme travel, ... anyone know of some more good ones?
Check out my list at http://friends.backcountry.net/m_factor/bibliography.htm#Women
I especially liked Helen Thayer's "Polar Dream."

reba
10-10-2006, 14:23
Thanks everyone, I grabbed some new books today, Polar Dream, Kon-Tiki, and The Ice Master.

:) Rebecca

trlhiker
10-10-2006, 20:02
From my own collection:

Beyond the Limits - Stacy Allison
Yukon Alone - John Balzer
On Top of the World - Rebecca Stephens
Himalayan Odyssey - Parker Antin
Journey on the Crest - Cindy Ross
People in High Places - Audrey Salkeld
Off The Map - Mark jenkins
Into The Wild - Jon Krakuer

trlhiker
10-10-2006, 20:06
If you like outdoor comedy then anything by Patrick Mcmanus.

Geo.
10-14-2006, 18:36
I've just read "Voyageur" by a Brit, Robert Twigger.
He and a couple of others emulated a journey made in the early 1800's by a Scot Alexander McKenzie who travelled by birchbark canoe from Central Canada across the Rockies to the Pacific coast. Mainly against river currents, hauling, portaging etc. First time it'd been done successfully since McKenzie.
They built a birchbark canoe for the journey - a beautiful (and surprisingly strong) craft.
A very entertaining read. One of those books I didn't want to put down.
Cheers, George