PDA

View Full Version : finished Foothills Trail! -- PICTURES!!

FHThiker
10-11-2006, 14:07
Hi everyone, I posted a couple weeks ago about my excitement for my (then upcoming) Foothills Trail hike. I walked out yesterday...a day ahead of schedule...around 79 miles (with a spur trail or two) in 5 days! It was an INCREDIBLE time. It was my first long hike. Here's my pics...all of them are narrated:

http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/554291481gZBgwF

Let me know your thoughts...

trippclark
10-11-2006, 14:55
Looks like a great time. I have hiked many sections of the FHT, but not the whole thing. Thanks for sharing.

Phreak
10-11-2006, 15:24
Glad to hear you enjoyed your trip! :)

I'm headed back out this Saturday to hike Oconee to Table Rock.

FHThiker
10-11-2006, 16:05
Glad to hear you enjoyed your trip! :)

I'm headed back out this Saturday to hike Oconee to Table Rock.

Hey Phreak...didn't you just finish your second FHT hike of the year...and you're going back for a third? How long are taking for this one?

I can't wait to back and do Oconee to Table Rock now :)

Phreak
10-11-2006, 16:19
Hey Phreak...didn't you just finish your second FHT hike of the year...and you're going back for a third? How long are
taking for this one?

Yeah, I didn't intend to hike it again until late January or early February when I'm going to try to complete it in under 24 hours, but decided to join G8trh8tr on his Foothills trip starting this weekend. I'm hoping the leaves have started to change and I can get some good pics. This is going to be a leisurely hike. I have 6 days for this trip, so I plan on relaxing a lot. Low mileage and slow pace.

I'm having surgery on my right leg on the 20th, so this will be my last chance to backpack until after Christmas.

Did you pass many people on your trip? The trail was 'dead' during my last hike... only passed a handful of people (mostly near the Chattooga River).

FHThiker
10-11-2006, 16:28
Yeah, I didn't intend to hike it again until late January or early February when I'm going to try to complete it in under 24 hours, but decided to join G8trh8tr on his Foothills trip starting this weekend. I'm hoping the leaves have started to change and I can get some good pics. This is going to be a leisurely hike. I have 6 days for this trip, so I plan on relaxing a lot. Low mileage and slow pace.

I'm having surgery on my right leg on the 20th, so this will be my last chance to backpack until after Christmas.

Did you pass many people on your trip? The trail was 'dead' during my last hike... only passed a handful of people (mostly near the Chattooga River).

I only met one other FHT hiker...on my 4th day descending down to that parking lot at Sloan Bridge there was a "senior" gentleman relaxing there. He was thru-hiking from TR to Oconee. He started one day earlier and I caught up and passed him. He was planning on a full 7 days. And then other than a casual day hiker (doing only like 8 miles total) who entered on Horsepasture Road--he was going down to Toxaway, that was IT!! I was surprised at the lack of hikers.

When I was descending into the Burrell's Ford area, I *heard* a few tourist type people down by the Chatooga, but never talked or saw them. Just like your hike, it was MEGA-DEAD on the trail...just the way I like it :)

Rain Man
10-11-2006, 18:31
Good pictures made great by all the info given, Where, When, What, etc.!

Thanks for such quality sharing!!!

Rain:sunMan

Chalumeau
10-11-2006, 19:24
I was in the Foothills trail region bird-watching last weekend and made up my mind that I had to come back and hike the Foothills trail - hopefully next Spring - your pictures make me all the more excited at the prospect.

THANKS!

Webs
10-11-2006, 19:43
i hiked the foothills trail this past spring and, like you, it was my first long hike of more than a couple days. it was FANTASTIC!!! i probably saw around average two people a day, more around the river and table rock SP. i was quite surprised at how challenging it was, considering it's in SC :rolleyes: glad you had fun, happy hiking!:sun