PDA

View Full Version : Crack Rash

Former Admin
09-03-2002, 20:18
I know this isn't a pleasant subject, however it happens to just about everyone that hikes at sometime or another. What are some of the ways to reduce the irritation? Comments, concerns, issues, experiences, etc .........

Hammock Hanger
09-10-2002, 06:43
Ouch! Ouch! Ouch! I tried powder, diaper rash stuff, cortizone 10 and Bager Balm. I found that the balm worked the best, then the cortizone 10 ointment (not cream). The grease stayed on and helped to grease the works so to speak while it healed. HH

Youngblood
09-15-2002, 09:20
On my thru-hike I used toilet paper and baby wipes...never had a problem.

Youngblood

Hammock Hanger
09-15-2002, 09:32
I too used baby wipes but when the heat index rose and the sweat poured the skin seem to break down. I only had a few bouts of it. As well as some upper thigh problems. For the thigh I switched over to my skirt or dress and it helped. HH

Mike Drinkuth
09-16-2002, 09:23
Hammock Hanger...did you mean to type "tiger balm" or is banger balm just something i've not heard of? Tiger Balm seems kind of odd, too, like it might burn. Where does one buy this balm?
-Mike
p.s. i'm so glad i'm not the only one, hehe

jlb2012
09-16-2002, 12:02
Available at agricultural supply stores (ex Southern States Coop) - used I believe normally on dairy cows.

The above statement may have no connection to reality and at best should be considered to be rumor range info.

Hammock Hanger
09-16-2002, 17:38
It is sold at most outfitters in small to medium sized flat tins. It is like a vaseline or udder butter but in a more solid form. HH

Jumpstart
09-19-2002, 09:54
My husband ran across this problem around the Damascus area, and found that Gold Bond Baby Powder (not the medicated kind) and a pair of New Balance spandex did the trick for him...it got to be quite a sight, we must have seen 30 or 40 thru-hikers carrying around little white bottles of powder!

Blue Jay
12-26-2002, 15:24
There is only one long term solution. Wear a skirt. Sweat and rain water do not collect where they must not. It flows down the skirt and drops off. You do not need that extra material, lighten your load. It's easier to cover up on Nude Hiking Day and much easier to Moon the Washington Train. Homophobic bears stay away from your food and the AMC is afraid to collect money from you. True, you are much more afraid when you hear banjo music, but you get a lot more miles done that day

Bandana Man
12-26-2002, 19:47
This is gonna sound a bit odd, considering the source of irritation, but oh what the heck. I always carry vaseline to rub between my toes and it completely prevents blisters. When I had a "crack-attack" the vaseline solved that problem, too.

RagingHampster
12-27-2002, 12:19
Never had crack attack. I sometimes chaffe in my upper theigh region, but all you have to do is dry it or oil it. I use duct tape, but I imagine this would not be practical for crack attack...

Lone Wolf
12-27-2002, 12:23
BAG BALM. Simply the best for chafing and "oven ass".

Footslogger
12-27-2002, 20:09
Didn't seem to have any problems in the south but for some odd reason I began to chafe about 2-3 days into the 100 miles wilderness. Tried powder - no luck. Tried Zinc Oxide and got some results. But the real solution was to loose the underwear and hike with only light nylon shorts. Pretty much crotch rot free by Katahdin. Thank goodness !!:)

Easyhiker
12-27-2002, 22:26
cheap and availible everywhere ...... works for me:D

Lugnut
12-28-2002, 00:29
I think the indians used mud. readily available and well with in a hikers budget.

smokymtnsteve
12-31-2002, 16:03
I use a mixture of triple antibiotic ointment mixed with Nizoral cream a prescription antifungal(ketoconazole)...along with cortizone to speed healing...try to use it before problem starts..an OZ of prevention....the antibiotics don't affect fungus and antifungus doesn't affect bacteria...and there is probably a FUNGUS AMONG US..

Underwear???...you carry underwear???

Jumpstart
01-02-2003, 16:19
I have to loudly disagree with the "wear a skirt" comment. I wore a skirt from Daleville, VA to Maine, and while it was cool and comfortable, it doesn't prevent skin from rubbing on skin; in fact, it encourages it. Especially the upper thigh area. I found the first month in a skirt uncomfortable to say the best, and wore spandex much of the time to alleviate those wonderful rashes. That said, we discovered this amazing product in Waynesboro, VA called BodyGlide (used by triathletes) and it worked really well at preventing any chafing, but not so well if the skin has already been reddened up and is uncomfortable.

Waterbuffalo
01-09-2003, 16:17
I say put some Crisco on in and let it go!

LOL

atraildreamer
05-20-2006, 07:10
Boy...they really mean when they say that they'll discuss anything at this site! :eek:

atraildreamer
05-20-2006, 07:10
Boy...they really mean it when they say that they'll discuss anything at this site! :eek:

KirkMcquest
05-20-2006, 17:48
Boy...they really mean it when they say that they'll discuss anything at this site! :eek:

Thank God they do. It's here I first learned about Body Glide, the solution to chafing. :eek:

CaptChaos
05-20-2006, 19:32
OK, now this is an interesting thread.

I have not had the crack rash, thank God, but I do get the chaffing all of the time. The only thing that I have learned is no underware of you will be sorry the next day when you try to get up when backpacking the Smokies in the summer.

Since my first encounter 8 years ago with what was described to me by Birdman, I had a good case of the jungle rot, and if it had not been for him taking care of me at Spence Field it would have been a very long trip back to Cades Cove. He had medicated baby powder.

Since then I carry a small can of baby powder, some kind of anitbiotic cream, no underware and lose fitting shorts or pants.

I believe that the cream that you have all been talking is what we used to get back in Ohio and the farmers called it Uder Onit. You could cut yourself and put this brown smelling paste on the cut and it was healed in two days. The farmers use it on the cow uders that get raw during the milking process. My father would not use anything for any cuts but this all of his life.

Capt Chaos

Frosty
05-20-2006, 21:22
My husband ran across this problem around the Damascus area, and found that Gold Bond Baby Powder (not the medicated kind) I had a problem when sectioning in PA, and while at the Doyle someone gave me the medicated Gold Bold. Used it liberally and it felt good for about 1.5 seconds, then YYYYEEEEEE-OOOOOOWWWWWW!

Never, ever use medicated Gold Bond for Monkey Butt.

atraildreamer
05-21-2006, 03:46
I had a problem when sectioning in PA, and while at the Doyle someone gave me the medicated Gold Bold. Used it liberally and it felt good for about 1.5 seconds, then YYYYEEEEEE-OOOOOOWWWWWW!

Never, ever use medicated Gold Bond for Monkey Butt.

I have used the stuff. It works great! The pain tells you that it is working. :eek: Tough it out, :datz when the pain subsides, the rash is on the way out.:)

grrickar
05-21-2006, 11:25
Chafing is caused by heat and moisture, so I use Gold Bond (the medicated kind) in the front and back of my shorts. I got chafed one time REAL bad and I could barely walk by the time I got to Fontana Dam. After getting some Gold Bond in the appropriate spots, I was good all the way to the NOC in Wesser. I carry it and put it in my shorts and my socks. I have yet to have a blister since I have been putting it in my socks.

Tinker
05-21-2006, 18:05
I'll second that. Works great. Looks like a small stick of solid deodorant. Deodorant may work also, for all I know. Using spandex shorts may help, too, but make sure there aren't any seams in the crotch area. I threw away a pair in Georgia after a week when they proved to be as much a problem as a solution because of the seam placement.

Peak2Peak
05-21-2006, 19:17
Sometimes called "bag balm" - great for all rashes. Used a lot on cows' udders. Comes in a square metal can.

Toolshed
05-21-2006, 19:56
Ditto on Body glide. Works great for the thighs ("Chub Rub" as some call it)
Otherwise I always carry a tiny tube of A&D Diaper Rash cream with Zinc Oxide and fish oil - It takes away the pain and also works preventatively.
I also carry it in my toilet bag.

atraildreamer
05-22-2006, 10:29
Ditto on Body glide. Works great for the thighs ("Chub Rub" as some call it)
Otherwise I always carry a tiny tube of A&D Diaper Rash cream with Zinc Oxide and fish oil - It takes away the pain and also works preventatively.
I also carry it in my toilet bag.

OK...but the odor of fish oil may make you an attractive target for fish loving bears!:D

Frolicking Dinosaurs
05-22-2006, 11:18
Another fan of the udder cream of your choice. I have never had this issue on the trail, but had it when I had to sponge-bathe for about 4 weeks after my accident. I wasn't able to give the area a really good cleaning due to a lot of swelling, several surgical incisions & bandages in the area and inability to move well. I tried a lot of different things including two prescription items - what worked best was using baby wipes to clean after doing my business and udder cream twice a day.

I'm going to have to get some body glide for my thighs. My weight has skyrocketed since I've let my injury lower my activities level and Ms. Menopause has come to stay. I was skinny most of my life and dealing with extra weight is new to me.

Light Traffic
07-02-2006, 22:31
Boroleum Ointment - 'tis medicated, stops itching and speeds healing, but be prepared for some initial discomfort if your skin is irritated or damaged (re medicated Gold Bond)! Good prevention as well. Seems slightly thicker than vaseline.

Amigi'sLastStand
07-02-2006, 22:56
Crack rash?
Hold the pipe further away from your lips.

Surplusman
05-14-2009, 10:09
Medicated Gold Bond powder worked great at preventing and treating swamp ass when I worked on a grounds crew mowing lawns all day during the summer months. I'm certain there are other products out there that work just as well, but Gold Bond is my choice.

yaduck9
05-14-2009, 10:15
Didn't seem to have any problems in the south but for some odd reason I began to chafe about 2-3 days into the 100 miles wilderness. Tried powder - no luck. Tried Zinc Oxide and got some results. But the real solution was to loose the underwear and hike with only light nylon shorts. Pretty much crotch rot free by Katahdin. Thank goodness !!:)

I hike in AZ in high temperatures. Always wear nylon hiking shorts with mesh support. No underwear. No problems.

World-Wide
05-14-2009, 10:22
I know this isn't a pleasant subject, however it happens to just about everyone that hikes at sometime or another. What are some of the ways to reduce the irritation? Comments, concerns, issues, experiences, etc .........

Damn, just when I thought I had all areas covered for my 2010 thru-hike you have to throw in the ass-crack factor. I'll be tossing-and-turning all night now! :eek:

Roan Creeper
05-14-2009, 10:33
Gold Bond Powder (Non-medicated). I keep it in my daypack, overnight pack, suitcases and bike pack when I ride.

Wise Old Owl
05-14-2009, 10:49
I think the indians used mud. readily available and well with in a hikers budget.

They actually knew which plants to use to numb for hemorroids!

No it wasn't poison ivy.

My vote for zinc ointment.

Wise Old Owl
05-14-2009, 10:52
I use a mixture of triple antibiotic ointment mixed with Nizoral cream a prescription antifungal(ketoconazole)...along with cortizone to speed healing...try to use it before problem starts..an OZ of prevention....the antibiotics don't affect fungus and antifungus doesn't affect bacteria...and there is probably a FUNGUS AMONG US..

Underwear???...you carry underwear???

Fungus, then they recommend Tinactin. and seeking medical attention.

Mr. Magoo
05-14-2009, 11:03
This is the stuff that I use down here in FL while on the trails. It is the bom!

http://www.headhuntersurf.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/store_m_products_rash.jpg
http://www.headhuntersurf.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=HS&Product_Code=RGF

You can get it in any surf shop.

JTCruiser
05-14-2009, 11:49
I hike in AZ in high temperatures. Always wear nylon hiking shorts with mesh support. No underwear. No problems.

Ditto to the no underwear--lost my rash when I lost the underwear. Prevention seems to be the key as well, so my routine is (1) leave off the underwear, (2) pre-lube inner thighs with vaseline, (3) clean toilet habits, i.e., baby wipes. Since this, no problems.

JAK
05-14-2009, 12:03
You can say that again. lol

leeki pole
05-14-2009, 12:19
Gold Bond works. I have used it for 20 years, it cleared up poison ivy on my feet after my dogs walked on them in 3 days. I'm not a big fan of salve, just increases moisture unless you have some rubbing concerns. I use Gold Bond (or the Dollar General generic) every day. Dry is better.

JAK
05-14-2009, 12:25
Sorry, that was in response to page 1

I try and keep it clean and simple and well ventilated, but when that doesn't work, ouch, then I have to look around and wish I had brought something. I suppose one could improvise with stuff they might already be carrying, or bring stuff with that in mind that also has other uses. Always worth considering the precise cause of the irritation, as it is often a combination of things. Proper diet helps prevent some causes. Proper washing and laundry helps prevent others. Sometimes I have trouble if I have too much skim milk and tea without enough dried fruit, or the other way around. Eating oatmeal every day goes a long way. Looser clothing prevents some otehr causes. Compression clothing helps prevent others, and are good to have after you get a rash also. So its good to carry both options, loose and tight, and change them up.

Deadeye
05-14-2009, 12:45
My choice -clean underwear (or lycra shorts), daily bathing, and Tinactin powder. Going commando doesn't work for me.

Kanati
05-14-2009, 15:05
BURT'S BEES, RES-Q OINTMENT. Available at Neel Gap for about $4.

LockJaww
05-14-2009, 15:51
Lotrimin...Got turned on to it by a medic back when I was a grunt...used it ever since.

JAK
05-14-2009, 16:18
That got me looking to see what is in it. Turns out to be something called Butefine, which is supposed to be a very effective anti-fungal for jock itch, ring worm, and atheletes foot. Someone mentioned mud, and there are probably some other natural anti-fungal agents you might find along the trail if you are into that sort of thing, willow is one, maybe to get some relief until the next town maybe. Trees don't like fungus either, I guess.

Butefine is Lotramin etc is described here, and other antifungals are listed at the bottom
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butenafine

Engine
05-14-2009, 18:33

Happened to me last week after a long hike in the rain. I cleaned up and applied Neosporin lightly over the affected area. That night in my sleeping bag I slept with a light piece of clothing between the sore spots so they could spend time without rubbing. The next morning I was able to put compression shorts under my regular hiking shorts and we did a tough 20 miles without any real problems. The sweat hurt as it burned a bit, but it didn't stop me like I thought it might the day before.

Phoenixdadeadhead
05-14-2009, 19:07
There is only one long term solution. Wear a skirt. Sweat and rain water do not collect where they must not. It flows down the skirt and drops off. You do not need that extra material, lighten your load. It's easier to cover up on Nude Hiking Day and much easier to Moon the Washington Train. Homophobic bears stay away from your food and the AMC is afraid to collect money from you. True, you are much more afraid when you hear banjo music, but you get a lot more miles done that day
I agree works great, I destroyed a pair of pants in Montana one June day and a girl who was with us offered me a skirt as a joke, me never knowing how far to push a joke took her skirt and put it on. Let me tell ya, best thing I ever did, during the hot days I spread my legs and let the air hit my ba115, at night I closed em tight and was warm as could be. 2 Months in that thing, even made bathing on the trail easy

Homer&Marje
05-14-2009, 19:31
Reference this thread I had last summer for this problem. Questions were had and answered. Using Body Glide now.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=40348&highlight=Ado+chafing

lorichka6
05-14-2009, 21:00
Unfortunately this is my biggest friggin problem on the trail :o My last 4 day trip - which was uncharacteristically cool (so maybe bad data) was the first time anything worked... I used baby wipes in addition to TP. Kept things "cleaner" in the morning with the wipes and cleaned up at the end of the day too... I think the salt from sweat is the main culprit. I also used quite a bit of desitin.

BR360
05-14-2009, 21:55
In addition to good hygiene, preventing sweat from rolling down my back and between my cheeks has been key to avoiding a case of crack rash.

I take my bandanna and fold it over the top of my shorts (nylon runners with mesh brief). this soaks up the sweat that runs down my back, and has worked well as a prevention measure.

ChinMusic
05-14-2009, 22:03
BURT'S BEES, RES-Q OINTMENT. Available at Neel Gap for about $4.
Is that Lone Wolf's pic on the package?

Bad Co
05-14-2009, 22:07
Corn Starch
Theres nothing better or cheaper

bigmac_in
05-14-2009, 22:16
My dad worked for a company that made milking systems - I'm here to tell you NOTHING is better than bag balm! Buy it at any farm store. Don't get the "cow cream" from Wally World, it's not the same. Bag balm is much thicker and is the only way to go.

Hikerhead
05-14-2009, 22:18
Medicated lip balm. It works. Don't apply directly. Gold Bond on dry lips doesn't look too good.

World-Wide
05-14-2009, 23:10
I agree works great, I destroyed a pair of pants in Montana one June day and a girl who was with us offered me a skirt as a joke, me never knowing how far to push a joke took her skirt and put it on. Let me tell ya, best thing I ever did, during the hot days I spread my legs and let the air hit my ba115, at night I closed em tight and was warm as could be. 2 Months in that thing, even made bathing on the trail easy

Funny! But way too much info....:eek:

The Mechanical Man
05-15-2009, 00:01
NEOSPORIN - First aid antibiotic/pain relieving CREAM. :)

It's not greasy, and doesn't stain clothes.

Clean it! Clean the affected area.
Coat it! Apply a small amount of this product (an amount equal to the surface area of a tip of a finger) on the area 1 to 3 times daily.
Keep hiking

Erin
05-15-2009, 00:06
I am a fair skinned redhead and a former runner and bicylist. Body glide and bag balm work great to prevent it and Diaperene and diaper rash creams work to get rid of that heat rash and chafing. But I have never had 'crack rash." We used to call it "canoe butt rash" and "pot rot" at summer camp when I was a kid.

Engine
05-15-2009, 06:54
My dad worked for a company that made milking systems - I'm here to tell you NOTHING is better than bag balm! Buy it at any farm store. Don't get the "cow cream" from Wally World, it's not the same. Bag balm is much thicker and is the only way to go.

It works pretty well on road rash as well. :)

Gumbi
05-15-2009, 07:23
Vaseline works wonders for me.

You gotta be careful about what you put on down there! Baby powder and lotion burn like the dickens!

I used to use antiperspirant (sp?) and it worked ok, but vaseline works better and is cheaper and I carry it with cotton ball as a firestarter anyway. I tried deoderant, but that burned like crazy, too.

Gumbi
05-15-2009, 07:26
Wow! We've started on the fourth page, and still no thread drift! What is wrong with this picture? :)

World-Wide
05-15-2009, 08:17
Wow! We've started on the fourth page, and still no thread drift! What is wrong with this picture? :)

When you're traveling down the crack, there's nowhere to drift! :D

bluffhead
06-05-2009, 18:18
certain deoderants dont burn i use right guard, mainly because it was the only one i have, but it gets close to 135 degrees here and that stuff works wonders for me, overnight cure, no im not currently in nc.

Ramble~On
06-06-2009, 00:17
:rolleyes: I did not read this entire thread and have commented on other threads similar...so forgive me if i am saying the same crap others have already said. Rash is a pain in the ass and a comon thing...best medicine is to avoid or prevent it. just like blisters if you pay attention and treat it before it grows into a full blown problem you may be fine..I don't know...all people are different. Body Glide works for me and staying clean does the job also. After a day hiking with sweat...wash yourself with some hot water, a sponge and Dr. Bronners. A sponge bath removes the built up salts from sweat and feels great. Why be nasty and dirty when you don't have to? A sponge bath takes 5 minutes and feels great. A dip in a stream or a bandana bath does the job throughout the day. hiking doesn't have to be nasty...you can be clean and happy...most "Monkey Butt" is easily avoided

russb
06-28-2009, 20:39

Please no pictures. Please god, no pictures.

Egads
06-28-2009, 20:57
Clean up good with moist towelettes then apply Goldbond medicated cream :cool:

High Life
06-28-2009, 21:01
I had it real bad at times on the trail and i picked up body glide which worked at prevention , but if you already have it my choice would be A & D (http://www.myadbaby.com/)
which is found at any CVS and the like