PDA

View Full Version : Over 50?

Sara Tonin
10-09-2006, 21:24
:rolleyes: Looking for AT section hikers in Georgia/Carolina area who are over 50 years young! I am slowly section hiking in this area.

Rain Man
10-09-2006, 22:01
Sara, that group would include me! I just hiked Allen Gap to Sam's Gap this Columbus Day weekend, in your neck of the woods. Hope to do some more this Fall. Sometimes my wife accompanies me. This time it was my Bolivian exchange student "son."

Rain:sunMan

Frolicking Dinosaurs
10-09-2006, 22:10
The dinos are very slowly section hiking the AT - and are way over 50. In fact, some of our kids are pushing 50.

Ewker
10-09-2006, 22:31
I am not officially a section hiker of the AT but I do hike the AT, the Smokies,Mt Rogers area and others. Oh yeah over 50

Tinker
10-09-2006, 23:21
I'll be section hiking the southern part of N.C. next spring (God willing) with my son. I hiked Georgia this spring. I hike at a pretty good clip for 50+, but could slow down to hike with someone else. I'll be parking at the Blueberry Patch, doing the northernmost section of Ga. and continuing into N.C. Probably in late March.

joedannajr
10-10-2006, 07:13
Let me know when you are up to the Northeast sections. I'd be interested in some 3-5 day hikes.

hopefulhiker
10-10-2006, 07:30
I am over fifty too.. Would like to do some more hiking...

Gray Blazer
10-10-2006, 07:49
:welcome to WhiteBlaze. Love to hike in GA/TN/NC/VA.

Hikes in Rain
10-10-2006, 08:11
Yep, joined the over 50 crowd some while back. I'm just now beginning planning a section hike in the Smokies first week of November! Woo, hooo!

Given that it's taken me about ten years to go from Springer to Fontana, but I hike slower than you!

generoll
10-10-2006, 18:18
dunno about you kids, but us old guys also hike. i'm planning to extend my section hike from either Davenport Gap or Hot Springs next March, depending on how far I get this fall.

Roland
10-10-2006, 18:56
Sara,

Your name is a clever play on words. Care to tell us the story behind it?

strnorm
10-10-2006, 20:49
:rolleyes: Looking for AT section hikers in Georgia/Carolina area who are over 50 years young! I am slowly section hiking in this area.
I live northeast tn. kingsport send me a pm or e-mail :welcome

brancher
11-19-2006, 11:03

Hi Sara,

I am (barely) over 50 - but very immature. And, I am also sectioning the AT (until I retire, at which time I intend to walk the rest). I am interested in doing a good section this spring - possibly last week of March or 1st week of April - 10 days or so. Want to start at Unicoi and get to Franklin (or more if my feet last). I am experienced, having walked about for a long time, so I prefer some experience in my partner also. Also, if you've done any backpacking, you know your pace (or your morning routine) may not match your partner's, so that's a consideration, too.

If interested, lemme know.

br

Sly
11-19-2006, 12:40
Where has the time gone? :( But hey, I'm up for hikin'! :D

SouthMark
11-19-2006, 13:32
Almost 60. Hiked Hot Springs to Davenport Gap in May. A couple of surgeries have slowed me down but hope to make it to Damasus next spring/summer.

peter_pan
11-19-2006, 14:22
Growing older happens...growing up is optional....Yup I'm there too.

Pan

drdewrag
11-19-2006, 14:24
This is Sara who?

stickman
11-19-2006, 17:46
On my next B Day I'll hit the big six-oh. I am a section hiker for now, but harbor dreams that maybe I'll do a thru after I retire. My wife comes on some hikes and not others. She likes to hike but likes it best in fair weather, and she doesn't seem as interested in a thru hike, at least at this point.

Stickman.

little bear
11-19-2006, 17:55
Sara Tonin is that the same Sara Tonin that section hiked with her husban in Georga last October? If so its little bear that hiked with Wild Bill, Peppers and Dui.

uscgretired
11-19-2006, 19:14
Age 65 +. As a section hiker, it has taken me 3 years to make it from Amicalola to Franklin. I will begin at Franklin in early April 2007 for a hike to Fontana Dam and take one step into the GSMNP (saving that for my 66th). Inspired by reading Bryson's "Walk In The Woods" 5 years ago. I have also read every book written about the AT including AWOL's new book (I also have all the DVD's). NW Louisiana is not exactly prime hiking/backpacking area so the AT is my training ground. I also spend too much time on White Blaze but I am entertained by all the "Trail Legends", characters (famous or infamous) that prowl the site.