PDA

View Full Version : What do you do to fight boredom?

Michele
10-10-2006, 21:20
I'm anticipating the boredom factor that so many hikers talk about, and I know this can really put a negative twist on hiking sometimes. So, what are some interesting or fun things all of you have done to battle boredom other than taking an MP3 player or a novel?

I vote for taking 1 deck of cards and learning some 1 person card games. Here's a link I found that gives several card games' rules. Click on each one to see if it's for 1 person.

http://www.thegamesforum.com/fCardGames.html

Nean
10-10-2006, 21:35
I'm anticipating the boredom factor that so many hikers talk about, and I know this can really put a negative twist on hiking sometimes. So, what are some interesting or fun things all of you have done to battle boredom other than taking an MP3 player or a novel?

I vote for taking 1 deck of cards and learning some 1 person card games. Here's a link I found that gives several card games' rules. Click on each one to see if it's for 1 person.

I've never felt bored hiking.:eek: I just enjoy it too much.:-? Games can be fun too. :) It's usually all I can do to keep caught up in my journal.:o

The Will
10-10-2006, 21:38
Boredom is something I cannot claim to associate with any of my backcountry trips, but there are certain things I do to maximize the experience.

I like to do regional reading, meaning, I like to read material pertinent to the area that I am in. For example, if traveling through the Yukon Territory/Alaska the books on the Mad Trapper of Rat River would be choice or the writings of Jack London; for a trip of the Grand Canyon I'd select the diary of John Wesley Powell, etc. The National Parks Tend to have a nice selection of Natural and Cultural History titles in their visitor centers.

Additionally, field guides on everything from geology, to weather, astronomy, flowers and birds add demension to my experience.

Frisbies and hacky sacks are easy to pack.

peter_pan
10-10-2006, 21:38
Nobos with March/April starts won't have to play solitaire....every shelter area will be full....

Pan

blackbishop351
10-10-2006, 21:54

If you want a nice variety of solitaire AND multi-player games, get a copy of Hoyle's rules of games! I know a LOT of card games, but there's STILL games in that book that I don't know...

Gaiter
10-10-2006, 21:55
didn't get bored while hiking, I only hiked for 2 months though, I did manage to find a deck of mini cards that I only used when I was in a town, because that was the only time i was bored

Sly
10-10-2006, 22:03
LOL... if and when hiking becomes boring, it's time for some music. If you're stopped and you're bored, it's time for hiking.

Once you get in the groove, all of your time will be consumed.

TJ aka Teej
10-10-2006, 22:22
Look around you. You'll never be bored if you keep your eyes open.

Lone Wolf
10-10-2006, 22:48

Boredom, like"so many hikers talk about" doesn't exist. You need to stay home and knit.:)

weary
10-10-2006, 23:02

If you are bored in the woods and mountains you clearly have chosen the wrong hobby.

The trail is filled with fascinating, flowers, plants, and wildlife. I can't conceive of hiking without also taking an interest in the natural environment that surrounds the trails.

Weary

freefall
10-10-2006, 23:32
The trail is filled with fascinating, flowers, plants, and wildlife. I can't conceive of hiking without also taking an interest in the natural environment that surrounds the trails.

Weary

I found myself taking an hour or so at a time to watch local fauna. Or hiking every side trail trying to find the "perfect" lunch spot. Nope, can't say I was bored. Did have a deck of cards that got used to wait out rainstorms via impromptu spades, hearts or euchre games. And my radio.

UCONNMike
10-10-2006, 23:50
Boredom, like"so many hikers talk about" doesn't exist. You need to stay home and knit.:)

L. Wolf hit the nail righ ton the head, you don't get bored. Usually you are too tired to do anything anyway when you get to camp and cook and set up your crap. once you get into that sleeping bag you'll be sleeping, or you just talk and tell stories with the other hikers around you while you lay and fall asleep. As far as while you are hiking, I didnt carry any radio from Maine to CT, but once into NY i got a little AM/FM radio to listen to talk radio while I walked, but I made sure to only keep one earphone in, to listen for rattle snakes ;) But I wouldn't listen during really sweet areas, Shany's, Dragon's Tooth, Roan Higlands, Smokies, Blood Mountain, and obvi on the last couple of days. There is plenty to look and and think about as well, like TJ said. You'll find the littlest thigns interesting and be looking for more of your "favorite flowers, favorite colored mushrooms, lizards, etc..."

fiddlehead
10-11-2006, 07:41
if you find yourself bored when hiking, perhaps you need to find another passion. i get bored from tearing off roofs, but never from hiking.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
10-11-2006, 08:44
Michele, I learned some puzzle games (similar to those found on the tables at crackerbarrel's) that can be played with woodchips or pebbles and carried a 1/2 size deck of cards to keep my kids entertained (read keep them from wondering off) while I cooked or made camp. I've never gotten bored hiking. Sometimes I have chosen solitude for introspection, but I'm basically a social creature and the trail has nearly always provided company.

ZEKE #2
10-11-2006, 08:52
Hey, let's be easy. Some of these members are new to hiking and are asking questions related to other posts. I'd hope we could be an encouraging factor vs. telling people to stay home and knit! Michele, if you are new to hiking, I think you will have a hard time being bored. In the beginning there will be the shear excitement, then the equipment learning, socializing with others on the trail... let alone the sights and smells and sounds of the forest world. Good luck and happy trails.

Michele
10-11-2006, 09:09
Ok...let me elaborate a bit more here. I read a lot of trail journals this year about successful thru-hikers who had days/weeks when they were just "bored" with hiking. It was like a job to them. I've also read many people's journals who got off the trail due to "boredom." And yes, I have seen MANY people (on this site and in books that I've read) state that those people who romanticize the concept of a thru-hike are in for a surprise, because it's really hard work sometimes and can get plain old boring when the newness wears off.

I did a search on this topic before I posted this question, and the only thread that addressed it had 4 replies, bring an MP3 player and one person suggested the poster learn how to meditate.

I think I'm being quite realistic about this actually. I love the outdoors and hiking as much as the next person, but this is obviously a real issue particularly on a thru-hike, because I've seen it mentioned so much.

I was just looking for some ideas that maybe I hadn't considered (like trying to find that perfect lunch spot...I like that idea!), that would help me mix up the monotony that is bound to occur at some point in time.

Besides...I really don't think anyone would want to wear anything that I'd knit, considering I almost failed home economics in the 8th grade because I couldn't figure out how to sew!

Alligator
10-11-2006, 09:25
Get some kind of mental puzzle pad and rip off pages. Keep the main pad in a bounce box or have someone mail them to you. Sudoku comes to mind. You could throw the paper in the fire.

Gaiter
10-11-2006, 09:30
Ok...let me elaborate a bit more here. I read a lot of trail journals this year about successful thru-hikers who had days/weeks when they were just "bored" with hiking. It was like a job to them. I've also read many people's journals who got off the trail due to "boredom." And yes, I have seen MANY people (on this site and in books that I've read) state that those people who romanticize the concept of a thru-hike are in for a surprise, because it's really hard work sometimes and can get plain old boring when the newness wears off.

I think that is called Virginia, it becomes this long green tunnel.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
10-11-2006, 09:36
Michele, what you describe in your elaboration is more of a morale / motivation issue than boredom. Given your background, I have a feeling you have some experience with pressing on under difficult or adverse circumstances. The same coping strategies you used to get thru those times will serve you on the trail (in during rough patches of life). You are growing up nicely to fit your avatar :)

DawnTreader
10-11-2006, 09:42
I met a dude in Maine who carried twister and yahtzee.. Im not joking...
seriously though Michelle.. I don't think your off base on this. I have heard of what you claim, especially in the middle states. For me though, if I get bored on my thru-hike for an extended period of time, I will go home and come back later. That said I am fully anticipating bad days, "boring" days, or just low motivation on certain days. Your hammock should help some. When others were sitting, I was finding the perfect setup, sometimes this took some time.. I also take some hemp chord and make things on the trail..
Soduku is light... and my mp3 was priceless..

Sleepy the Arab
10-11-2006, 09:56
I never got bored. My mind is fun and magical place. Whee!

Ewker
10-11-2006, 10:15
boredom??? not if you go Pink Blazeing :eek: :cool:

Jaybird
10-11-2006, 10:23
I'm anticipating the boredom factor that so many hikers talk about,

WOW! not even on the trail yet...& talking about being bored...
you wont likely make it!

Good luck, none-the-less!:D

Gray Blazer
10-11-2006, 10:31
Some of these posts are far more boring than the AT. Don't worry about it...(yawn)...I'm feeling nappy. I think I'll go lie down.

weary
10-11-2006, 10:49
Michele, what you describe in your elaboration is more of a morale / motivation issue than boredom. Given your background, I have a feeling you have some experience with pressing on under difficult or adverse circumstances. The same coping strategies you used to get thru those times will serve you on the trail (in during rough patches of life). You are growing up nicely to fit your avatar :)
The bored people, I suspect, are those who see the trail as a challenge to be achieved, rather than a chance to spend six months in the woods and mountains.

If your only motivation is to pass every white blaze between Springer and Katahdin, and to get a piece of paper from ATC calling you a 2000-miler, than boredom is likely. If you have learned to enjoy trails, the woods and the mountains and to be curious about the natursl world before starting, you are unlikely to be bored.

A few lucky people are able to achieve an immediate love of and sense of curiosity about the natural world while on the trail. But it is more difficult.

My advice to thru hiker wannabes is to learn as much as you can about what the trail can offer before you start. If you already know the names of the common flowers, trees, fungi. bushes, birds and animals, it's fun to take notes and identify the "strangers" in libraries and bookstores in towns. Don't confine your investigations to large forms of wildlife. Butterflies, amphibians, turtles and "bugs" are also faxcinating, once one can differentiate between the common and the uncommon.

Without some basic knowledge, the natural world can be hopelessly confusing -- even boring.

Weary

STEVEM
10-11-2006, 11:44

I would suggest buying a good quality digital camera and learning how to use it before you begin your hike. You'll find a favorite subject: sunsets, people, birds, butterflies, whatever. You'll occupy your mind and hands and create a great record of your hike.

twosticks
10-11-2006, 11:50
I think it's going to be a personal preference when it comes to not getting bored. Most people here don't seem to get bored, while others will say bring a book. I'd say the idea of a book relative to the area is a great idea. You could bring some books and plan out the next big thing in your life. I think books on the local flora and fauna would be a great idea. Even the SAS survival book is a good idea, though it is kinda of heavy. it all depends on what drives you. When you're sitting at work bored off your backside, what do you do? Do you like the news, books, whiteblaze.net? I bring a small rope and a knot tying book and try not to tie myself to a tree. You could play mental bingo with the stuff you see around you. How about roll playing when the boredom is thick? Picture yourself as the first person to see this new unchartered territory. (just don't mind the people you pass). Lots of thigns to do.

Michele
10-11-2006, 12:20
WOW! not even on the trail yet...& talking about being bored...
you wont likely make it!

Good luck, none-the-less!:D

Actually Jaybird, I consider myself smart for thinking about these things ahead of time....so hold your judgements to yourself please (joking or not...hard to tell on-line). I try to think about ALL of the things that I COULD encounter out there, not just the feel good stuff. I read in a book that you'd better have answers to that question "Why am I here?" because most thru-hikers admit to thinking about getting off the trail early at some point in time. So now that I'm comfortable w/my gear choices, working on saving the $, and working on physically preparing, I thought I'd post a question about the mental side of this journey.

Thanks to everyone who has posted constructive ideas, and for the rest of ya :bse :D

The Weasel
10-11-2006, 13:07
I think snarky comments to a legitimate question are, frankly, well, snarky. Michelle raises a fair point, and I think anyone who has thru hiked or done serious long distances has to know what she is striving to articulate: There are points where hiking, and even the AT, are not filled with joyous wonder falling, manna-like, from the skies. It's 5 million blasted steps, and only the last one doesn't have another one in front of it. And boredom, or mild depression, or poor morale, are common: We all know what "Trail Blues" are or, if we don't, we're unusual, frankly.

That said, I'll try to come up with a few things that reduce/prevent such feelings:

- Hike with others. Not necessarily side by side, but make friends at shelters that you will see for several days. Socializing is about the only real benefit of shelters, and it gives you things to think about as you walk. These people are your 'support group.'
- Have some food variety. Even if you go ultralight, you can vary food from pasta to rice to yellow grits/polenta, and have some different sauces and spices. Breakfast can be varied some, and so can lunch. It seems small, but if food doesn't taste the same every bloody day, it makes you feel better.
- Stop at every shelter that is on or very close to the trail and read a little of the shelter journal and leave at least a short note. Breaks help prevent monotony, and journals can lift your spirits, tell you about trail conditions, and remind you that you're part of a larger community.
- Take a LOT of pictures. Figure out your camera's capacity (if digital) or how many shots on a roll of film, divide by the number of days you'll be out, and make sure you take that many daily. Taking pictures reminds you, "This is a cool place." It also makes you look at things differently; you're not looking at a long damn path 18" wide that goes on forever, but at things saying to yourself, "Would this be a cool picture?"

There are more.

The Weasel

RockyTrail
10-11-2006, 14:51
, I consider myself smart for thinking about these things ahead of time....so hold your judgements to yourself please (joking or not...hard to tell on-line). I try to think about ALL of the things that I COULD encounter out there, not just the feel good stuff :D

Excellent idea, Michele!
It doesn't hurt to plan, at least sketch out, the various "what ifs?"

I like to do the same thing, however I find there are so many distractions in everyday life it usually never gets done.
Ironically, you will find you have the most time to do this...when you are on the trail!
Usually, I get more thinking done on a long day's (solo) hike than in the previous six months combined!

SteveJ
10-11-2006, 15:04
Great suggestions, Weasel. Could I also suggest:

- Take a LOT of pictures. Figure out your camera's capacity (if digital) or how many shots on a roll of film, divide by the number of days you'll be out, and make sure you take that many daily. Taking pictures reminds you, "This is a cool place." It also makes you look at things differently; you're not looking at a long damn path 18" wide that goes on forever, but at things saying to yourself, "Would this be a cool picture?"

There are more.

The Weasel

...and bring a journal to make note of who/what/where you're taking pics of.....

highway
10-11-2006, 15:28
Bored?
I suspect if I were bored, I wouldn't go.

I suspect I go because I am bored

Michele
10-11-2006, 15:38
Excellent idea, Michele!
It doesn't hurt to plan, at least sketch out, the various "what ifs?"

I like to do the same thing, however I find there are so many distractions in everyday life it usually never gets done.
Ironically, you will find you have the most time to do this...when you are on the trail!
Usually, I get more thinking done on a long day's (solo) hike than in the previous six months combined!

Isn't that the truth. I've had some great ideas for inventions suddenly pop into my head while solo hiking (which is all I've ever done). Funny how when I get home and try to make them, they never work! :D

sprocket06
10-11-2006, 15:40
I'm finishing up my thru-hike. Let me just say that boredom of hiking started after the first week. headphones do help, I preferered the kind with a tuner. I also developed the technique of reading while hiking, just not in rocky sections of Pennsylvania. Uphill is the easiest and downhill the most daring. I neither hiked as fast nor did I read as fast as normal, but I had all the time in the world.

hopefulhiker
10-11-2006, 16:04
I got a little bored during the Green Tunnel of VA. I resorted to books on Mp3 player.. Later I dropped the Mp3 player... The trail is really exciting in the last three states....

Webs
10-11-2006, 19:52
i loved planning out the next day (up to a point of course) i.e: the first water/snack break, a likely lunch spot, a good distance for snack break #12, etc. :) hmmmm, a little food-oriented perhaps, but you get the idea. sudoku, journaling (took effort but i'm beyond glad that i did it), maybe a newspaper when you stop into town if you want to stay connected w/the world...pretty much what everyone else said:cool:

sirbingo
05-04-2007, 11:20

Check out this list of free print out and play Solitaire games

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/19411

I've actually played Island Of D 2: The Shadow of Dawn (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/19212) on the trail a hoot.

:)

RockStar
05-04-2007, 17:49
I am considering buying a "Learn Spanish" Audio and putting it on my mp3 player. Just listening to it over again when done...really letting it sink in! ;)

Gray Blazer
05-04-2007, 17:53
I am considering buying a "Learn Spanish" Audio and putting it on my mp3 player. Just listening to it over again when done...really letting it sink in! ;)
!Ay Dios Mio!

Lyle
05-04-2007, 19:29
A section hiker that I informally hooked up with last year had brought along some dice. Very light-weight and made for some entertaining evenings at the shelters playing Yahtzee. A couple of the thru-hikers decided to get some of their own they enjoyed the competition so much.

Another thru-hiker carried Soduko puzzles, claimed they gave him mental exercise to go along with all the physical.

RockStar
05-05-2007, 02:49
!Ay Dios Mio!
lol :D

A section hiker that I informally hooked up with last year had brought along some dice. Very light-weight and made for some entertaining evenings at the shelters playing Yahtzee. A couple of the thru-hikers decided to get some of their own they enjoyed the competition so much.

Another thru-hiker carried Soduko puzzles, claimed they gave him mental exercise to go along with all the physical.

I got a Farkel Dice set that came in a film canister for Christmas this past year! Its kinda like blisters I hear. :)

Grinder
05-05-2007, 08:54
I think it's important to note:

Michele started this thread last October, before getting on the trail.

Michelle is now on the trail for approaching two months. She has a trail Journal which she posts to faithfully. (trail name "certain")

No where does she mention "boredom", now that she is immersed in the real thing.

Miles of Smiles
Tom

RockStar
05-05-2007, 16:34
I am aware of that and was responding to the guys that just posted. Her journal is great BTW!