PDA

View Full Version : New one - eye problem

Blissful
10-10-2006, 15:17
Okay - here's new one. I was just diagnosed with a cataract in my right eye (and at age 43, ugh) Not far enough advanced to be treated but located in an area of the eye so that it's hard to see the contours of the trail sometimes (it looks hazy and pinkish, actually, esp when I was out later in the afternoon a few weekends back). I worried about falling. Anyone else have this difficulty and how did you cope with it? Am getting a new prescription for my glasses so hope that helps.

weary
10-10-2006, 16:51
Okay - here's new one. I was just diagnosed with a cataract in my right eye (and at age 43, ugh) Not far enough advanced to be treated but located in an area of the eye so that it's hard to see the contours of the trail sometimes (it looks hazy and pinkish, actually, esp when I was out later in the afternoon a few weekends back). I worried about falling. Anyone else have this difficulty and how did you cope with it? Am getting a new prescription for my glasses so hope that helps.
I would see another doctor. Modern cataract surgery doesn't require waiting before treatment. at least that is what the doctors tell me. It no longer is neccessary for a cataract to "mature."

They remove the natural lens and slip in a soft plastic lens. It takes 20 minutes. Some people have instantaneous better vision. For others (me, for example) good vision returns gradually over a week or so.

I go back in November to have the second eye done.

Weary

Just Jeff
10-10-2006, 17:37
My wife's mother and grandfather both had surgery right after theirs were diagnosed...very little waiting. But of course each case is different - still worth finding out why your doctor said you needed to wait, though.

TIDE-HSV
10-10-2006, 18:03
with the others. My opthamologist told me a year ago that I had the beginning of cataracts. When I asked her when I should consider surgery, she said "As soon as you notice them." My secretary had both eyes done last year. She had been a life-long eyeglass wearer. Now, she needs none...

Sly
10-10-2006, 18:53
I can't help you with the cataracts, but I'm completely blind in one eye and yes, without depth perception, it makes it difficult to hike at times, especially on the downhills. It's one huge reason I use hiking poles.

Brushy Sage
10-10-2006, 19:26
I hiked 600 miles on the AT with cataracts in both eyes (age 72-73 at the time). The only problem was when I couldn't find my glasses one morning, and thought I might have to go into town for replacements. After a more thorough search I found them and continued my hike. When I got home I scheduled cataract surgery -- both eyes -- about two weeks apart. My vision is now clear, with 20/25 in one eye and 20/20 in the other.

bfitz
10-10-2006, 19:34
My dad had one eye recently and is going for the other soon. He did wait for ripening....

weary
10-10-2006, 23:23
My dad had one eye recently and is going for the other soon. He did wait for ripening....
AS I understand it, cataracts are a coating that developes on the lens of the eye. As the doctor explained it to me, removing the lens removes the coating. Replacing it with a properly fitted plastic lens, restores 20-20 vision in most cases.

I understand the technique is relatively new -- maybe a decade or so. Prior to the change, delaying surgery while the cataract "ripened" was common. It was also common to spend days in the hospital with the eyes kept immobile.

Now it's a 20 minute procedure conducted with just local anesthesia and you are in and out in a couple of hours. Things do look strange for a few days, The cataract causes you to see everything as having a yellow tinge.

With surgery the yellow disappears and the natural blue that we all saw as infants returns.

Weary

bfitz
10-11-2006, 14:04
Yeah, it's amazing. Be glad you didn't have cataracts 20 years ago! I can't wait to have mine so my insurance will pay for my vision correction. I've been thinking about the laser surgery for a while now!

Footslogger
10-11-2006, 14:13
So ...the consensus here is NOT to wait to have the cataract surgery ??

I had LASIK in 2001 and my distance vision is spectacular now, but I do wear reading glasses (+1.5)

Eye surgeon who did my LASIK said to me, as part of my pre-op exam, that he did see some cataracts forming. Don't have any serious cataract related vision symptoms as of yet and don't want to mess up the good that was done as part of my LASIK.

'Slogger

Blissful
10-11-2006, 14:24
I will likely go for a second opinion from an opthamologist esp since this bothers me the most when I'm outside (and I'll be outside for six months next year) The one who saw me yesterday was an optometrist.

weary
10-11-2006, 14:41
I will likely go for a second opinion from an opthamologist esp since this bothers me the most when I'm outside (and I'll be outside for six months next year) The one who saw me yesterday was an optometrist.
That may explain the "ripening" recommendation. An optometrist doesn't do surgery. They make their money selling you glasses as your vision deterirates. Opthamologist generally do surgery and treat diseases of the eye with medicines, though regulations about who is allowed to do what vary from state to state.

Many ethical opthamologist don't sell glasses so they won't be accused of selling you glasses you don't need. Rather they have an "independent" optician in the same building that does the selling of lenses and frames that meet the opthamologist's prescription.

Cynics like me suspect kickbacks may be involved.

Weary

bfitz
10-11-2006, 21:10
I have also heard that the "ripened" cataract is just easier to work with, mabye less surgical skill is required for success? I'm no doctor, but I always double check what my doctor is saying if I don't like it. Doctors are like mechanics...find a good one you trust and stick with him.

ShakeyLeggs
10-11-2006, 21:21
I have arthritus in my right eye socket. Diagnosed in 1995 with vision tested at 20/400. In my left eye I have 20/20. Does make for some very interesting days as the arthritus flares up. Some days are good others are a pain in the butt.